Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monkavetto Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Jan 5, 2009, 09:58 PM
    Weak heat in daughters' room
    I have a sidesplit house in southern MN... yes its cold. However, the basement of this house is almost uncomfortable cold, as well is my daughters' bedroom. The furnace is gas in the back left of the house in the basement, daughters' room is upstairs front right, basically as far away as possible from the actual furnace. I have no idea what the equipment actually is, but I'm wondering if there are any inexpensive/SAFE ways to get the heat distributed equally, or close to equal. We have the temp set at ~70 degrees all winter, but I would have to ballpark the basement at ~55-60 degrees and the girls' room at ~60-65 degrees. I have attempted to close all of the upstairs vents and force the heat to the basement in hopes of radiant heating the upstairs and making the basement comfortable... that was strike 1. all that did for me was make the upstairs colder and for that to work, the heat would have to be at ~75+ degrees, and with gas at the price it is, that's not happening... Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    chrisrvc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 10:23 PM
    If the basement is very cold, I would recommend looking into some sort of insulation that wraps around your trunk lines and vent pipes. My basement is cold and I find that that cools down the heat travelling through the furnace. By the time it reaches the register the air is cold LOL. I just think the insulation would help, hopefully I've helped you in some way
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 6, 2009, 08:58 AM

What you describe sounds like your ductwork may not be adequate. Its impossible to tell if your ductwork was designed and installed correctly to mate with your furnace but there are a number of things you can look into:
    • Search on how to properly design and install ductwork
    • Insulate any runs that are in unconditioned spaces
    • See if the sizing of the duct returns and supply trunk and runs is adequate
    • Verify you have dampers on all supply runs
    • Sometimes a booster fan on a longish run can help
    • Get a copy of the Manual D to understand the intricasies of ductwork

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older toilets -- weak swirl, weak flush [ 24 Answers ]

Hope someone can help. Our toilets are original to the house, 20-plus years old. When flushed, the swirl isn't strong enough to completely flush the bowl. The bowl does NOT overflow, but it has to be flushed multiple times. We have very hard water where we live, despite having a regularly...

No heat in one room [ 1 Answers ]

I turn the heat back on after the summer and there is no heat coming up in the living room. I have electric base board heating. All the other rooms work fine. Each room has it's own thermostat. The termostat for the room does not appear any different than the others. ...

One Room Not Getting Heat [ 4 Answers ]

My child's upstairs room is the only room that does not receive heat.The landlord said the problem is probably that her room is the farthest from the furnace,which he says is outdoors.Could that really be the problem?I've lived in other places and never heard such a thing or had this problem.None...

No heat in 2nd fl room [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 zone system and the master bed room on 2nd floor is barely heating. I have the themostate in the master room set to 68 degrees and the fan set to auto. There is also a return air vent in room. There are 2 heat vent on ceiling. When I put my hand under it, it is warm but the whole room...

120 volt Kenmore dryer weak heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have one of those small "apartment sized" 110 or 120 volt dryers that runs fine and does heat but it's so weak it takes way too long to dry clothes. I've tested every sensor and the heating element and they all check out fine. Air flow seems fine too. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, it's a...

View more questions Search