Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 5, 2009, 09:27 PM
    History Channel
    Has anyone noticed that there seems to be less and less actual history on the history channel?

Maybe I'm just not watching at the rights times. I normally watch TV sometime between 7PM and midnight.

Seems all I see is stuff about UFO's.

The religious stuff is interesting. This week they are doing 7 signs of the apocolipse. I find the series very depressing.

I kind of miss the old programs about the nations founding.

And I have had my fill of Nostradamus and the trillion ways we are all going to die a horriffic death in the next few years.

Anyone else notice this?
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Jan 9, 2009, 09:37 PM

Yes I have. It drives me crazy!! Especially the ufos. I just don't watch it anymore. I'd rather just be oblivious to how I'm going to go instead of being told by a nostradamus special on the history channel:-P

There's another channel called History International though that still carries mostly history programs. Unfortunately if you're like me and have the basic package you don't get that channel.

I want the old history channel back:-(

Jan 9, 2009, 09:53 PM
    I subscribed to DTV total plus about 9 months ago, and it's been worth the extra five bucks. You also get other extras like the Science channel which as some cool stuff on it. Not quite as well made as the history channel produces, but still not bad when there's nothing else on.

One of my favorite history channel programs is Modern Marvels. I also enjoy programs about the great depression, prohibition, and other events of the early 20th century.

I also find the civil war and revolutionary war stuff very interesting.

There is some actual history in some of this religious stuff (like the 7 deadly sins), but I don't think it's enough history to warrant a whole month of it. Maybe an hour or two per week.

Megadisasters makes me just not want to even live anymore (lol) It's like, I finish watching the show, and I just feel like we "what the hell, we're all gonna die tomorrow anyway".

You know, I like to think I'm going to live to be an old man you know!

Jan 9, 2009, 10:25 PM

I hear you! I teach U.S. History: 1877 to the Present so I like the shows that are in my subject area. WWII is my favorite. There are some Modern Marvels episodes on WWII weapons, etc. which is cool. WWI, WWII, the Great Depression, and the Cold War are my favorite subjects to teach so any programs on those topics I love!

Jan 10, 2009, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tadita83 View Post
    I hear ya! I teach U.S. History: 1877 to the Present so I like the shows that are in my subject area. WWII is my favorite. There are some Modern Marvels episodes on WWII weapons, etc. which is cool. WWI, WWII, the Great Depression, and the Cold War are my favorite subjects to teach so any programs on those topics I love!
    SPUTNIK is on history international tonight (1-10-09) I'm watching it now.

Jan 11, 2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately I don't have that channel:( and I wasn't home to see it:( I bet it was good though.

Ever seen Dr. Strangelove, probably the best Cold War movie ever and funny. I tried to show it to my kids at school one year and it was totally over their heads.

I would laugh at parts that were funny and they would just stare at me like I was crazy.

Needless to say I never showed that movie again:) should just stick to dr. suess' bread and butter book!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 02:44 PM

The History Channel like any other channel obviously has to run new stuff or their ratings will tank. Just wait a little bit and the programs that you like will be back on. It comes in cycles I've noticed. And after you've seen one series of history programs, don't you think everyone else has seen the same stuff as well?

Yes, I've noticed the doom and gloom stuff on there lately. Also I've noticed the terror inspired stuff as well with the advent of weather manipulation and what if... has been quite prevalent on TV lately.

This is one reason why I just watch the Discovery Channel or National Geographic channel or the History Channel only when there is something on that appeals to me... and sadly lately there hasn't been much on worth wasting the electricity to run the telly.

Jan 14, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Yea,

And it's a shame because in my opinion, The History channel set the bar for how to do a documentary. I've always found them very well produced, no matter what they are doing a documentary of. Very well done.

It's just a shame to see this "producing" talent wasted on (like you said) "what if's" UFO's and other speculations.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2009, 06:50 PM

Buy a few books to read and just wait them out. The History Channel will rise again with some good programming.

Jan 17, 2009, 08:01 PM

History channel must have heard me fussin.

Washington and Jackson on tonight.

This is a little more like it...

And it's on regular history tatida, so you can watch too!

Jan 17, 2009, 09:39 PM

Whoohoo!

Boy I wish Andrew Jackson was alive and running today. That saga about the US bank had me paying close attention, and when I learned he was the first and ONLY president to pay off the national debt, I almost stood and salute!

"Jackson beleived the governent should live within it's means"

*head spins* for a novel concept!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

History and or haunted history records on a residential home [ 4 Answers ]

Would like to get free information re: a homes history or haunted history by researching prior tenants or owners to a property located in Vacaville, California. Address: 125 Andover Drive Vacaville CA 95687 curious as to anyone having information on suicide death at this residence. Please help.

I need my TV on the av channel [ 2 Answers ]

o.k. so I have a TV and all it has is a d on it so I don't no what the brand is and need the TV to turn to the av channel but I broke the remote and I've bought other remotes but none of the codes work how do I fix this

Set up Dish 2 channel box to record on one channel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I think that I understand this but I want to ask if my I have gotten is right. I am getting a dual channel Dish box. I currently have my single channel Dish box hooked up to a Sony DMR EZ27 DVD recorder. I have the Main (the shielded single cable) video output going from the Dish box...

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

What channel? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in America and I love worldcup soccer. I am the biggest portugal and Italy fan in America. I would like to watch my fav. Club teams play for example barcelona, real madrid, fc roma, any club team. What station can I watch these soccer games on? :confused:

View more questions Search