Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rjbeery Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 08:50 PM
    Adding an auxiliary thermostat to turn on fan on furnace
    Hi guys,
    Need some advice/direction and hopefully some diagrams to follow. I have recently installed a coal boiler and installed a coil in my existing duct work. I am going to use my existing propane furnace fan to blow the heat off the coil.

What I am unsure of is how to add an auxiliary thermostat so the fan will kick on from my furnace, but not the heating component of the furnace?

I'm using the coal as the primary heating source, but only want to use the fan on my furnace to take the heat off the coil. Please help. Thanks Bob ([email protected])
    royboy74 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 01:36 AM
    Does your thermostat have a fan on switch? Cheapest way turn it from auto to on other wise you will need a fan limit wired to coal stove
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 04:23 AM
    I would suggest using a dual-fuel/heat pump thermostat if you want the system to be fully automatic. The coal boiler and furnace fan could be controlled as the first stage, and the LP furnace will kick in if the coal fire dies and the indoor temperature starts falling.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Jan 6, 2009, 09:01 AM

I recommend going with KC13's advice and you will be happy and pleased with how automatic it will work. A dual fuel tstat will give you many capabilities beyond what you want to do now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat can't turn off furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved in a house, and pretty new to all applicances inside. I changed the old mercury thermostat to a programmable Honeywell one, because the old one can't stop furnace unless lasting a long time, say half an hour. One night the furnace continued burning until room temperature reached...

No heat from vents Heil , after putting in new thermostat furnace will not turn on [ 14 Answers ]

New 100,000 80% Heil furnace put in 12-19-1997 - no heat coming out of the vents. Diagnosis from 2 different people was : 1. trace the wiring from the thermostat and the blower, because the blower works, but there is no heat so somehow the thermostat is not sending the message to the...

Honeywell thermostat works and trane heatpump and furnace won't turn on [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on my honeywell thermostat it says its on, but the furnace and the heatpump don't don't turn on. What could the problem be?

Procedure for adding gas stove turn off value [ 2 Answers ]

What is the proper step by step procedure from shutting off gas to turning it back on when installing a shut off valve to the stove gas line? When one shuts off the main gas do I need to wait any length of time before I remove the existing connection on the stove and add the new shut off valve? Do...

Changed Thermostat will not automatically turn Furnace on [ 1 Answers ]

We changed our old honeywell thermostat (with mercury) to an updated honeywell thermostat (with no mercury) CT87K. After we changed the thermostat the furnace will not automatically kick on and it actually shut off so we had to hit the reset button. The furnace at times now will turn of if we put...

View more questions Search