Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbsolanki Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 07:40 PM
    State tax with multiple state involved
    I am working for consultant company based in Atlanta, GA.
    The company which pays me is basically hiring service agency in Atlanta GA. I am working as contractor in a company loacted in Kansas City, MO. My actual work place is Kansas City, MO. I live in Overland Park, KS.
    What could be state tax for state of Georgia, Missouri and Kansas in my case?
    For which state I have withholding?
    For which state I have to file return? How tax paid to other state can be adjusted?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 02:51 AM

If you are living and working in KS, you report income only on KS tax return.
    There is no requirement to file Georgia or Missouri tax return. Get a letter from employer that you worked form KS and were present in Georgia or Missouri.

You will report your income and expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3%. Read about self employed (or independent contractor) tax filing and payment of estimated taxes: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor

Jan 6, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    If you are living and working in KS, you report income only on KS tax return.
    There is no requirement to file Georgia or Missouri tax return. Get a letter from employer that you worked form KS and were present in Georgia or Missouri.

You will report your income and expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). This income is subject to SE tax at 15.3%. Read about self employed (or independent contractor) tax filing and payment of estimated taxes: Your U.S. Tax Return: Tax Filing by Self Employed Sole Proprietor or Independent Contractor
    My actual work place is Kansas city, MO which not in Kansas state.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 06:12 PM
    Then the advice applies for Missouri, not Kansas.
    trekbowler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2009, 09:53 PM
    You still need to file your KS state income tax return, however you need to find the form on MO Dept. of Revenues website which is an exemption form due to state taxes paid to another state. This is REQUIRED! I had not done this (unintentionally) for two years, and suddenly and shockingly started receiving letters stating I owed large sums of money to the state of MO. I ended up having to jump through tons of hoops but didn't pay any fees/fines, but just remember to do this each year. I live in Downtown KC and work in OP as well.

Good Luck

Jason
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Jason's post indicates that Kansas and Missouri have a reciprocity agreement.

If so, then follow his advice and submit to the Missouri Departmet of Revenue the form to get an exemption from filing the Missouri state tax return.

Jan 26, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trekbowler View Post
    You still need to file your KS state income tax return, however you need to find the form on MO Dept. of Revenues website which is an exemption form due to state taxes paid to another state. This is REQUIRED! I had not done this (unintentionally) for two years, and suddenly and shockingly started receiving letters stating I owed large sums of money to the state of MO. I ended up having to jump through tons of hoops but didnt pay any fees/fines, but just remember to do this each year. I live in Downtown KC and work in OP as well.

Good Luck

Jason
    Thank you very much Jason.
    Would you please give me th form number?

Rajesh
    trekbowler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 01:21 PM
    The form is called Form MO-CR.

Here is the link from the Missouri Dept. of Revenue website:

http://dor.mo.gov/tax/personal/indiv.../2008/mocr.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multiple state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I currently live in Florida and work for a company out of New York. While in Florida, I pay no state taxes. The problem is that I am now working Georgia and South Carolina. They are taking taxes for each state. I don't see how this is fair seeing as I will never benefit from this. Can I file...

Multiple state taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I moved from Illinois to California in early February. So, what are the state tax forms that I need to file. Do I need to file the NR forms for both states since I was a part-resident? Thanks Satish

Multiple State - NY and PA [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am a NY resident and my employer is in PA and with held my 2006 taxes with PA. But I work for client in NY. Do I file taxes to NY or PA. I was told I have to file taxes to PA as Non- Resident and file NY taxes as Resident.:rolleyes: Did my employer really screw up with holding PA...

Multiple State Tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work for on H1B visa for a software consulting firm that is based Texas. They run the payroll in Texas and withhold Federal Tax but no state tax. I was contracted to work for a client that has offices in 2 states where I worked in the following order for year 2006: 1. Worked in...

H1B and Multiple State [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is regarding my tax return for 2005. I was in USA from 28 Nov 2004 till 2 Apr 2005 in Chicago, IL on H1B. I came back here on Oct 10, 2005 in Salt Lake City, UT on H1B. My wife joined me here on Jan 6, 2006. On my W2 tax stauts is Married and state tax is MI as my employer is...

View more questions Search