Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nasra Posts: 54, Reputation: 7

Jul 21, 2006, 05:00 PM
    Water colours
    I never have much spare time at the moment, but I am thinking of joining a water colour class. I am quite artistic, sketches I like to draw are of people, especially faces, but I have never thought about water colours and landscapes, at the moment my favourite artist is claude monet. To get kitted out i.e. paint brushes sheets of drawing paper things like that do you think it would cost a fair wack.:) :) :) :) ie: do you think it's a expensive hobbie, I am quite short these days
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 21, 2006, 05:27 PM
    It would be cheaper than oils or acrylics certainly but its hard to say what expensive is seeing its such a relative term? Don't use drawing paper as it takes to the moisture poorly -- there are specific water colour papers. And where I shop, you can get a small set of paints and then add on over time so the expense is spread out a bit. I wouldn't go cheap on the brushes though, they are critical in my opinion. And I have to warn you, having been an illustrator who eventually painted myself, its nothing like drawing. LOL You should have great fun!

Jul 21, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Can't, wait thanks Val, I was just reading a article of a woman in my home town who through a cripiling illness starting when she was 10 yrs, discovered water colours and landscape painting, her pictures now sell for a lot of money, but its not the money it's the beauty in her paintings, the cripiling illness has effected her arms and hands as well and she uses special brushes. With all the difficulties she has managed to find something that sometimes makes her forget about her illness and that is just priceless.:) :) :) :)

Jul 22, 2006, 05:27 AM
    How sweet and inspiring she sounds! I am also hoping Orange will be along to add her views to this thread as she is an artist and may be a water colourist too -- check out her avatar, she drew it herself.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2006, 01:10 AM
    Well it seems I have been summoned here! ;) Val has given you good advice already. As she says, I am an artist, and I largely work with acrylics, assemblage and illustration, but I do use some watercolour, so I will add my input.

Watercolour is definitely less expensive than some of the other media, and especially since you are just starting, you will not need to worry about getting the highest quality supplies. The higher the quality of supplies the better the painting of course, but I assume that since you are starting, many of your paintings will be practice pieces, so you won't want to spend a fortune. Here are a few things to consider:

Paper: For beginners, medium-grain watercolour paper is best. It dries more quickly than course-grain and is easier to work with than fine grain. You can paint slowly on medium-grain and still not "wreck" or "overpaint" the piece. To save money, buy smaller sheets of paper (like letter size or slightly larger), rather than the large canvas-like sizes. You can also get away with buying generic or low-end brand pads of watercolour paper, the kind you find at a druggists or supermarket. Just make sure it says "medium grain".

Paint: Watercolour paints come in many forms:

Dry round disks in pallettes, to which you add water: Usually these are of lower quality and meant for beginners, but there are some better quality dry paints available.

Watercolour pencils: good if you can draw well, since you draw, colour, and then add the moisture with a wet brush. General's is a good quality, but not outrageously priced brand, if you are interested in these. You do need to be careful with colours running together, however.

Moist tablets in tins or pallettes: usually used by professionals, and more expensive than the above 2 choices.

Creamy paint in tubes: again, mostly used by professionals. However, there are decent quality generic brands of creamy watercolours, so price is not as much of a consideration.

Liquid paint in jars: used mostly by professional illustrators.

Brushes: Here you should splurge if you can. A cheap brush makes even the best paint on the best paper look shoddy. These days there are some very good synthetic brushes, but I personally prefer brushes made with real hair. My ideal brush set for watercolour is 5 brushes: three sable hair brushes in sizes 8, 12, and 14, a size 24 ox hair brush, and a wide Japanese deer hair brush. Or, if the thought of real hair makes you squeamish, a good quality synthetic brush set, using the same brush sizes.

It would be ideal if you have a large department-like art store such as Michael's near you, as this tends to be cheaper, especially for a beginner, than buying from a small art shop. Michael's has a wide selection of good quality generic art supplies such as paints, brushes, easels, paper, etc. I would also suggest that you go to the library and borrow some books on watercolour painting techniques. You may find that you'd like to try some painting on your own before joining a class.

I'm including an attachment of a watercolour illustration which utilizes watercolour pencils, creamy watercolours and a *tiny* bit of acrylic. It's not typical of watercolours but it shows that there's a lot that can be done with watercolour. My favorite watercolour artist, other than the classics of course, is the Asian illustrator Jimmyspa. His site appears to be being re-vamped at the moment, but it is well worth bookmarking to look at later. You may also consider the Asian watercolour technique helpful... many beginners find it easier than the western styles and the results are quite beautiful! Try googling "Chinese painting techniques".

Good luck to you, I hope you will love painting as much as drawing!
    Attached Images

Jul 25, 2006, 04:14 AM
    Hi orange,

Thanks for your great insight into the water colour painting world, when you are a beginner you know absolutely nothing about papers, paints, etc, I thought you could use ordinary drawing paper ha ha. The picture of the cat is so viabrant the colours are so beautiful and really stand out. Did you paint the picture? Also the jimmy spa asian painter, uses interesting and unsual subjects with again vibarant and beautiful colours in his pictures. If and when ever I get started I would like to paint with the same vibrancy, I have seen some water colours that are quite watery if you know my meaning and some use a lot of pastle colours. Which isn't my cup of tea. I also read about your experiences in life, you have gone through a lot, but I am sure the experience have made you the person you are today, which shows me in your writing caring take care.:) :)

Jul 25, 2006, 05:07 AM
    Winks at Nasra, I just knew she'd have some really interesting stuff to say... Thanks Chava (hug)
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 25, 2006, 05:29 AM
    Absolutely awesome picture, Orange. Beautiful work. :)

Jul 25, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Hi Val,

You are right Orange is very Artistic, I wish I was half as good, as you can see she has also shown me some other artist I didn't new existed. Thanks Val:) :)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Thanks guys! :)

Quote Originally Posted by nasra
    I have seen some water colours that are quite watery if you know my meaning and some use a lot of pastle colours.
    Yes some watercolours are made that way on purpose... it's a certain style, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Some people really like it, but like you I also enjoy vibrant colours a lot more. Other times, paintings look like that simply because people have used too much water. If you like the more vibrant colours, I would suggest either being very sparse with your water, or investing in a higher end form of watercolour paint, such as the creamy tubes or moist tins. You could also buy some crafter's acrylic (very inexpensive) and use a bit of that in your paintings to bring out the colour more.

Quote Originally Posted by nasra
    I also read about your experiences in life, you have gone through a lot, but I am sure the experience have made you the person you are today, which shows me in your writing caring take care.
    Thanks so much nasra. That really touched me, especially today since I have come down with a horrible flu, which 2 of the kids now have too, so I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself!

Anyway good luck with your painting, and if you feel like it, post a painting here so we can see it! :)

Jul 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Your on Orange, I will once I get started, which might be next week. But I am a beginner so it will take me years before I can post anything good! But I will keep you guys posted with each stage I reach in painting. Sorry you and your kids have got flu, you take care now and drink plenty of hot lemon and honey and plenty of chicken soup take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Colours for new borns [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Does anybody know what kind of effect has the colours on new borns? What kind of colours are recomanded for room, clothes,. What kind of effect has each one? Thank you.

View more questions Search