Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdybear2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Hipaa violation
    If I am working as a certified nursing assistant on a skilled nursing unit and I get into a patients chart to call a patients family member for my own personal gains, is that a hipaa violation and can I be terminated?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tdybear2 View Post
    If I am working as a certified nursing assistant on a skilled nursing unit and I get into a patients chart to call a patients family member for my own personal gains, is that a hipaa violation and can I be terminated?

Is that a HIPAA violation - yes; can you be terminated, yes.

This wasn't covered in your CNA training? Why would you do something like this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Of course it's a HIPAA violation!! Is this really a serious question?

And yes, you could and SHOULD be terminated for this.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Of course it's a HIPAA violation!!! Is this really a serious question?

And yes, you could and SHOULD be terminated for this.

Is a CNA licensed? Could he/she lose her license for this?
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Judy, they are not licensed per se... but rather certified.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Judy, they are not licensed per se...but rather certified.

Hmm - so CNA's are sort of immune from being suspended, as Nurses would be - or censured or whatever the health profession calls it?

Same in NY with Paralegals - one of the reasons I continue to push to license (or otherwise regulate) Paralegals.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 5, 2009, 04:30 PM

I smell troll.
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I smell troll.

Gee, Scott - I showered this morning.

Oh, wait, maybe you don't mean me.

Based on a tingling of your spidey senses or something else?

Jan 5, 2009, 04:45 PM

Just a tingling. When someone asks a question with such an obvious answer, its trollish.
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I smell troll.
    Oh, I got a cold, can't smell a darn thing. :o

I should have known better.
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Hmm - so CNA's are sort of immune from being suspended, as Nurses would be - or censured or whatever the health profession calls it?
    Either way...

CNAs can lose their certification just as nurses can lose their licenses. They are not immune at all.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 8, 2009, 09:00 AM

Any medical professional or anyone with access to healthcare information are not immune to hipaa

We are allowed to say "patient" but nothing to give away the identity of the patient in any way

We aren't allowed to share any personal information about the patient in any way unless medically necessary to treat the patient (being with other doctors or other medical professionals to treat patient or if patient is unable to speak for self often family steps in for medical care, like if the patient was unconscious)

Any violations, depending on the severity, can result in your licensure being revoked or in some cases jail time

In this case the worst would be a the fine is 250,00 dollars and 10 years jail time

HIPAA Penalties
    americk Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 05:19 PM

ACNA should know better than to ask a question like this! Of course it's a HIPPA violation and yes, you could be terminated. While you are not licensed, your certification can also be suspended which would prevent you from acquiring another CNA job in the future.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by americk View Post
    ACNA should know better than to ask a question like this! Of course it's a HIPPA violation and yes, you could be terminated. While you are not licensed, your certification can also be suspended which would prevent you from acquiring another CNA job in the future.

I trust this is a typo and it's a side issue but it's HIPAA - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Feb 5, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by americk View Post
    And how does your advice differ from the 12 other responses posted before your? As you are new here, you may not be aware that its not good practice to add superfluous responses.
    americk Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 05:30 AM
    Excuse the typo - HIPAA was intended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently fired from my job for violating HIPAA for allegedly leaving a door open to a shed that contains charts of present and former patients. No charts are known to have been taken. I insist that I locked it, but that is not the point. They had no proof that I did not lock it and the fact...

HIPAA violation [ 6 Answers ]

I work in a medical office that is part of a local hospital. A few years ago after being hospitalized on an urgent basis I was diagnosed with a chronic medical condition. I was off work for 1 week. During this week I happened to run into a co-worker. When I started to talk with her about my...

HIPAA Violation [ 4 Answers ]

A Physician I know was forced to close his practice because of illness. The person that worked in his office has taken the computer with pertainate information on all of his patients and refuses to return it. A policee report was file but he and his wife were told that nothing could be done. I work...

HIPAA Violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a manager mentions a health issue that an employee had before (cancer) to another employee or accuses the employee who had the illness that the former illness is effecting her judgement at work, is that a HIPAA violation? If not, is it a law violation. If yes, which one and is there a remedy...

View more questions Search