Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisaandsteve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 10:05 AM
    Housetraining a shih tzu
    Hi I have shih tzu puppy , when putting him in his crate @ night should I leave him if he whimpers ? (he has my 19 week old bichon to keep him company) any answers would be very grateful thank you regards lisa Also I'm probably looking ahead but does anyone know if it is easy to housebreak a shih tzu ?
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jan 5, 2009, 10:23 AM

Good to look ahead and no time like the present to get started. Shih Tzu are hard to train. Just a fact. Leave him when he wimpers and he will eventually stop. Maybe walking him before bed time might help him to be tired and settle down.
    gmschofer Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Jan 5, 2009, 11:58 AM
    Hi!

I have an 18 month old Shih tzu and yes they are a bit difficult to housetrain but they are very intelligent and (at least mine does listen well), they are just a bit wimpy and do not like to get their paws wet and they do not like to be cold. :o

For the first few nights Gizmo would whimper a bit also and I would just say "shhhh" and he would quiet down and go to sleep. The potty training problem we have is the lady we got him from trained them with puppy pads and we thought it was a neat idea except sometimes his "aim" was off and he would get the carpet and we ultimately want him to go outside. The biggest problem is he does not know how to ask to go out and if we do not notice he has to go he goes inside. I am going to get a bell to tie to the door and train him that way, I have heard good things about that.

Anyway, congratulations on your new puppy, you will love him or her, they are so loving and funny! I hope we can keep in touch and compare notes! :D
    gmschofer Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Jan 6, 2009, 08:19 AM
    Thanks for the comment MsMewiththat, that was nice! :)

They really are the most affectionate and loving dog I have ever had, he always needs to be laying with one of us at all times. For such a young dog he listens so well!

Do you have a Shih tzu?

Thanks again, have a great day!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy housetraining [ 2 Answers ]

I HAVE A SIX MONTH COCKER SPANIEL/POODLE CROSS WHO WAS IS ALMOST 100% TRAINED BUT IS MANIFESTING SIGNS OF REGRESSING.This morning was the last straw when I put her out to pee,she didn't,so after 10 minutes brought her in and left the door open.She immediately ran upstairs and peed on my unmade bed....

Housetraining our new Dashund Puppy! [ 2 Answers ]

We have a new puppy and while we are home most of the day to take her out often We don't know what to do about the evening! How often should we take her out at night? She is 6 weeks old right now! What time should we take away her food and water? Should she get any at night? She is a very tiny...

Housetraining not working [ 24 Answers ]

First off let me start with saying I know I'm probably a bad parent. I have a 11 month old cocker spaniel and she has a crate and it's in my laundry room. I keep her in the laundry room and her food and water is also in there with her. I'm clastrophobic and I know she would be too so I don't lock...

Housetraining [ 7 Answers ]

Hello - I have 2 dogs. My poodle is 2 years old and we have the toughest time with him. We live in a townhouse, so for him to go potty we have to take him outside. I take both of our dogs (we also have a 9 month border terrier mix) outside evry 1 to 1 1/2 hours. The Terrier (Jelly)...

Housetraining lab, he won't pee outside! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All... My black lab is crate trained. He asks to go outside to poo always. We have had him a week and I think that's good, right! He is 13 weeks old and 22lb (big for his age) The trouble we are having is with his peeing. We started all wrong and paper trained him. We then took...

View more questions Search