Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mymama Posts: 76, Reputation: 10

Jan 5, 2009, 08:55 AM
    Tooo many bills
    We have a lot of bills and we can't pay them. We both work full time and we only have 2 kids. We can't make it. I don't know what to do!! I need something that will help me w/ credit cards to autos loans to our house payment... We are up the river w/o a paddle... If anyone has been in our place and you are doing better from the help of a company, please please let me know.. WE NEED HELP

Thank you for reading!
    Mymama
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 09:52 AM

I had good luck with InCharge.org for my credit debt. They got my interest rate down and was able to get me on a comfortable payment schedule.

You mention auto loanS. Can you live with one car? Can you sell one or both and get something cheaper that you can actually afford?

Have you applied for state assistance (WIC, food stamps, etc)?

Have one or both of you considered getting a second job?
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 01:35 PM
    I have been where you are. And it was not fun. Getting out of it involved a lot of work and sacrifice. But the other side is pretty nice. Now I am debt free. So there is hope.

I'm not sure it would be appropriate for me to tell you what to do, but here's what I did:

First, I sold everything I owned that didn't have a heartbeat (the dog). You would be surprised how much stuff you don't need. Second, I resolved to become the cheapest man alive. I got the cheapest apartment I could find (that was safe) and pretty much lived on cheese sandwiches, baked potatoes, and spaghetti for about two years. I even used public restrooms to save toilet paper (gross, I know). Third, I decided I would never, ever, ever borrow another dime as long as I lived. And finally, I took every odd job I could find - waited tables, mowed lawns, landscaped, cleaned houses... you name it. I gave up my life for two years so that I could "have a life" for the rest of my life.

In terms of debts, I paid food, shelter, utilities, and gas to get to work first. I didn't have enough to pay my credits cards, so I just let them go into default status. A year later when I had a little money saved, I just started calling them one at a time saying, "I have $1,000 (on a $1,500 debt), can we settle this for that amount?" Most credit card companies will settle for 50 to 70 cents on the dollar if you let them not get paid for a year. Once you get something IN WRITING indicating they will settle for however much, send them a check. And save the documentation forever. Sometimes these try to come back to life.

At any rate, that is the path I followed. The first couple months aren't terribly fun, adjusting to your new lifestyle and all. But once you realize that you have taken back control of your life through sticking to a budget, you will become really excited. I'll never forget the first day I actually paid all my bills and had money left over. I was living like a bum, by I had taken back financial control of my life.

Best of luck with all the work and difficult decisions ahead. You can do it!!

PS Credit companies can't do anything for you that you can't do for yourself for free.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 5, 2009, 01:59 PM

It seems everyone is having a hard time now,with the economy in a mess, You have to sit down and budget,necessities first like house,food,utilites etc It is hard but try selling one of your cars,try taking on a part time job, you would be surprised at what you can do when you are up against a wall.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 10:19 PM

Check out Dave Ramsey at your local library, of course! Real Debt Help - Get out of debt with Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover Plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

$2 Bills, other coins and bills [ 4 Answers ]

I have 10 1976 $2 bills 3 of them B- New York 2 of then C- Philadelphia 1 of them J- Kansas City & 2 of them F- Atlanta Does anyone know what they may be worth? I also have a lot of coins from Canada dated 1976 and up. I have a $10 bill from England dated 1812-1870

Bryant Temp Rise Tooo High [ 3 Answers ]

My 10 year old Bryant gas forced air furnace is distributing hot air that smells HOT. This has continued beyond the early initial fall heat smell period. I measured the plenium temp at 170F after a 10 min burn time. The info plate list the Temp rise as 55-85 F; which would translate to a max outlet...

Garlic worked tooo Well [ 2 Answers ]

I have a puppy.. border terrier.. 3 months.. I over did the garlic.. I was so happy it wasn't para.. now she has worms out of every pour and I have no car.. what would you do bedsides order a deep cleaning for your house? I am exhausted.. I need a break just for a few hours.

HUGE heating bills, VERY LOW cooling bills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, first timer here. I bought this 43-year-old house last October, app 2000 sq ft, trilevel (main living level, 2 BR/bath up 7 stairs, 2 more BR/bath up 7 more stairs on top level). My heating bills last winter (2 year old Lennox AA600 80% efficiency furnace) were really high, around $300 per...

Do I owe the bills [ 4 Answers ]

My roommate/landlord paid all utilities for a while. I did not ask him to, he just did. Now that I am moving out 2 yrs later he is asking for the money back, but never has before. Trying to say that because he paid my part the house almost went into foreclosure, yet he never told me any of this...

View more questions Search