Jan 5, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Tell me something about u
    Tell me something about u this is questation which rises in an intervew
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yashaasgowda View Post
    tell me somthing about u this is questation which rises in an intervew

If your question is how to answer that, I interview and hire people and I want to know how "tell me something about yourself" relates to the job - are they interested in learning; what is their education; what are their accomplishments; why are they interested in this type of work. I don't care about their hobbies, their living situation, their girlfriend/boyfriend.

I HAVE seen that question used as a means to determine marital status and children because the direct question cannot be asked and this is a way to go around that and get the info.

A lot depends on the job you've applied for - I hire people who can deal with the public under what can be unpleasant circumstances.
    shatriya Posts: 156, Reputation: 18

Jan 7, 2009, 10:27 PM
    If they ask "tel me abt urself", they probably need ur credentials. Tell them all what u've done and accomplished, but keep a track of ur words coz they are gonna hunt on those.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2009, 12:53 AM

Hi, yashaasgowda!

Is this about how to ask the question or to answer it, please?

If it's about answering it, then it would help to have some additional details about you so that we can help you to prepare to answer it the best to your benefit.

Thanks!
    juhi2011 Posts: 91, Reputation: 4

Jan 8, 2009, 01:19 AM

Are you asking from a company interview perspective?
    RLC1686 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2009, 12:13 PM

I am not an expert, but in the past when answering this question on interviews, I talk a little more personal and less professional. This is going to be the first question which means there will be plenty of other questions further into the interview about your career aspirations, goals, past experiences.. etc.

Responding to JudyKayTee who is an expert, I believe work and accomplishments are important and should be talked about a lot but I think the true personality of a person should be seen as well. Someone could have won the nobel peace prize but be a boring, unpleasant person to be around and work with.

I say.. BE YOURSELF!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RLC1686 View Post
    I am not an expert, but in the past when answering this question on interviews, I talk a little more personal and less professional. This is going to be the first question which means there will be plenty of other questions further into the interview about your career aspirations, goals, past experiences..etc.

Responding to JudyKayTee who is an expert, I believe work and accomplishments are important and should be talked about alot but I think the true personality of a person should be seen as well. Someone could have won the nobel peace prize but be a boring, unpleasant person to be around and work with.

I say..BE YOURSELF!

You are speaking from the standpoint of an employee. I am an employer. If your reference to the Nobel Peace prize refers to looking for the best employee I can afford, yes, I AM looking for the nobel peace prize winner. I really don't care if potential employees are boring.

Unpleasant, yes, I care. Boring doesn't matter to me. I am not dating these people. I am asking them to do a good job for a good salary.
    RLC1686 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2009, 01:12 PM
    All I was saying is I don't think people should be scared to show their true personalities in an interview or share something personal. There are more to people than their work and accomplishments which is important for an employer to know as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking 4 something interesting [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know about any good books I can't seem 2 find 1

There's something about him [ 1 Answers ]

I've known him for a while and he's one of those boys who doesn't say a lot, but when he does he says too much, he's perverted and does drugs. It kills me because I care about him A lot. I always had a thing for him, but when I try to help, give advise or be there for him, he pushes away. He...

Could I have the gift of esp or something [ 3 Answers ]

Well I was curious about whether or not humans have like super natural powers like esp or something and is it really true because every time something big is going to happen I'm always the cause of it not happening and every one saying it's a gift from god and I don't know or don't even really...

View more questions Search