Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbaker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Another Alphabetizing Question -- Company Names
    When alphabetizing, what’s the ruling for initials in a company name? Example: In what order should the following company names be listed?

C.L. Baker Company
    Chemical A Company
    C.C. Keller & Associates
    CFM Systems
    C. P. McNamara

Thanks.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 21, 2006, 12:42 PM
    The whole name of the company is just like a book title, so The and A are overlooked and there is no sorting like you do with personal names. Inititals come first, then whole words. The initials are in order of the second initial unless there is a C.L. Alpha that would naturally come before C.L. Baker. I could be wrong but that seems how I remember it?

C.C. Kellar & Associates
    C.L. Baker Company
    C.P. McNamara
    CFM Systems (CFM works as a word since it lacks the periods)
    Chemical A Company
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Just to add, I would ignore whether initials had a period or not.

So you might get

CL Baker
    C L Charlie
    C.L. David
    CM Edwards
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 21, 2006, 12:47 PM
    That would work Scott unless you are in the graphics/printing business (or something related) where one period out of place can cost you a job, but I see your point. I guess it depends on the business you're in.

Jul 21, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Ouch! :D

But the question didn't specify printing the names. I was assuming, from the forum, that this was an issue of physical filing. A computer is going sort the data according to ASCII values.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2006, 12:59 PM
    TIP: copy/past list into excel and alphabatize... PRESTO! Hehe

I assume it is just a typo but you put a space between the C. & the P. (in McNamera) but didn't put a space between the C. & the L. (in Baker Company) and the C. and the C. (in Keller & associates).

If this was done on purpose and that is how they listed their Company names, then the true alphabetical order would be:

C. P. McNamara
    C.C. Keller & Associates
    C.L. Baker Company
    CFM Systems
    Chemical A Company

However, if a space was intended after EACH C. then Val nailed it with her list ;)

Jul 21, 2006, 01:09 PM
    Correct! A Computer doesn't anyalze the pattern in basic sorts. Computers are pretty dumb that way.

So that The Charlie Company is going to wind up in the Ts unless its entered as Charlie Company, The. Relying on computers to sort names can be a tricky deal.
    kbaker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2006, 01:10 PM
    Thank you all for your comments. I should have been more specific.

This is for printing lists of company names, not filing, and the space between the initials in C. P. McNamara and not the other company names were intentional.

I have two books and they differ in methods, so I think it's confusing. Maybe I've just looked at the list too long!

Thanks again.

Jul 21, 2006, 01:18 PM
    If this is a printed list, then you can use the sorting feature of the program the data is being printed from. If that sort is not what you want, then you will need to add an ordering value to each record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many names on the deed? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question: I am building a new home in Texas where my fiancé and I plan on living (and we plan on getting married in about a year). Since my credit and my salary is better than hers, I am the only one on the mortgage, but now the question is what names to put on the deed. In...

Correct Alphabetizing Practice [ 5 Answers ]

My boss is telling me that it is not correct to file "Mc" in front of the "M's" in other words before "Ma". I always thought it was a rule. Does anyone know the correct rule? Thank You.:confused:

Names [ 2 Answers ]

Could you please tell me the meaning of the name "jonathan" and "joanna"

View more questions Search