Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hayk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 07:18 AM
    My girlfriend wants to break up. What can I do?
    My girlfriend wants to break up.. What can I do? I need help...
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 5, 2009, 10:16 AM

Well I'm sorry for one. I know it hurts. My special advice is to give her space. If she wants to break up then there's nothing you can do. A relationship takes to willing partners

I have a little process that may make this as painless as possible

Step 1 Do not contact

You are either emotional in some way (being angry or other things that do not need to be said).
    Don't call him
    Don't go to the gym or coffee shop he goes to
    Delete his number from your phone
    Delete his email address
    Delete anything that give you the urge to talk to him in any way shape or form

It didn't work. It won't work. No matter what you say she'll be a gone. And you can get better

Step 2 REMOVE EVERYTHING THAT HAS HER MEMORY

Remove every item that has some memory of her... Pictures, Gift, Computer Wallpaper (such as your Homecoming pictures with her)...

Anything that brings up the memory will just add salt in the wound right now and yea you will have to face it but let's give it maybe a month or 2

Step 3 Don't be friends

Just don't talk at all. You don't really want to see it right now I promise. In 2-3 months, maybe then you can be friends but it's too soon right now and you need some space.

Step 4 Don't drink

Drinking just delays you getting over it. I don't mean a glass or 2 with friends. I mean the drowning your tears in alcohol kind. It doesn't work it's still there. And no alcohol at all really if you are under 21, I know there are high school parties with it but really it's a nasty substance that does and give nothing but trouble

Step 5 Hang out with the guys

Your friends will always be there. You've been here before and so have they. Go have a poker night

Step 6 Keep going

If you like to work out keep doing it. Don't mope around. Pity parties for one aren't fun. And life ain't as bad as it looks.

Step 7 Get back on the horse

I recommend casual flirting that goes no where (take some friends to be safe, buddy system keeps you guys from getting hurt or doing something you'll regret). If you feel ready and the thought of your ex doesn't make you cringe... then start looking around and play the field. Online, speed dating, casual meeting places or mutual friends with someone single are great ways to start.

Please be safe with all these options

*Also do not talk about your ex to the date unless they ask. They don't want to hear emotional baggage but if they ask tell them the truth. Part of dating is giving info in little steps so you don't overwhelm the person. And they may care about you and don't want to hear you in pain.
    411Help Posts: 428, Reputation: 103

Jan 5, 2009, 10:33 AM

We need more information onto why you two broke up.

Jan 5, 2009, 12:04 PM

Please note I am a straight girl and I did make a few typos in my own gender preference. Wherever I put him/his just put her/hers
    AManWithNoName Posts: 424, Reputation: 9

Jan 5, 2009, 01:05 PM

Listen man, I feel your pain, but, you can't just keep telling yourself things will be better, they won't be, she's breaking up with you, and there's nothing you can say or do to change her mind, its up to her, and sadly, its not up to you, so what you got to do is, listen to starbucks21, her advice really worked, also, don't go doing drugs, it's a bad path to go down
    engee182 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 08:29 PM

More information would be helpful. To start it off though, just go with it. No matter how much you want to be with her, just let it go. No relationship is always better than a one sided one.

Depending on how long you two have been dating, if you have a lot of memories, I'm going to have to disagree with step two of Starbucks21. Don't remove all memories of her. I had a teacher in High School who kept letters of exboyfriends. They're just memories. Of the good times. So don't remove them, just put them away for some time.

Also going to have to disagree with your Stop Being Friends policy. (All disagreements with all due respect of course). Its always good to let everything out. Then you'll be able to recuperate.

Best of luck.

Jan 5, 2009, 11:00 PM

Well I mean by remove all memories for a time... If it helps to burn then that's OK too... but I think putting them in a box so you don't look at them and go(made up name from opera) "CARMEN!!! WHY?!?!" and break down.

As for the Stop Being friends I also mean for the time being... I don't mean never be friends... I mean give each other space and have time to figure out what went wrong... And when you figure out what went wrong like... "we had no chemistry." Then you can have a happy friendship.

Jan 5, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Also all disagreements taken with due respect

The stop being friends is also so you don't do the "CARMEN!!!! WHY?!?!" in the middle of the hallway as she goes to class... It will just be embrassing

These steps can be done either quickly or slowly depending on how long the relationship was
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 12:09 AM

You need to let her go, and be as gracious and gentlemanly about it as you can. Perhaps later you will come back together but don't count on it - assume the relationship has run its course, and hang out with your buddies and family for a while. And then start dating again -

If you try to persuade her to stay, she's going to ultimately resent you for it - for holding her back from whatever exploration or new things she feels a need to pursue. You just have to let her go.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 07:03 AM

All you can do is ask her to discuss why she wants to break up and then ask what you can do to make it work.
    THEN as the others have said you have to move on because you can not make somebody love you or keep dating you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend wants a break & I'm not sure what to do [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry if this post is long, I just have so much stuff and confusion in my head at the minute. Myself and my girlfriend have been on a break for the past 3 weeks. We have been together for just under 3 years and what I always thought to be a great relationship. We started going out when she was...

Girlfriend wants a break. [ 126 Answers ]

Hello everyone... Ive been reading the forums for awhile and they've made me feel better about my situation... But... My girlfriend and I were going out for about 2 years, everything was great, but then she decided to go away to college, she chose the same college I was going to go to when I...

My girlfriend wants to break up. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone.I am really facing a serious problem in my life and I really appreciate any help I can get.I have been in a good relationship with a girl for 2 and a half years.it was a lovely time but now she wants to break up.well its not that I never got signs that she wasn't being as close to me...

Girlfriend needs a break [ 14 Answers ]

Okay here is my situation... I have been dating a girl named Kristin for four years. We are the best of friends. I treated her so well.. vacations, dinners, manners, etc. All of a sudden over the past three weeks she has been acting diiferently. A lack of affection, she seems to have lost interest...

View more questions Search