Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1954 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 10:27 PM
    Visitation in another state
    Husband and I separated and he now lives in neighboring state. As part of our divorce, will judge make me drive half-way for his visitation with children? He chose to leave state for work. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1954 View Post
    Husband and I separated and he now lives in neighboring state. As part of our divorce, will judge make me drive half-way for his visitation with children? He chose to leave state for work. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Thank you.

I've seen this decided in all directions - you each drive half way. He drives the whole way. You drive the whole way. It's one quarter and three quarters.

"Usually" the party who moves is responsible for the extra driving - but that's just "usually."

When you go to the hearing make your thoughts on this issue clear. I've seen Judges grant longer vacation visits when the "during the week" and "weekend" visits are made difficult by the distance.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 11:32 PM

It varies based on what you work out with him. Figure out what you think is fair and try to work it out with him directly. Otherwise, the lawyers get rich and you both loose. Most judges will try to stick you into mediation anyway so you're far better off if you both try in good concience to work it out together.

Perhaps you are willing to drive half way with lesser frequency than the visits he used to have. Or perhaps you drive 1/3 of the way and he drives 2/3. Or you drive half but he increases child support to compensate for your time and expenses to do so.

The judge is likely to order you to meet him half way if you take it to court, if his move was necessary for work and to provide child support, so you're better of negotiating directly.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 06:00 AM

The issue here is first you are not divorced and it appears no child custody agreement in place yet.

The court will give you a lot time to work out the issues, sometimes with a third party.

The issues of why he moved, since this is still in divorce, causes of the divorce may be looked at.

But yes it is very possible that 1/2 way or paying some of the travel costs may be allowed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Requesting supervised visitation in NY State [ 2 Answers ]

What will a judge look at to order supervised visits for my four month old daughter and her father? He has 2 dwi convictions (4 arrests) and a stay in rehab which he did not complete, he was kicked out due to failing a drug test. I'm worried about my daughter's safety with him and I'm scared.

Ex Moved Out of State - Is Visitation at my discretion? [ 18 Answers ]

Hello everyone. My ex moved out of state where it would take a 5 hour flight (give or take if there are no layovers) to get there. We parted amicably, he pays his child support and is remarried. We all get along fine. (for saying so's sake) There are no court orders for support and we do not...

Out of state visitation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in good standing and paying child support ($900 a month for 1 beautiful 3 year old boy). I have attempted to contact my son's mom to arrange visitation but she refuses to respond. So far, I've had to pay ALL legal fees when the courts are needed and it's getting very expensive. Can I establish...

Visitation across state lines? [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to see if it will be possible to have my daughter come and visit me in Florida when her mother lives in Colorado. We are in the process of getting a divorce and my wife tricked me into moving to Colorado 5 months ago because she said she was not happy in Florida, even though we own a...

View more questions Search