Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LLinneed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
    # day notice in NY
    I am a landlord in Westchester County, NY who has a tenant that has not paid her rent for at least 6 months consecutively. She has paid partial payments towards this running balance of which I had accepted up to November 17th. She sent a menial payment December, but I have not accepted it. She now also owes January 2009. I have tried to work with her and she has a running balance that began in June 2008... she is not on a lease, she is month to month and I need to know if I should send a 3, 5, or 10 day notice before starting the eviction process... please help and thank you
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Jan 4, 2009, 09:08 PM

I would say 3 day because you have given her more than enough time and you need to not be so nice people will walk all over you
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 5, 2009, 07:10 AM
    While it might be nice to be able to pick a notice period based on how nice you feel you need to be, you really have to provide a notice period that is based on the law of the state where the property is located.

According to the chart at http://www.thelpa.com/free/statenoticechart.pdf, NY requires a 3 day notice for non-payment of rent. I tried to look through the NY statute to confirm it but wasn't able to find the provision. However I believe another Expert here, JudyKayTee, is a landlord in NY and she should be able to give you a definitive answer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2009, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    While it might be nice to be able to pick and choose a notice period based on how nice you feel you need to be, you really have to provide a notice period that is based on the law of the state where the property is located.

According to the chart at http://www.thelpa.com/free/statenoticechart.pdf, NY requires a 3 day notice for non-payment of rent. I tried to look through the NY statute to confirm it but wasn't able to find the provision. However I believe another Expert here, JudyKayTee, is a landlord in NY and she should be able to give you a definitive answer.

You had it (as always - :D) - the exact law is:

In NYS a landlord seeking to evict a tenant for non-payment must first give the tenant a chance to pay, by giving the tenant a three-day notice in writing, stating that the tenant has three days to pay all the rent in full or the tenancy will be terminated.

The procedure begins when the tenancy is terminated (after the 3 days). In a non-payment case the eviction can start after the three (3) day notice is given and no payment is made in three (3) days. The act of non-payment terminates the tenancy. The holdover eviction can start as soon as the tenancy is terminated because of breach, or after the expiration of the notice period in a month to month tenancy.[/I]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a Landlord give me a 3-Day notice plus a 30 Day notice to quit all at once? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to please know what is the legal procedure to an eviction notice? My fiancé and I and my 3 children use to live in Buena Park in Orange County and we still currently work in Orange County and comute Mon-Fri about 1hr and 15mins each way. When we heard from a far away causing...

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

No notice entry/ re-rent / notice [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I signed a year lease three months ago. We are currently living in Tennesee. The lease is 20 pages in length with numerous addendums etc. etc. It appears "iron clad". I have two questions, if you answer please consider the state I live in with your reply. 1. The maintenance...

30 day notice [ 4 Answers ]

If a landlord gives me 2 30 day notices in a day which one counts? One of the ones the LL gave me had an incorrect date on it i.e. had 31st instead of 30th of the month. This is in NY state but outside of NYC. Also is taping the notice on the door valid in NY state? I read about it saying it is...

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

View more questions Search