Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Feb 1, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    Note : string "theory" is a thesis and NOT a Scientific Theory in the order of Evolution or Relativity.
    No, the thesis does not propose that a string plays music at (sub) atomic scale.
    The suggestion is that at the smallest level of matter there is vibration of energy.
    Nothing new as for centuries we know that light is both a particle (photon) and wave (energy).
    This could only be correct if matter is a format of energy.

We know enough to say that in the case of the ''outside'' of our universe no information will ever reach us.
    Not too bad, as the universe is more than big enough for us.

Space travel is already happening on small scale. Man made systems are already on their way leaving the solar system. Manned space travel is more difficult, and exceed the problems of technique and finance.
    Who is prepared to space travel and never see his dearest ever again?
    Hyper jump? The speed of light is a given maximum speed. Anything faster is science fiction.

And how do you know this for sure? You said that anything faster then light is science fiction, does that mean it is impossible? Nothing can go faster then light?

I do not think that.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 4, 2009, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi View Post
    And how do you know this for sure? You said that anything faster then light is science fiction, does that mean it is impossible? Nothing can go faster then light? I do not think that.
    There is a lot of scientific support that the light speed is the maximum speed possible.
    There is good reason to assume that the light speed can not be exceeded.
    From cyclotron tests we know that with increasing speed matter is hardly further increased in speed, but is increased mainly in mass. The faster matter goes, the more it grows in mass.
    Protons or electrons in a cyclotron never reach light speed, but grow in mass.
    The nearer they get to lightspeed, the more mass they get.
    The entire energy in the universe will not be enough to bring any matter - not even a single electron - to lightspeed.

"Nothing can go faster then light?"
    Yes, I think that is correct !
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Feb 4, 2009, 05:48 PM

Sarnian,

You obviously are well educated in this topic, and I respect your position, and for all intents and purposes, your comment do agree with what I have heard other physicist state.

However, that said, I don't feel we should ever dismiss any idea. For it is a fact, that 20 years ago, what was once considered science fiction, is now science fact.

I agree that we will never know, or need to know what is outside of our light boundary, or on the other side of the universe, however the mere act of contemplating it exercises the mind, and allows us to explore different theories in our head, and sometimes with others, on paper, on websites like this, etc.

Kids like survivorboi may very well be on his way to being the next Einstein, or Hawking, we certainly don't want to build walls of "impossibility" in his head.

How many failed equations did Einstein draft before he came up with the theory of relativity?

I have no reason to disagree with your comments. However I also have no reason to label the other idea's presented on this board as "impossible".

Just my two cents. No offence intended.
    -

Feb 6, 2009, 09:09 AM
    For andrewc :

what was once considered science fiction, is now science fact.
    Only a very small part of what ever was considered SF is today science fact. Most is not.

I agree that we will never know, or need to know what is outside of our light boundary, or on the other side of the universe
    Scientifically speaking there is no "outside" or "other side" of the universe.
    Of course you may contemplate or believe there is, but that is speculation.

it exercises the mind, and allows us to explore different theories in our head, and sometimes with others, on paper, on websites like this
    No problem on philosophical boards, but this is a science board.
    No offence taken here, nor intended, either !
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Feb 6, 2009, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    For andrewc :

what was once considered science fiction, is now science fact.
    Only a very small part of what ever was considered SF is today science fact. Most is not.

I agree that we will never know, or need to know what is outside of our light boundary, or on the other side of the universe
    Scientifically speaking there is no "outside" or "other side" of the universe.
    Of course you may contemplate or believe there is, but that is speculation.

it exercises the mind, and allows us to explore different theories in our head, and sometimes with others, on paper, on websites like this
    No problem on philosophical boards, but this is a science board.
    No offence taken here, nor intended, either !
    I understand, and you have made some good scientific points on your post. I myself have learned a little bit. I also enjoy hearing people well educated on the subject speak. That said, perhaps this would be a good time for the mods to move the thread to the philosophical board.
    -

Feb 7, 2009, 01:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    ... perhaps this would be a good time for the mods to move the thread to the philosophical board.
    That is up to the topic starter "survivorboi" to ask the mods to do.
    In the meantime you can start such a (or similar) topic on the philosophical board yourself.
    Or start a science-based astronomy topic on this board.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Universe Age [ 11 Answers ]

What is the age of the universe and how do we know that? ;)

Wats there outside the universe [ 3 Answers ]

I'm confused... people say the is a single universe. If the universe is fixed in size wats there outside our universe?? can't there be another nos. of universes??

Across The Universe [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name to the song that he starts singing at the very biggening "is there anyone going to listen to my story, or about the girl who came to stay?" Here's the link to the trailer MySpaceTV: Across The Universe Trailer by Nugeman :) Thank you soooo much

Across the universe [ 5 Answers ]

Across The Universe - Official Site " Came out Yesterday in theaters i believe. OKAY. This movie was AMAZING. I fell in love with it. If it was a person I'd marry it. Yea, I guess you can say its a 2 hour music video but its just igjiogkhsdkj i love it!

The Universe [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Universe symmetrical? I know it's contantly expanding, but are all sides expanding at the same rate?

View more questions Search