Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wrj9988 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 05:32 PM
    I came to site to ask the same question. But it's not really surprising that its here already.
    Mine was specifically,, the origin of this big bang. So, the great mines did the math in reverse to bring it down to a massless point? That exploded? I simply want opinions.
    (I have no kinds of superstitions in my head) But I think the whole sands on the beach thing is not without sanity. Who's is to say there are not a trillion universes on Earth in the sand? Or that we say that there are trillions in our fingernail?

In the words of Bill Mahre, WE JUST DON'T KNOW!

However I highly dought the Religious mumbo-Jumbo.

Any thoughts.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Jan 22, 2009, 06:32 PM

Yes, who know? Maybe every object on Earth is a universe in another dimension...

And what if, every object in another universe is another universe? And that the universe Earth is in is one of them?

Jan 24, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewc24301 View Post
    I dont know about a universe within a universe, but one has to wonder what is on the other side of the border of our universe?

I can easilly imagine an endless vacuum of space and dark matter between universes. These universes, all expanding, yet trillion opon trillion opon trillion X10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000, light year apart from one another, just an endess endless number of events happening.

SOMETHING has to be on the other side of the boundies of our universe!

We have seen the edge of the universe as we know it. What is beyond THAT? Even nothingness has to be something. A blank space is still,, space. Can it possibly end? Even nothing is something? Ouch, my brain hurts... What is infinity??
    Answer that, you will become KING of the universe. I promise.

"SOMETHING HAS TO OUTSIDE OF THE BOUNDRIES OF THE UNIVERSE." Well put Andrew.

If that is not the biggest question we have, I don't know what is.

Jan 24, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wrj9988 View Post
    We have seen the edge of the universe as we know it. What is beyond THAT? Even nothingness has to be something. A blank space is still,,,, space. Can it possibly end? Even nothing is something? Ouch, my brain hurts...... What is infinity????

Something else I have to throw in. Religious folks will have a simple answer. "It's God." That's a cop out. I desire a scientific explanation. Which may never come,, however, I hope death treats us kindly and we will see the answer upon death. Our response might be,, "It was so simple all along." Either that, or we will simply rot and become smelly.

I love this subject!! Let's keep it going ladies and gentleman. :) Jim

Jan 24, 2009, 08:07 AM
    It's the same thing as to what we will see if we were to approach the speed of light.

Personally, I don't think our body could withstand such a speed and not be vaporized or something, but just to say we could survive in some sort of a space craft, what would it look like?

Also, I watched something on TV a while back, that apparently, some scientist thing there are "things" that CAN move faster than the speed of light.

I can't remember what it was, but it was something on the quantum level I'm sure.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    As far as I know, our best shot at surpassing the speed of light is, ANTI-MATTER. Please don't ask me to explain it, but many people are studying this. It's human nature to explore. Unfortunately, the playground is too vast for our small minds. Not to be insulting, but what the hell... Most of the people on this small planet think there a guy who lives in the clouds. Gimme a break.
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 24, 2009, 08:33 AM
    We have seen the edge of the universe as we know it. What is beyond THAT? Even nothingness has to be something. A blank space is still,,,, space. Can it possibly end? Even nothing is something? Ouch, my brain hurts...... What is infinity????

Something else to consider:

I saw on a documentary once that we are actually bound by the mighty speed limit of light itself as to what we can see in our own universe. The physicist on the program explained it better than I can, in fact, I just tried to and got "tounge tied" so I had to delete it all.

But it has something to do with light rays that are so far away that the inhabitants of Earth will never see them.
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 06:48 AM
    "Have you guys ever think to it that our universe is one of billions of random universes?"

There is no "outside" for our universe, due to space-time.
    So we can only know of the universe we live in.
    All the rest is useless speculation.

Jan 25, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sarnian View Post
    "Have you guys ever think to it that our universe is one of billions of random universes?"

There is no "outside" for our universe, due to space-time.
    So we can only know of the universe we live in.
    All the rest is useless speculation.

Speculation yes, useless no. Humankinds curisosity of what lay out of our reach is what has driven most of the technologies we have today.

Will we ever see beyond our own universe? Nobody knows, but one thing is for sure, we will develop some cool stuff trying.
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Andrewc : there is nothing wrong with speculation, unless that speculation is useless.
    Speculation was at the basis of many scientific discoveries.

But we will never see beyond our own universe, as space-time limits us to this universe.
    That is why I stated "All the rest is useless speculation".

Jan 25, 2009, 08:55 AM
    As far as I know, our best shot at surpassing the speed of light is, ANTI-MATTER. Please don't ask me to explain it, but many people are studying this. It's human nature to explore. Unfortunately, the playground is too vast for our small minds. Not to be insulting, but what the hell....... Most of the people on this small planet think there a guy who lives in the clouds. Gimme a break.

I know, geez, no offense, but give me a break. A long time ago we though god was in the clouds. Then, we found out he wasn't. Then, we though he was on the moon. He wasn't. We though he might be in space, we found no trace of him. Now what?
    -

Jan 25, 2009, 05:50 PM
    As far as I know, our best shot at surpassing the speed of light is, ANTI-MATTER.
    The only use of anti-matter is to convert mass totally into energy. Nothing else.
    But there is no indication of any sort that the speed of light can be exceeded.
    Can it be that you look too many Star Wars and Star Trek movies ? :)

Jan 25, 2009, 06:28 PM

C'mon guys! This thread is not a right or wrong thing. It's your opinions that counts! So just express yourself! Tell us what you think!
    -

Jan 26, 2009, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by survivorboi
    It's your opinions that counts! So just express yourself! Tell us what you think!
    Random Universe
    Have you guys ever think to it that our universe is one of billions of random universes? Like for example, maybe our universe is a marble. The marble is in a jar with millions of other marbles, which is like our marble, universes. Have you even think that, maybe the trillions of sands on the beaches are universes of different dimensions? Every dot of sand is another universe, with, their own laws and things like that? I know it sounds crazy, but i was just wondering so ferociously... Very mysterious....
    As far as I am concerned your question should better have been posted on the philosophy board !
    There is no serious (scientific) answer to what you suggested in your question.
    Your "marbled random universe" filled with millions of universes could be excellent science fiction, but science ?
    As I posted previously : for all of us living in our universe there is no "outside".
    Just supposing there is an "outside" shows that you do not understand the basics of what is a universe.
    We live in space-time (not in space nor in time but in space-time) that is valid only in this universe.
    So for us there is only one universe and we will never know anything beyond/outside our space-time.

Again : your idea is an excellent basis for a science fiction story. Do you intend to write SF stories ?

Jan 26, 2009, 05:47 PM
    As far as I am concerned your question should better have been posted on the philosophy board !
    Your "marbled random universe" filled with millions of universes could be excellent science fiction, but science ?
    As I posted previously : for all of us living in our universe there is no "outside".
    Just supposing there is an "outside" shows that you do not understand the basics of what is a universe.
    We live in space-time (not in space nor in time but in space-time) that is valid only in this universe.
    So for us there is only one universe and we will never know anything beyond/outside our space-time.

Again : your idea is an excellent basis for a science fiction story. Do you intend to write SF stories ?
    I understand what you are saying. However to just dismiss the idea of "stuff" outiside of the boundries of our universe doesn't seem right. Just because we haven't figured out a way to put the area outside of the universe in a nice mathmatical formula doesn't mean there isn't something out there, or that a whole different dimension of space time isn't out there. That's just like what was said back when humans thought the world was flat, because they didn't know what was on the other side of the Atlantic.

Just because it escapes our mind, and we can't wrap our heads around it, doesn't mean it's impossible.

But I will say that we should focus on learning our universe before we worry about other ones, there is plenty here left to explore.

FWIW. I don't believe in the "marble" idea either, but that's not to say that its impossible. We don't know what lies outside of our light horizon, and probably never will.
    -

Jan 27, 2009, 05:01 PM
    ... to just dismiss the idea of "stuff" outiside of the boundries of our universe doesn't seem right.
    I do not dismiss the possibility that "there is more out there".
    I say that because we live in this universe and are bound by it's space-time, there is for us no outside. We will never know if there is anything more than this universe.

Just as there is a maximum speed (light speed), there is also a maximum of information we can obtain, one controlling factor is the limits set by space-time.

Do not ask why the lightspeed is the maximum speed. We simply do not know. But so far all we know is that this limit exists, is confirmed, and has no reason or tendency to change. The same is valid for the limitations of space-time.

You say that "Just because we haven't figured out a way to put the area outside of the universe in a nice mathmatical formula doesn't mean there isn't something out there, or that a whole different dimention of space time isn't out there", but that is a misconception.

It's not a question of figuring out, it's a matter of impossibility to ever know anything outside the limits set by space-time.
    Next to that you do not seem to understand the meaning of the word universe. It's the aggregate of all existing matter, energy, and space that concerns everyone and everything in this universe.

Therefore I always call thoughts about "outside our universe" pure speculation.

Jan 28, 2009, 02:55 AM

Out of all this talk about the universes and possibilities, I certianly think a creator is the least likely. I know that opens up a new perspective, but I'm not shy. In fact, it would ruin the dicussion..
    Here is the honest question. How many people think that we will see the answer after we die? This has 0% to do with religion or fables. Rather a non-religious after-life.
    Opinions please...

Jan 28, 2009, 03:09 AM
    I do not dismiss the possibility that "there is more out there".
    I say that because we live in this universe and are bound by it's space-time, there is for us no outside. We will never know if there is anything more than this universe.

Just as there is a maximum speed (light speed), there is also a maximum of information we can obtain, one controlling factor is the limits set by space-time.

Do not ask why the lightspeed is the maximum speed. We simply do not know. But so far all we know is that this limit exists, is confirmed, and has no reason or tendency to change. The same is valid for the limitations of space-time.

You say that "Just because we haven't figured out a way to put the area outside of the universe in a nice mathmatical formula doesn't mean there isn't something out there, or that a whole different dimention of space time isn't out there", but that is a misconception.

It's not a question of figuring out, it's a matter of impossibility to ever know anything outside the limits set by space-time.
    Next to that you do not seem to understand the meaning of the word universe. It's the aggregate of all existing matter, energy, and space that concerns everyone and everything in this universe.

Therefore I always call thoughts about "outside our universe" pure speculation.
    Yes,, it is pure speculation. My point is,, wouldn't you LOVE to know? I think it's the ultimate mystery. What will it teach us in our daily lives? Probably nothing.
    But I have this unquenchable desire to try to find out. Sorry for being human. I am not someone who wants to die, but I don't thinks it's to be feared. If there is a conscienance beyond death, I think it will be a positive thing in some weird way.
    -

Jan 28, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Wouldn't you LOVE to know ? ... I am not someone who wants to die
    Almost none of us want to die (well - at least not right now). But why would I love to know what is sure none of us will ever know, and what happens "outside" our universe is one of such thoughts.

I simply accept that there are limits to know. Please feel free to speculate, and feel free to design trillions of universes, positioned as marbles in a box.
    But if you post such science-fantasy on the Science - Astronomy board, you should expect critical reactions.

Jan 28, 2009, 08:19 PM

Yes, I do intent to write SF when I grow up... maybe. But isn't theories almost all sound science fiction? I mean, string theory sounds pretty crazy to me. A string that plays music in atomic scale? What? Sounds kind of crazy.

What I mean to say is, there could be a possibility to almost everything. We do not know enough to say that it cannot happen. Our knowledge is not deep enough to say that. Einstein want to create the theory of everything, doesn't that sound a little SF?

Thousands of years ago, people though traveling to the moon was just a never-to-be-done dream. Even someone that say flying is possible is though to be a little doo-doo in the head. But now, we have done it, haven't we?

To me, it is same with space travel, hyper jump, etc...

DON'T STEAL MY IDEA FOR MY BOOK! ;)
    -

Jan 29, 2009, 04:41 PM
    I mean, string theory sounds pretty crazy to me. A string that plays music in atomic scale? What? Sounds kind of crazy.
    Note : string "theory" is a thesis and NOT a Scientific Theory in the order of Evolution or Relativity.
    No, the thesis does not propose that a string plays music at (sub) atomic scale.
    The suggestion is that at the smallest level of matter there is vibration of energy.
    Nothing new as for centuries we know that light is both a particle (photon) and wave (energy).
    This could only be correct if matter is a format of energy.

What i mean to say is, there could be a possibility to almost everything. We do not know enough to say that it cannot happen
    We know enough to say that in the case of the ''outside'' of our universe no information will ever reach us.
    Not too bad, as the universe is more than big enough for us.

To me, it is same with space travel, hyper jump, ect.
    Space travel is already happening on small scale. Man made systems are already on their way leaving the solar system. Manned space travel is more difficult, and exceed the problems of technique and finance.
    Who is prepared to space travel and never see his dearest ever again?
    Hyper jump? The speed of light is a given maximum speed. Anything faster is science fiction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Universe Age [ 11 Answers ]

What is the age of the universe and how do we know that? ;)

Wats there outside the universe [ 3 Answers ]

I'm confused... people say the is a single universe. If the universe is fixed in size wats there outside our universe?? can't there be another nos. of universes??

Across The Universe [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know the name to the song that he starts singing at the very biggening "is there anyone going to listen to my story, or about the girl who came to stay?" Here's the link to the trailer MySpaceTV: Across The Universe Trailer by Nugeman :) Thank you soooo much

Across the universe [ 5 Answers ]

Across The Universe - Official Site " Came out Yesterday in theaters i believe. OKAY. This movie was AMAZING. I fell in love with it. If it was a person I'd marry it. Yea, I guess you can say its a 2 hour music video but its just igjiogkhsdkj i love it!

The Universe [ 3 Answers ]

Is the Universe symmetrical? I know it's contantly expanding, but are all sides expanding at the same rate?

View more questions Search