Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nasra Posts: 54, Reputation: 7

Jul 21, 2006, 03:45 AM
    User name and password
    Hi everyone,

When ever I used to join this forum, I would automatically join without having to type password or user name, I do this each time now and I don't know why it is as if I am not really a member now. Can you please clarify this problem for me Thanx:confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2006, 03:50 AM
    This would be a cookie issue with your browser. If you log in, check the "Remember Me" box, and your settings allow cookie's then you don't have to log-in every time. I'll move this to computer help so that more might see this to help you with your settings.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 21, 2006, 03:51 AM
    Make sure that the "Remember me" box is checked and this will resolve your issue.
    Also as your log in info is kept as a cookie on your local machine, deleteing this will also cause the site to "forget" who you are.

Jul 21, 2006, 04:04 AM
    Thanks Curlyben,

I will try this idea.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 21, 2006, 05:35 AM
    This thread gives me an opportunity to get on a soapbox. Cookies have gotten an unfairly maligned rep. So that people have been advised to block cookies or clean them out after each session or similar.

A cookie is simply a small text file that some sites leave on your PC to customize the site on your return. Generally the cookies are encrypted so only the site that set them can read it. While some cookies are used by ad sites to track visits to their affiliates, the vast majority of them are harmless. They do not affect performance, nor do they damage your PC.

In my opinion the optimum way to deal with cookies is to use a cookie manager that allows you to treat a cookie in one of three ways; Accept from approved sites, Block from unapproved sites and prompt for unlisted sites. In this way you can block cookies from sites you are not sure of and accept cookies from sites you are comfortable with (like AMHD).

But scouring cookies from your system will result in problems like the one listed here.

Jul 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks all I did was tick the remember me box and everything is OK now

Thanks Guys:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

User friendly linux [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I've installed Mandriva 10.1 but somehow it opens in command line mode. How can I switch to GUI? Thanks

Authorized user [ 4 Answers ]

I was made a authorized user by my daughter not even knowing about it.Then started getting phone calls from collection agency that I was responsible for the debt that has went unpaid. I explained I was only a authorized user not a co-signer and at the time the credit card was issued to my daughter...

How to get the Location of a user [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know how can I retrieve the location of every user when they visit my website. Are there any built in ASP functions for it.

User objectives [ 1 Answers ]

Let's say I just took a huge loan from a bank, and I determined they were my most important user. When making my financial statements, I choose to maximize income (within the limits of GAAP). Why would this serve to be useful if I show these statements to the bank?

View more questions Search