Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12volt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Ceilling fan/light combo controlled by separate circuits
    I'm thinking about controlling the fan motor through a fan speed controller powered from a 20a 120vac 12ga. Circuit with the fan speed controller between the breaker panel and the fan outlet. I would like to control the light portion of the fan light combo through a 3 way/ 4 way/ 3 way in series between the source and the fan light combo which is powered from a 15a 120vac 14 ga. Circuit. My question is if it's reasonably easy to separate the "neutrals" (grounded circuit conductor) in the fan light combo to achieve this without having to change the existing wiring around. The 20a circuit would have a cable running to the fan motor and the 15a circuit would have its own cable running to the light portion. Thanks any suggestions would be appreciated.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 06:20 PM

Yes just run an additional neutral down the center of the fan.

As long as it's not a remote fan in which case you wouldn't be able to do this anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 3 switches, each controlling a separate light [ 8 Answers ]

Where can I find a diagram to show how to wire 3 switches in the same box, each controlling a different light? Thanks. David

Do I need a light switch for a remote controlled ceiling fan? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to have a ceiling fan installed in a room with no previous overhead lighting/light switch. Electrician will have to go into attic to run wires for electricity from one of several other overhead light fixtures in other rooms. If I purchase a remote controlled ceiling fan will I also have to...

Stuck string on ceiling fan/light combo light side [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan/single light combo, and the pull string to switch on the light is stuck... How do I dismantle the light fixture part to get at the string?. Will I need to replace anything inside?

3 Gang Box, 3 separate circuits [ 9 Answers ]

I have a three gange box with 3 separate 12/2 runs to the panel. There are 3 corresponding 12/2 feeds to the lights. My question is, since there are 3 separate circuits, do I need to tie all the grounds together, or only the two that make up that particular light circuit? I would assume...

Temperature controlled light [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a light(red) that can come on when a room gets too hot?

View more questions Search