Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    muse235 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Printer woes!
    HP laserjet printer 5MP stopped printing today. The printer folder comes on and flashes and when brought up states that a printer time out error occurred.The solution is to increase the time but this has not helped. Does anyone know how to correct this problem so that the printer will resume printing?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jul 20, 2006, 11:10 PM
    When troubleshooting a printer, one of the first things I do is isolate if the problem is with the computer and the software, or with the actual printer hardware itself.

The HPLJ 5M should have a DATA or activity light next the display and control panel buttons. When you send the print job from your computer, the light should flash - indicating the data is being received by the printer and is being processed.

If you can't confirm that the printer is receiving the data, you need to look at the actual hardware.

If the printer is directly connected to the computer - check the cables and make sure they plugged in properly. Then check the printer driver setup and ensure the port your printing to (LPT1 for example) is set properly. You can also delete the printer and allow the Operating System to re-detect it and set it up again. On the printer's control panel, you can also do a complete factory reset that may clear any internal memory problems the printer might be having.

If the printer is a network printer (connected via the JetDirect card), you'll want to make sure the printer's network connection is still okay (lights on the network card flashing) and that the print server that is running it is still working properly. You'd probably want to call in someone of this is the case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Visitation woes. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My ex partner and I have a court order issused in a state that we used to live in. We have both since moved out of this state. Myself 6 years ago and he, 2 years ago. Does our old order still stand or is another order needed... :confused:

Maintenance Woes [ 2 Answers ]

For the past two weeks I have turned in both written and verbal maintenance requests for two different problems. Problem 1: the kitchen sink will take 3 days for it to drain half a sinkfull of water, and even then, as one side drains, more comes back into the other side Problem 2: ...

Ex-boyfriend Woes [ 3 Answers ]

A b c d e f g h I j k l m n

Boot up Woes [ 9 Answers ]

I recently migrated my mobo into a new case, but found that now that the comp won't boot. At first it booted telling me that the Cmos Setup was wrong and that the Time and Date was not setup. So I shut it off and turned it back on a while ago only to find out that it won't boot to POST or nothing...

View more questions Search