Ask
    sq2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 03:59 AM
    Getting paid
    How can I get paid for live in care of an elderly man?:mad
    compsavvyimnot Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Jan 4, 2009, 04:05 AM
    Who is this man to you?
    If not family member, ask his family member for pay.
    If member of family, go to Social Security Depatment and request form.
    sq2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2009, 01:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by compsavvyimnot View Post
    who is this man to you?
    if not family member, ask his family member for pay.
    if member of family, go to Social Security Depatment and request form.

He is a family friend. I moved in with him in March 2008 in exchange for free rent to help him out around the house. Cleanning, doing dishes, vacuming, laundry and yard work. Since then he has become more demanding of the things I do for him. I live in 1/2 and bedroom and 1/2 a closet and feel that if I was licensed by the state I would get free rent plus pay for live in care. What can I do? I need a full job cause doing this for him takes up all my time and doesn't pay my bills.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 06:34 PM

There is a program that pays for people to take care of disabled people at home. I think it includes elderly. I don't know the name of it but I do think you can find out through social security, Respite care or some other organizations that advocate for the elderly and disabled.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 07:58 PM

1. the elderly person pays you

2. if you qualify and they qualify for the program ( not in all states I beleive) a licensed care agency can bill medicare for some of the charges. But the licensing is very hard for a agency, normally you would have to work though a program.
    compsavvyimnot Posts: 58, Reputation: 7

Jan 4, 2009, 11:00 PM
    Maybe you should sit down and write down your expenses. i.e.. Rent=$***, bills=$***.
    Then write down the services you provide for this man.
    Try to come to an agreement with him regarding fair compensation. i.e.. Light housekeeping=rent, cooking=for food. Something like that.
    Anything you do extra for him, ask him for pay. Anything he does extra for you, you pay.
    Or anything extra he needs done, kindly explain to him that you have expenses and you are forced to get a paying job, at least a Part-time one.
    If he really need you to get it done then he'll have to pay you like it was a regular job.

And you should both really look into government assistance for elderly care, not only you for yourself but help him to look into it too.
    So that way you can both win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will the car be paid for [ 2 Answers ]

:( I was driving my moms car and someone ran the stop sign and slammed into me.. Her car is totaled and I didn't have a Drivers license... the car is insured and I did get hurt... Will it all be covered by the other driver??

Really paid ? [ 7 Answers ]

:mad: Please help me. I win the $10,000,000 from freelotor.com. How to get the prize form myanmar. I have no master card or visa card. If frelotor is really paid ** DON'T POST PERSONAL INFORMATION **

Getting paid! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?

View more questions Search