Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myzkari Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 08:20 PM
    Highlight black hair
    I would like to highlight my hair which is black. Do I need to bleach if the color I would like to achieve is a chocolate brown or caramel brown?
    Tenant27 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2009, 08:33 PM

Have you dyed your hair before? It depends on how well your hair takes to color. I have had black hair and gotten it light without bleaching, but if your hair is more stubborn to color, you may need bleach.

I would try getting a bottle of light blonde dye and seeing if there is any change. If you dyed your hair to get it black, take a few strands and dye the bottom first. When hair is processed, the roots will change because its new growth.. the ends will be more stubborn.

If your hair has never been dyed it doesn't matter.

I would try that before bleach.
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Jan 13, 2009, 02:51 PM
    If your hair has been dyed, you won't be successful with anything but bleaching. If your hair is "virgin" (never been colored), you might be able to use a lighter hair color to get it to chocolate or caramel. Otherwise, use bleach.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How badly will having black hair dye stripped out damage my hair? [ 24 Answers ]

I recently dyed my naturally dark brown hair a bright black colour, and I am not very pleased with it at all. I know that stripping the colour on my own would seriously damage my hair (something I would like to avoid, as I have just finished growing out/cutting off some very damaged hair), but if I...

Black hair to lighter hair.this is a long story, take heed first time dyers! [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, here goes. I'm not a professional hair colourist, but I am a long standing veteran of home hair colour - I've had my hair all colours, all lengths, all styles and at the moment it's jet black. I've broken all the cardinal rules of hair colouring, and I can safely say that it's too much of a...

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

Highlight too dark dyed hair? [ 2 Answers ]

Today I dyed my hair a light ash brown and it is really dark, esp. since I am a dark blonde normally. Should I wait for it to fade and continue to get funny looks from friends OR should I put some highlights in to break up the all over brown? I have only washed it once and underneath this new...

View more questions Search