Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pokefan7790 Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 3, 2009, 03:09 PM
    Replacing a load bearing wall with an engineered beam.
    I have a load bearing wall between two living areas that I would like to remove to create one large space. I would like to do it without the beam exposed in the area. My question is can the ceiling joists be cut and reattached to the beam using joist hangers? I understand that there would have to be some temporary support walls constructed. Thanks for any advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 04:58 PM

You must have a beam but it could be above the finished ceiling. However, you would need supports at each end of the beam that could carry the entire load down to the foundation. This is not a DIY project and would require a structural engineer or architect to spec it out. I have done home repair for 45 years and would not attempt this on my own, it's a big, dangerous project.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 10:27 PM

Ive jacked up buildings and the temporary bracing. The "temper are" bracing will be form that ceiling and underneath the floor to carry the extra weight. I am curios. Is there A roof plate sitting on the interior wall? If so which way are the bottom roof rafters setting on that wall Are the parallel or perpendicular.
    Or is the ceiling "joist" a floor above this room

Signed 21 boat
    MasterFramer Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jan 4, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You must have a beam but it could be above the finished ceiling. However, you would need supports at each end of the beam that could carry the entire load down to the foundation. This is not a DIY project and would require a structural engineer or architect to spec it out. I have done home repair for 45 years and would not attempt this on my own, its a big, dangerous project.
    I agree completely, you need load ratings to get the correct size beam or else you could be hurting if there was an earthquake or something!
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2009, 03:49 PM

I knocked down a load bearing wall to make the master bedroom larger in my house. I was able to do it with a friend and my father-in-law because we left the engineered beam exposed. I agree with ballenger... hiding the beam and cutting away the preexisting joists is NOT a DIY job. You need an experienced crew and blueprints from an architect... don't forget the permits either.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to support a load bearing wall, need engineer, cement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to remove about 6 feet from an interior wall. The rafters run parallel with the wall but the reason I think it's load-bearing is because one of the trusses rests on the middle of the wall with a lateral x across it. I have existing pictures and a drawing of "the existing" and what is...

Replacing a load bearing wall [ 14 Answers ]

currently have a wall 12'6" that seperates the living room from a staircase, would like to box it out to have an opening to the stair well and make the wall just 4 foot tall. the wall is currently 2x4 16" on center with a double top plate. Attic space directly above it with the roof ridge 3 feet...

Sizing a beam to replace load bearing wall. [ 3 Answers ]

I am planning on removing 15' of a 2x6 load bearing wall in my basement and want to confirm the sizing of the steel beam. I had an engineer have a look, but the only engineer available is a semi-retired fellow who sized the beam in exchange for having a couple of beers with him in the process. ...

Installing half wall in load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

We are attempting to make our kitchen open concept with our living/dining room by creating either a half wall or putting in a window (what is the correct name for that?) The wall is load bearing. Do we need a permit for that type of reno? What would be a realistic budget to set aside for that...

Replacing windows in load bearing wall. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello - I am in the process of replacing all of the windows in my house, a few at a time. I am replacing the entire windows, casing and all, i.e. taking the existing windows out down to the rough opening. My contractor came out to measure the existing windows along with the marvin window guy so...

View more questions Search