Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ROBBY WERLY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2009, 01:23 PM
    What's the easiest way to get rid of a roommate?
    Hi: To begin, I'm a 58 year old single home owning man. My platonic roommate is a separated 60 year old woman who has been staying with me for approximately 2 and 1/2 years. I've been pretty much been paying all the bills while she's been looking (off & on)for low paying jobs, mainly in the tavern, 7-11 type of cust. Service employment. Her personality is of a hyper variety of talkingfast&notlettingyougetawordinuntilshe'sdone! Very irritating, done repeatedly! I've thought about talking to one of her immediate relatives, but almost all of them are more "unique" than she is! (her oldest daughter is a possibility). My problem is that I'm too damn kindhearted to throw her out in the streets! Say hi to the original sponge bob square pants! (I.E.---hard time saying no)
    Anybody out there been in a similar quandary like this? Should I hire a hit man named Bubba and end my problems with a single bullet? (Bad joke and not suicide!) Ideas and or suggestions will be cheerfully accepted. Hopefully, some, if not all of this manuscript was, at least mildly entertaining! Thanks in advance for your response, ROBBY WERLY
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 01:45 PM

Its funny because when I saw just your query without the specific's I thought hit man also,in jest of course!

Have you tried telling her its time she found her own place?

At 60 she should be eligible for senior citizen housing,which is much cheaper,usually based on income.

In NY there are waiting lists but if she gets on one now in a few months to a year you may be a free man.

Regardless ,if she did not annoy you it sounds like a nice act of kindness on your part has been sorely abused.

You just have to tell her you did not intent this relationship to be long term.You have a wit about you so make it funny but also get your point across.

She is old enough to go out on her own ;)and as a friend you have gone beyond the call of duty.

No one ever got anywhere by wishing it so ,just bite the bullet and tell her all the great options open to her when she gets her own place.

Best of luck!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 03:04 PM

It going be hard not easy if
    She doesn't want to leave. First you should tell her. Give her 30 days but if it seems like she doesn't plan on leaving your going have to get the courts involve and evict her.

It's hard getting people out and it's could be a long process. Hope she leaves peacefully.

Also, I hope you were joking about talking to her relative or daughter because that wouldn't be right.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2009, 03:08 PM

She is your tenant. Therefore you need to go through the formal eviction process. Check with your local courts for that is.
    wisedonkey Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2009, 11:03 AM
    Sir, get an attorney and evict her immediately. She is a parasite who will continue to take advantage of your kindness. If you get an attorney, your legal rights will be protected from her and her family. Once you have the legal papers in hand, inform her family also that you are evicting her. It is strange her family isn't helping her. Good luck!:p
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 12:19 PM

Sorry your good nature was taken advantage of. This woman must fend for herself now. Unfortunately you will need to formally evict her from your home. She will not go easily either and will definitely put up a fuss and fight you tooth and nail every inch of the way. The best way is to put an attorney into the picture and defer any questions she has to the attorney. You stay out of it completely otherwise she will definitely talk you into her staying longer.

If she is separated, why not divorced? If she came to live with you as she had no where else to go, this definitely speaks volumes about her relatives and children. You don't owe her anything as you are not her husband, father, son, etc.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wisedonkey View Post
    Sir, get an attorney and evict her immediately. She is a parasite who will continue to take advantage of your kindness. If you get an attorney, your legal rights will be protected from her and her family. Once you have the legal papers in hand, inform her family also that you are evicting her. It is strange her family isnt helping her. Good luck!:p

Actually you don't need an Attorney for an eviction. It's a pretty straight up, simple matter - unless OP also is seeking a restraining order.

I'm the first person to suggest legal advice but it is not necessary in this case.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2009, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    It going be hard not easy if
    she doesn't want to leave. First you should tell her. Give her 30 days but if it seems like she doesn't plan on leaving your going have to get the courts involve and evict her.

It's hard getting people out and it's could be a long process. Hope she leaves peacefully.

Also, I hope you were joking about talking to her relative or daughter because that wouldn't be right.

The 30 days part is not true in all States - where is this?

Sometimes it's a 3 day notice followed by 30 days. Just telling her to go is not going to get her out so unless OP wants to give 30 days followed by the "legal" 30 days he needs to legally evict her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best and easiest way to tone the pecs, and abs? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had pecks for sometime now. They are not easy to get rid of. I have tried many things, but, nothing has worked. My abs need sculpted too. And no matter how many sit-ups or crunches I do, I can't get any results. I need help desperately. I need to be fit fast, and I need a beach...

Easiest way to go you.S from Philippines [ 2 Answers ]

I have known a man in a chatting site for a long time and we develop a romantic relationship. His from U. S. divorced with 7 yrs old son and I am single. Can I go U.S. without him visiting to Philippines? What kind of visa will I need to get to enter U.S the easiest and fastest way?thanks

Easiest way to get pregnant? [ 29 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to be trying for a kid in the next 6 months. We've been using condoms for protection but I hear getting on birth control can help you have a baby faster. There isn't a history of people having issues getting pregnant in my family. Both my mother and sister had 3 healthy...

What color would be the easiest? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a dark brunette. Ive nevr dyed my hair but the greys are starting to come now. I want to do something different with it but I don't know where to begin. Could I go to an auburn without any problem?

Roommate Harrassment/Nightmare roommate [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living with my roommate for over 4 months now in a 2 bedroom apartment in western PA. We both signed a 1 year lease with the landlord. Little did I realize I signed a lease with a nightmare of a roommate. She throws parties 3+ nights a week, her friends smoke in the building (no smoking...

View more questions Search