Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mrs Agony Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Low cold water pressure in kitchen tap
    Hi All..

In my kitchen the cold water tap has very low water pressure but the hot water is just fine... what could cause this to happen.. we just bought the house and are trying to get all the quircks fixed... but this one is driving me nuts as it takes for ever to get water in the coffee pot in the morning.. :eek: :rolleyes: lol

Thanks in advance..

Marion
    andrewc24301 Posts: 374, Reputation: 29

Jan 3, 2009, 11:43 AM

If it's an older house, first, I'd dissasemble to faucet. You can clean the aerator. But since you said hot works fine, it sounds like the aerator is fine too.

If it were me, before taking apart the faucet, I'd turn off the cold water supply under the sink, and unhook the supply line, hold it over a bucket and crack the valve under the sink back open.

If there high pressure, then your problem is in the faucet, dissasemble and clean, or replace, what ever you feel like doing.

If there is low pressure, then the problem is somewhere in the water line.
    Since you have good hot water pressure, then it's likley that you have older galvanized plumbing. And perhaps someone had already replaced the hot water line.

If this is your case, and you go into your basement and discover galvanized pipe (grey metal pipe NOT copper) then this would be your problem. Replace the pipe with something more modern, (copper, plastic, etc)

Jan 3, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Thanks for the help... I wouldn't worry about it too much if it was just a little bit but since it is really low preassure it drives me nuts... it was almost like as if the cold water line wasn't turned on enough but it is..

I think some pipeing has been replaced but haven't really looked to see what has been..

Marion
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
    How old is your home and what type of pipes do you have? Copper, CPVC or galvanized? Regards, tom

Jan 3, 2009, 09:08 PM
    It is a 71 Fleetwood single wide trailer.. and I think some of the pipes are pvc.. some are that flexible weave pipeing..
    I just got home from shopping so ill take a look in a little bit I'm just so tired right now.. but I will let you know..

Marion

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

No cold water in Kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

Why do we only get hot water in the kitchen sink? The cold water quick working this morning. We still get cold water out of all the other sinks.

No cold water pressure in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved in a month ago and from the beginning and the water pressure on the cold water side in the kitchen faucet is very low. The hot water is normal and all the other faucets seem to have normal pressure. Any suggestions?

Low cold water flow/pressure in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

We live on the 6th floor in a 12-story condo building and have always had low cold water flow/pressure in the kitchen sink. The hot water is OK, as is the cold water in the bathrooms. I've adjusted the pressure valve under the sink to get as much flow/pressure as possible, but the stream is barely...

View more questions Search