Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeswa1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 08:22 PM
    I'm thinking about going back to school for nursing.
    I'm thinking about going back to school for nursing...
    And I'm wondering if it's for me.
    Any wise nurses out there that could enlighten me on the real world of being an RN?

Z
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 08:23 PM

I know it requires long hours and a lot of dedication.

J_9 should be able to tell you what questions to ask yourself to know if it is for you or not. Is there something you wouldwant to specialize in?
    zeswa1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 08:42 PM

I'm not sure what type of nursing I would go into. I'm not even through my anatomy class yet. Are you a nurse?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 08:46 PM

No I can't even handle the sight of blood OR a needle.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 08:46 PM

I'm not a nurse, but I can tell you that my mom was a nurse. She would get attached to her patients and one time a little boy that she got very close to died. That was when she quit. Not everyone is cut out to be a nurse but I do know people that are and they love their jobs.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 09:09 PM

Hard work,on your feet all day,often very physical labor and many times shift work depending on where you get hired and while the money may be an incentive nurses are still sorely underpaid.
    There is a nursing shortage and as a result your patient load may be overwhelming.
    Not a nurse but I went to school to be a med.asst. and got to see the world of nursing close up.
    Very demanding work and I believe that nurses are true angels on earth because what keeps them going is a wonderful dedication that is very admirable.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 09:14 PM
    LOL, I just graduated nursing school and am currently an RN specializing in labor & delivery; prenatal care; and newborn nursery.

If you aren't sure this is what you want, you need to take a step back and re-evaluate what it is you want in life. Nursing school is not for everybody and it is EXTREMELY demading of not only your time, but your mind, sleep deprivation, and loss of family for about 2 years.

You won't be sure what kind of nurse you want to be until you are in school and go through your different rotations such as; med-surg, OB, Peds, surgery, geriatrics, psych, ER, etc. That is where you usually find your niche.
    gr8reids Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2009, 10:05 AM

If you care about people then it is a good profession. I am a Pediatric RN, because I love kids. You do get attached to your patients, and yes it does hurt when they die, I have been to too many funerals, but I know I made a difference in their lives and the parents. With the nursing shortage you are often overloaded and the "paperwork" is ridiculous, and the hours are too long, - 12-hour shifts, that are never 12 hours but more like 14. It still can be very rewarding.
    eskimopups Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2009, 08:42 PM

The career is rewarding. You must be able to handle stress well and think on your feet. I have 3 degrees on total opposite ends of the spectrum... again nursing is the most rewarding. There is no routine, you must be an honest person and ready for long days.
    Dyehard Trish Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2009, 05:06 PM

I am a pediatric nurse and have been for 11years. You do get attached to pt's and families. You have to ask yourself why you want to be a nurse if it is money re-evaluate. If you want to do it because you care about people and want to make a difference then you are on the right track. Yes nurses are paid well but still underpaid for the work load. You have to do some self evaluating it is very rewarding.
    Calimom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
    I am going back to school to become a nurse. Like J_9, I would love to get into labor and delivery, prenatal and newborn nursery. I went to school and got my bachelors in Business Administration and am currently working in an office. I am quite excited about going back to school and changing careers. Is there anyone out there is going through the same thing or have some insight or opinion?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Autopsy in nursing school? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm about to start nursing school at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette next month, getting my BSN as a second bachelors. I was told by someone, who has never attended nursing school, that I'd have to "do" an autopsy. I'm aware of "doing" one on an animal, but I wasn't aware that we'd have...

Nursing School [ 1 Answers ]

I live in South Carolina and am a resident there now. My family lives in Ohio - for financial reasons I am planning on moving back to Ohio and going to nursing school at a state school. Is there a way financially that I can become a duel resident and get Ohio "in state" tuition without living...

Guestion about Going to school (nursing) [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering I am going to start schooling for becoming a nurse to work on the labor and delivery floor of hospitals well I was wondering after you do so much of your schooling can you start working at hospitals doing only certain things?

View more questions Search