Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cessna182 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 04:00 PM
    Bad Battery Indication
    I have a 1 1/2 Y/O Pentax K100D SLR. Often it will give me a "Battery Depleted" message and won't work. This happens with fresh batteries that I have metered so I know they are good. Any suggestions?
    ggcadc Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 04:18 PM
    Seems to me this is not an uncommon problem... are you using alkaline or lithium batts?

Look here:
    K100D battery life - PentaxForums.com

And Here:
    K100D - "Low-Battery" Problem - PentaxForums.com

Jan 2, 2009, 04:25 PM

Using Energizer Industrials (Alkaline I"m sure) but this is a very recent problem. I"vee shooting it for some time with no trouble with the same batteries.
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24

Jan 2, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna182 View Post
    Using Energizer Industrials (Alkaline I"m sure) but this is a very recent problem. I"vee shooting it for some time with no trouble with the same batteries.
    This could be due to dirty/corroded battery contacts. Try cleaning the battery contacts in the camera using a clean pencil eraser. Hold the camera so that the eraser debris falls out of the battery compartment as you clean. Also clean the contacts on the battery. Clean both ends of the battery, and the contacts at both ends of the battery compartment. Depending on how the batteries fit in your camera one set of contacts may be in the battery compartment door.

If this doesn't fix the problem then try brand new batteries - there may be a problem with the set you have been using for a while.

If neither of these fix the problem, then the problem is internal in the camera. In that case, if the camera is still under warranty have it repaired (or replaced). If the camera is out of warranty usually the repair cost is greater than the value of the camera and you are better off putting the money towards a new camera.

Jan 2, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Thank you. There might be a corrosion problem now that you mention it. This first started when on vacation at the beach in Florida last summer. I'll give it a try. Repairs must be outrageously expensive. It's about a $500.00 camera.

Jan 2, 2009, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna182 View Post
    Thank you. There might be a corrosion problem now that you mention it. This first started when on vacation at the beach in Florida last summer. I'll give it a try. Repairs must be outrageously expensive. It's about a $500.00 camera.
    If this started when you were at the beach, you may also have some success if you gently rub the contacts with some rubbing alcohol on a swab. Use a *barely* moist swab, and let the contacts dry for at least a few hours before you put batteries in and try again. If you have any salt residue on the contacts, this *may* help.

Jan 2, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdill View Post
    This could be due to dirty/corroded battery contacts. Try cleaning the battery contacts in the camera using a clean pencil eraser. Hold the camera so that the eraser debris falls out of the battery compartment as you clean. Also clean the contacts on the battery. Clean both ends of the battery, and the contacts at both ends of the battery compartment. Depending on how the batteries fit in your camera one set of contacts may be in the battery compartment door.

If this doesn't fix the problem then try brand new batteries - there may be a problem with the set you have been using for a while.

If neither of these fix the problem, then the problem is internal in the camera. In that case, if the camera is still under warranty have it repaired (or replaced). If the camera is out of warranty usually the repair cost is greater than the value of the camera and you are better off putting the money towards a new camera.
    I misread what type of camera you have - since this is an SLR it is likely to be worth servicing. Often if you send it in for "clean and service" it will clear up problems of this type. I don't know what it will cost for your camera but for Canon DSLRs it usually runs ~$75-100, plus shipping.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen Pipes Indication [ 3 Answers ]

What are the indications that your pipes are frozen before they burst and after?

Car battery [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2002 PT cruiser with 27,000 miles and no problem with starting How do I know when to replace the battery?

Battery or not? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1989 Honda civic hatchback and the past couple days it started acting up. It will start sometimes, so I changed the battery connecters and re-charged the battery. It'll only start if I jump it or kick start it, but it starts it runs fine. I'm not sure if I need a new battery? Please help? ...

How to clear paper jam indication [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I read that there are a number of printer experts on this forum so here goes... I had a paper jam... I cleared it... but the indication of paper jam would not go away... and as long as it would not go away... the printer would not print... the printer is a HP deskjet D1320... very...

Trying to fall pregnant:could spotting be an indication of ovulation? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Hope someone can answer my question or at least give me some good advice! I went off contraception about 5 months ago and thought my periods were pretty regular (with 28-30 days between them). Then last month about 14 days after I started my period, I started spotting. It wasn't anything like...

View more questions Search