Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    askme1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Should I start eviction due to not giving proper notice
    Hi,

I have a tenant who gave me 30 days notice to leave but lease has 60 days notice and she didn't pay current month's rent... says the security deposit covers that but lease states security is not rent.

The risk is overstaying her notice and then starting the eviction process would lost a lot of time.

Tenant is in PA.

Any advice or experience?

Thanks,
    Matt
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 12:43 PM

Yes the Pa rule is sec dep is not considered rent.
    You can give her a written eviction notice -certified mail as well as hand delivered is best. Then after the time is up and she has not left or paid up you can go to the district magistrate and file a formal eviction.

15 days before filing an eviction case, if your lease is for one year or less; or

30 days before filing an eviction case, if your lease is for more than one year.

Pennsylvania Evictions
    askme1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 12:54 PM
    OK...

How much security deposit can I keep due to unproper notice? She has 2 mth security and lease does state criteria of security deposit return such as proper notice..

Also, I have other criteria for return of deposit such as removing all personal belongings and other things but what is the law/rules for keeping security and how much?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 12:59 PM

I think the security deposit is separate from the proper notice. You would have to sue for whatever amount they owe.
    The security deposit is for damages to the apartment.
    Just like she can not say the sec dep is to cover the rent neither can you keep it toward rent.
    I think your best bet is to go with a legal eviction.
    I think you would be entitled to hold on to the sec dep until they pay up or deduct it from what is not paid but technically you can't just say it is being held toward rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Giving proper 30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

How do I give proper notice to a month to month tenant to vacate an apt in buffalo ny?

Eviction notice or quit notice [ 1 Answers ]

I've been living in this house for 46 years with my mother, sister and brother. My beloved uncle decided to take over the house because the house needed repairs. He was approved for a second mortgage. Unforunatelly he passed away. My aunt became exceutive of his estate or so she claimed, Any...

View more questions Search