Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbkickup Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 11:12 AM
    Can a Christan go to Hell for joining the Military?
    For the last 18 month's I've been getting ready to joing the US Army. I come from a small church, of about 80 people.
    We are very patriotic in my church. Doing found raisers, for family’s, of the fallen solder’s. To organizing Christmas cards, care packages, etc. I am only 1 of many of the young people in my church, who are going to serve our country proudly. I have come across one young man, I was told by one person in my church, that I’m going to hell for joining, that I’m braking the first, commandment of serving another god. That I’m going to murder innocent people, who are just trying to fight for there freedom. Fist of all I know he was totally off about calling a tourist, a freedom fighter. I also know the difference between killing for self-defense, and defense of your country. And murder. I told him “If I go to hell, for defending my country, and to do what God has called to do. Then I’ll go to hell.” I need to know could I going I go to hell for joining? What does the Bible have to say about it?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 11:26 AM

Ask him what he thinks about the wars of the Bible and the Holy men that had to fight in them.
    Many wars were ungodly and fought in the name of God like the inquisitions but there are also wars that people have been true heroes and even helped the civilians of the country the war was being fought. You have to follow your heart. I have heard many stories that many of the soldiers have done a lot of good for the people of Iraq but the media only wants to publicize the bad.
    Starbucks21 Posts: 282, Reputation: 23

Jan 19, 2009, 09:28 AM

1. Not all jobs are combat. There are a lot of jobs that you can pick that you wouldn't do anything that conflicted with your beliefs. My mos(job) is a 68w (medic).

2. You are defending your country. Defense and survival is a consider 2 times it is OK to kill.

Just make sure you pick a non-combat military job (about 70-80% are non-combat) Like mechanic, medic, something along these lines.

In the medical part of the job, I save people and make sure everyone comes home. The only time I kill is if someone ever makes a direct attack to me (self-defense). Which is against the Geneva convention.
    armyguy98c10 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sbkickup View Post
    For the last 18 month's I've been getting ready to joing the US Army. I come from a small church, of about 80 people.
    We are very patriotic in my church. Doing found raisers, for family’s, of the fallen solder’s. To organizing Christmas cards, care packages, etc. I am only 1 of many of the young people in my church, who are going to serve our country proudly. I have come across one young man, I was told by one person in my church, that I’m going to hell for joining, that I’m braking the first, commandment of serving another god. That I’m going to murder innocent people, who are just trying to fight for there freedom. Fist of all I know he was totally off about calling a tourist, a freedom fighter. I also know the difference between killing for self-defense, and defense of your country. And murder. I told him “If I go to hell, for defending my country, and to do what God has called to do. Then I’ll go to hell.” I need to know could I going I go to hell for joining? What does the Bible have to say about it?.

Whoever said the above that I have bolded out is an idiot. I am in the US Army. I defiantly do not worship anyone other than God. The armed forces do not ask, demand, or require worshiping the military, the country, or “uncle Sam”. If what that person said were true anyone who fights against a cop are also defending there freedom and cops are going to hell too. Now does that make any sense? No it doesn’t and NO YOU WILL NOT GO TO HELL!!

The bible also says that no greater love than a man dying for his friends an example that comes to mind is that of a soldier who jumps on a grenade that take his life so that his friends don't die also.
    KatiePlce Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Mar 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks21 View Post
    1. Not all jobs are combat. There are alot of jobs that you can pick that you wouldn't do anything that conflicted with your beliefs. My mos(job) is a 68w (medic).

2. You are defending your country. Defense and survival is a consider 2 times it is ok to kill.

Just make sure you pick a non-combat military job (about 70-80% are non-combat) Like mechanic, medic, something along these lines.

In the medical part of the job, I save people and make sure everyone comes home. The only time I kill is if someone ever makes a direct attack to me (self-defense). Which is against the Geneva convention.

Medic not so much... My boyfriend is a medic & he's IN THE FRONT LINES, he has to be with all the 11b's (infantry) to make sure there all okay. So yes medics can become combat medics happens all the time...

But yes if your concern about you taking a life you should really consider your months that is if you haven't already signed your name on the dotted line.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 04:50 PM

Yes, the military even has christian chaplains to assist you. If you remember Christ witnessed to the soldier and cured his dauhter

Being a soldier was and is a career.
    We are even told to obey the government over us.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Mar 17, 2009, 05:23 PM

I know that this isn't verbatim and even though the exact quote was referring to 'rules and paying taxes' I believe it still applies;

Give unto God what is his and give unto Rome what is theirs...
    coolblue75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 06:34 PM
    The one thing to keep in mind and always remember is if you do not accept jesus christ (as your Lord and savior, believe in God, Confess that He is Lord and ask for forgiveness of your sins and ask Him to come into your heart,) than you will be going to hell.

The most horrifying thing about hell is complete separation from God.

Never experiencing Love, or goodness ever again because God is Love and everything good thing comes from God.

Once you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and become a christian remember no one can snatch you out of the Father's Hand and nothing and no one will be able to separte you from the love of God. Nor height nor depth, nor life nor death, nor angels, nor demons, will ever be able to separte you from the love of God. Remember God Is Love.

Christians sometimes worry, oh I hope I never commit the unpardonable sin, but what they don't understand is the unpardonable sin is to reject God and choosing not to believe in Him.
    mountaintopman Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2009, 07:47 PM
    TRUE STORY -- Watch the old black and white movie 'SGT YORK' - this soldier struggles with his service vs the word of God. After he overcomes his struggle SGT york goes on to win the Medal of Honor during WWI. Overall you will find members of the military are much more religious then the general civilian population. We are all serve God and country proudly.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

Joining the FBI [ 2 Answers ]

I have a bachelors degree in Physics, I have been in the army for two years doing counterintelligence and I am curious how difficult would it be to make a transition to joining the FBI. I have a clearance and have had no major criminal problems.

Middle Child Syndrome/Joining the Military [ 5 Answers ]

Ok I have two questions to ask, but they go together so I just wanted to make one thread. I am wondering if middle child syndrome is real? I am asking this because of three children, I am the middle one. My older sister is 20, and I have a younger brother. Well for some reason everything I do...

View more questions Search