Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AliasJones Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Mixing powder with melted silver?
    Ok, this is going to seem a bit crazy, but I can't find an answer anywhere else.

If you are a silversmith, know a silversmith, or just happen to know the answer, can you tell me:

Can a fine powder be mixed with melted silver and that silver still be usable for forming into a piece of jewellery?

For example, if someone crushed a sandstone into powder, melted silver and mixed the powder in, could they still use that silver to make a bracelet or something, or would the powder mess up the silvers ability to solidify and hold correctly?

I'm writing a novel, this is part in it, I can't find the answer... ;)

Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:45 AM

Mixing sandstone powder and silver won't work. Sandstone has a low melting point. It will separate from the silver. I think if you want that to work though, lead has to be added which will only dull your finished product. Not a good presentation for jewellery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dollar silver certificate, silver coins [ 9 Answers ]

Can any one tell me to possible value of the following $5 silver certificate 1953 A * 26405592 A $5 silver certificate 1953 A E 32214086 A $2 United States Note 1963 red seal $2 Federal Reserve Note 1976 green seal $1 silver certificate 1957 blue seal $1 silver certificate 1957 A blue seal...

Remove melted wax from tablecloth [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get melted candle wax off a cloth tablecloth?

Wire between tstats melted. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore dryer (86670100). The wire between the exhaust thermostat and heating element thermostat melted. Could the thrmostats be broken?

Melted candle wax [ 8 Answers ]

Hiya can anyone help me I lit a candle and the melted wax has spilt on my carpet has anyone got any idea of getting it off the carpet its gone hard!:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search