Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Jan 2, 2009, 10:29 AM
    What would be a good name for new business?
    I am a machinist for a living.
    I began learning cnc programming about 6 years ago.
    This year, I started playing with artwork within my cad cam software.
    I made a couple of clocks, one of which was given to my boss for Christmas this year.

He was so highly impressed, that he wants to venture into a different sort of business which will incorporate my newfound hobby into the workplace.

We have been doing some research into versatile machinery. For a very small initial investment, we have found a laser engraver, and a cnc plasma torch to be the wisest investments.

The laser will enable us to cut a wide variety of materials with high precision. We will be able to offer things such as etching a person's name on their new barbecue utensils, or ink pen, and coupled with the plasma cutter, cutting a custom scene out of a 5'x10' sheet of steel to hang as a gate on someone's entry to their grand palace.

The type of laser etching machine we are looking into is usually found in a custom embroidery or monogram service. But they are capable of way more than simply monogramming someone's name. Though we will be offering this, I am really looking for things more creative.

What would be a good name for a company offering such unlimited capabilities?
    I want to attract as much custom design and artwork as I can, as well as little quick jobs such as selling lazed pens for pr guys to hand out etc... like you could get from a monogramming service.

Something like Panhandle Monogram and Custom Design??
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 10:31 AM

To me the best name would invlove both the profession and your location. It's very informative in itself and people won't have to wonder where its and what you do?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 11:41 AM

Versatile Engravers/Monograms?

Just a thought...
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:41 AM

Well lets see do you want to involve the wor monogram or embroidery or something along that line?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 11:51 AM

I can only tell you something I was told long ago that is a good hint.

A business name that begins with an A or B is going to be put first in business yellow pages in your phone book.

Some people just browse the yellow pages when looking for a business so I was told that would be advantageous to be first seen.

Just a hint !
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:57 AM

All-Around Monograms/Engravers
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2009, 05:53 PM

The clock you created for your boss is awesome. No wonder he wants to go into business with you.

How about laserEtchers or something along those lines?
    Networking Expert

Jan 4, 2009, 08:41 PM

Very impressive clock. I think you'll do a fine job!
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Jan 5, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Thanks for all of the suggestions(and kind words :o) so far.

I truly am grateful.

I was thinking though that I needed to steer clear of the word monogram, as that only describes one minute service which will be provided. I like the suggestion of starting with an A. That is something simple that would probably make a significant difference.

I enjoy thinking aloud, and encourage others to continue to do so. Just so you all can be on the same page as me:
    1. I want to steer clear of the word monogram; it sounded good at first, however does nothing for our proposed versatility.

2. I need to somehow state my location.(but do I really have to? )

3. Begin with an a??

4. Short and sweet (4 words at the most)

My next idea... I'm thinking of being more descriptive in a "moto", and keeping the name simple.

A to Z Gift Creations

At A to Z Gift Creations, You can choose from many of our unique gift ideas, or give us a hint as to what you are looking for, and we will strive to create it. All gifts can be made personal...all the way down to the artistic details. After all, all gifts should be personal.
    We can create just about anything out of just about everything. There is no job too big, and cerainly no job too small. Feel free to browse our catalog, or simply contact us with your idea. We are located in the heart of the United States, and are willing to ship anywhere.

Ideas... thoughts... please be critical.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 10:43 AM

I am going with everyone's suggestions.. start with an A,don't use Monogram :)

Art Nouveau Etchers

Artistic Etch (but this one makes me think of Itch instead of Etch,so it doesn't sound too good)

Art Unique Etchers

All Unique Etchers

Art Unique Inscribers

Art Chiseler
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 10:48 AM

ArstitEtch

(atistic itch firmy lol)
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 11:37 AM

How about:

A+ Custom Designs

A+ Inscribers

A+ Design Guys

Just somehting A= is my suggestion. I really like the A+ Custom Designs.

Let me know
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandy;1464910

I enjoy thinking aloud, and encourage others to continue to do so. Just so you all can be on the same page as me:
    1. I want to steer clear of the word monogram; it sounded good at first, however does nothing for our proposed versatility.

2. I need to somehow state my location.(but do I really have to??)

3. Begin with an a ???

4. Short and sweet (4 words at the most)

My next idea..... I'm thinking of being more descriptive in a "moto", and keeping the name simple.

[CENTER
    A to Z Gift Creations

At A to Z Gift Creations, You can choose from many of our unique gift ideas, or give us a hint as to what you are looking for, and we will strive to create it. All gifts can be made personal...all the way down to the artistic details. After all, all gifts should be personal.
    We can create just about anything out of just about everything. There is no job too big, and cerainly no job too small. Feel free to browse our catalog, or simply contact us with your idea. We are located in the heart of the United States, and are willing to ship anywhere.[/CENTER]

Ideas...thoughts...please be critical.

This is fun. Here are a few random thoughts:

incorporating your location could have a limiting effect on the imagination and potential to expand your business in the future

You seem to be wanting ideas for (1) a business name, (2) a slogan and (3) advertising copy. If that's the case, my general impression is:

*a company name is usually only one or two words helping it stick in memory (plus you'll be using it a lot so want it to roll off the tongue)

*slogans make a statement about your business and are usually a short sentence long (mission statement)

*advertising copy length varies depending on your audience, what you're trying to achieve and medium you use... a newspaper ad compared to what is said on your website, for instance.

I like the way you've worded your ad... expressions like 'give us a hint as to what you are looking for, and we will strive to create it', 'all gifts can be made personal... all the way down to the artistic details... ', 'located in the heart of the United States' are really effective and appeal to me.

A to Z Gift Creations

We can create just about anything out of just about everything. There is no job too big, and cerainly no job too small. Feel free to browse our catalog, or simply contact us with your idea. We are located in the heart of the United States, and are willing to ship anywhere.

The only critical thought I had is that saying 'we can create just about anything out of just about everything' is too broad --- you could be making teddy bears and beach umbrellas, for example. I'm also wondering if the laser technology you'll be using is the distinctive factor in what you'll be creating. If that's the case, then I tend to think your name needs to reflect this.

The names Firmy suggested appealed to me. I wouldn't necessarily limit your name with the condition it starts with the letter 'A' though since googling has changed the way products are being searched.
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Jan 6, 2009, 07:07 PM
    If you are actually know as "Trandy,", I like Trandy's Trendy Designs. :rolleyes:
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 06:24 AM

"Trandy agrees: I'm liking it....how 'bout A+ Custom Gifts and Creations...?"

I like the A+ Custom Gifts and Creations. The best yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can big business be a force for good? [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone help me with this topic... I'm suppose to write an essay on it but I don't know what points to write

Business Partnerships? Good or bad? [ 3 Answers ]

I have heard of so many horror stories, even in my own family of partnerships gone wrong, even when it seemed so right in the beginning. Would you please share your experience and if you think that partnerships in general are a good idea? Thanks!

Business Being Named the Same as Another Business and Registering a Business [ 3 Answers ]

What if mt business name is taken and how do I register my company or business? :)

How to identify a good business? [ 1 Answers ]

I really interested in buying a business, but anyone have any idea how to look at the book? I'm an accounting major I guess I'm not a good one, I might able to follow any expert instruction quickly. Please tell me what to look for and where you get you experience from ? What kind of book you...

Good-To-Go business plans [ 2 Answers ]

In my efforts to get started on my previous question, I began searching out business plan templates to help me get started. I came across a site goodtogobizplans.com. They basically provide you a preformatted business plan for your specific area of interest, then you personalize it with your...

View more questions Search