Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeanOg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Wiring a thermostat with one R terminal with two transformers
    I just bought a White Rodgers IF8RF-275 wireless remote sensor thermostat. It has only one R terminal, while my old system had a Rh and a Rc. I have an oil furnace hot water heat and a central A/C system. Each has its own transformer. How DO I wire the thermostat?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 10:34 AM
    No such model number listed at White Rodgers. Please check exact number.

Jan 2, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Sorry, 1F85RF-275
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 12:11 PM
    I would suggest you start with the correct thermostat for this application. It'll be a snap from there. It'll also be a snap with what you have now, followed by some smoke, then cooler indoor temperatures.

Jan 2, 2009, 04:12 PM
    KC-13 is correct. There is a way for a professional to combine both transformers to work on one R terminal but for you to attempt that would probably end in a smoking disaster. Get the correct thermostat and BTW I still do not find that number listed at the WR main web site or in my electronic catalogue.

Jan 2, 2009, 04:59 PM
    Thank you. Do you guys know of any remote sensor thermostats, preferably wireless that have the rh and rc terminals and are battery powered, not battery backup?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 05:03 PM
    One that meets all that criteria? Not me.

Jan 2, 2009, 06:01 PM
    Just put on a factory seminar for Venstar brand thermostats. They have nice remote control setup that could be modified to your needs. During the seminar I produced a wiring diagram to eliminate this problem. You could have a professional HVAC contractor eliminate both 24 volt transformers and replace them just one transformer. This eliminates the problem and will offer you the benefit of a much larger selection of wireless units.

All of the thermostat wireless units hand held controls are battery operated with only the receiver needing power from the 24 volt supply. Since the receiver can be mounted almost anywhere this eliminates that problem.

As a side benefit by having a professional change over the low voltage from a two to a one transformer system the smoke problem goes away.

Venstar Inc. - Thermostats
    Venstar Inc. - Thermostats

MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jan 2, 2009, 06:04 PM

Remote sensors make me cringe, wireless or otherwise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring codes from old Carrier thermostat to new Hunter thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

WIRING CODE HELP FOR THERMOSTAT I am in an office and have an old Carrier programmable thermostat which no longer works. I purchased a Hunter 44660 thermostat to replace. My problem is that the wiring codes on the previous thermostat do not match up the codes on the new thermostat. Codes and...

Locating the why terminal on a white-rodgers thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to locate the y terminal on my white-rodgers thermostat, thank you

Wiring transformers [ 2 Answers ]

When wiring a transformer, what does the XO symbol stand for?

Thermostat terminal designations not matching [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a new a honeywell thermostat model TH8920 programmable to upgrade my existing lennox model 21J7101 non programmable and the terminal designations DO NOT MATCH \ Existing terminal and wire on Lennox 21J7101 are as follow: O= Reversing Relay, Orange cable wire attached G= Fan Relay,...

No RC terminal on new thermostat? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I saw your name on an internet search for thermostat wiring problems, so I thought I would try you for this one. I could not get help elsewhere. I have an oil burner, and a separate a/c unit. I installed a programmable thermostat 2 years ago that works well, although the location is...

View more questions Search