Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inamess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Can personal property be levied when collecting on a judgement against a corporation?
    Hi, thanks for answering my question. My husband has a business that is incorporated. He was sued by a company he owed money to for materials. (Background info-we owed over $18000 and were paying on it. Had it down to about $8,000 and weren't able to make the big $1,000 payments we were making on it. We would send something, but it wasn't acceptable to them and they sued us) Over the course of several months we probably paid another $2500 on it. Then my husband got sick and we couldn't pay anything at all. I called the attorney's office that we were dealing with and they said "no problem, send it when you can". Next thing you know (probably a month after I called them) they levied his business bank account. He had just been back to work after being off for over 2 months. He had just finished a job and was paid and they wiped the account out. Not to mention that half of the money in the account belonged to his helper on the job. It was about $3500. We had to borrow from my parents to make up for it. So now they are sending us a personal examination letter and I am confused as to what we have to disclose. The original debt was from an account in the business' name. When they sued us, it was in both the business name and my husband's name. So my question is, can they go after our personal property (ie house, car, etc) or only after things in the business' name (which there isn't much of). The total we owe is now about $2000. I am in Ohio, by the way if that helps.

Thanks for any advice!
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2009, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inamess View Post
    So my question is, can they go after our personal property (ie house, car, etc) or only after things in the business' name (which there isn't much of). The total we owe is now about $2000. I am in Ohio, btw if that helps.

Thanks for any advice!
    I have attached a link that should provide additional information. Your house is most likely 'real' property; everything else is 'personal' property. If the judgement is in the business name and your husband's name (personal), then whatever your husband owns, individually or jointly (with you), could be subject to payment of the debt.
    Collecting On Small Claims Judgments

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will personal Chap 13 bankruptcy affect my sub-S corporation in any way? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a part-owner in a sub-S corporation and may have to file C13 bankruptcy protection. I will definitely do anything I can to avoid C7 as I make okay money and I owe the debts I have w/out dispute. I do not want them voided out on the rest of us. Anyway, it is my understanding that under C7,...

Can MS personal property be levied? [ 1 Answers ]

In Mississippi do they allow the levy of personal property to settle a judgment? My bank accounts have already been garnished.

Collecting a judgement [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about claiming my judgement money from a small claims case? It was filed against a small company in Florida not an individual. I live out of state from the defendant and I already know the guy is a dead beat because he has owed me the money for over a year. Are there companies that...

Collecting on a personal judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I received a judgement against a contractor. How do I go about making sure that judgement shows up on his credit? Can I file the judgement in the county he lives in too? Can his wages be garnished? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Collecting a judgement [ 14 Answers ]

Won a judgement bk in oct 2004 and have not received any money from this person he owns a trailer park and in 2005 he let his friend be partner with him in the trailer park.I did a notice of writ which I took out in June of 2005 what that do I do not know.but that is what the courts told me to do I...

View more questions Search