Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2121soindeeptrouble Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Garnishment
    I was wondering is there a limit to what can be garnished?
    I know that the court can order wage garnishment and bank account
    Garnishment/freeze, but can they touch my retirement account?
    My husband's separate savings account? Can they order me to sell the house that is under my husband's name? I live in Washington and the debt that is
    Looming over me is $8,000. :confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Retirement accounts can't be garnished, but distributions may be attached. Whether they can go after your husband depends on how the debt was incurred.

They cannot make you sell your home, even if it was in your name. The most they might be able to do is put a lien on it and that is very unlikely.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Agree with Scott, ( still have to pass it around, wish we did not have to pass it so much)

Not sure about your area, but once they have a judgement, it is good for 10 years here. And they are allowed to go back and request it to be extended after that ( but they will have to show why they believe they can get the money after 10 years if they have not so far)
    kjackson Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Aug 3, 2006, 03:24 PM
    Garnishment amounts vary State by State. Generally speaking on unsecured debt no State can go above the Federal limit of 25% of your net check (take home pay). Additionally Federal law prohibits more than 1 creditor garnishing at a time. You may also see if you can file for an "exemption of hardship" if the amount is impeding on your necessities of life (food,clothing and shelter)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment in process? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi... New , but in desperate help. I received a Garnishment letter in the mail today for a medical bill from 2003.(?) -2000.00 Here's the thing- I only work 4-6 hrs a week. I go to school full-time and my daughter and I live on financial aide (student loans) and child support. Can they really...

Georgia Garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just found out that there is a garnishment on my bank account in Georgia resulting in a zero balance :( Do you think they can take my car This debt is not related to my car which is paid for. Also do you think there is anyway I can get this garnishment off my account? I am trying to pay this...

Garnishment of wages [ 3 Answers ]

How is a garnishment handled when 2 parties were envolved for one payment, can one person only be garnished for the payment due, what to do if they try to put it on one person:confused:

Garnishment in Texas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement against me for a very large amount on an unsecured credit card. Can my checking account be frozen? Someone told me that the company can freeze my checking account. Is that true? Xhalfpintx

Stopping a garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Can a garnsihment be stopped once it has started? Or do I have to let it run its course?:confused:

View more questions Search