Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonserenity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 06:48 PM
    Can you identify this bug?
    I found this bug beside my back door in November, (although the properties on my picture show Feb. this railing was not put up until the first of Oct). I have never seen anything like this before.
    I wish I had captured him/it but wasn't sure if it were dangerous or not.
    For sizing purposes, the post it is on is 3" on the section it is on.
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 07:45 PM

Hi, nonserenity!

Oh my, what a creature! Let's see, six legs, two very long antennae. Are there any wings? Did it jump at all? Where are you located, please? It might help to know that.

Thanks!
    nonserenity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 07:51 PM
    Sorry, should have said I'm in middle Georgia. I don't know if it had wings or not, although it looks like they are folded. I was in a hurry and barely had time to snap the pictures before hubby drove off. I really liked his hugh eyes.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 08:55 PM

It kind of looks like a Stonefly, but there are 600 species of them. Ouch!

American Stonefly Web Page
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 09:07 PM
    Thanks!

You really did do a great job with taking the pictures! We also know that he's spotted. Just to get a closer look at your critter, I've done close-ups on the images and made them a little brighter.

Kind of makes you want to reach out to pet him, doesn't it! :eek:

Name:  Critter A - Use.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  174.2 KB

Name:  Critter B - Use.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  194.6 KB
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nonserenity View Post
    I really liked his huge eyes.
    You're critter friend's eyes or your husband's if and when he saw the bug? :D

I just had to add that.. LOL! :)

The eyes on the bug are interesting. They kind of do look like the eyes of a fly.
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Jan 22, 2009, 12:32 PM
    That bug is generally called a long-horned beetle (family Cerambycidae). The species might be a flat faced longhorn, probably Aegomorphus modestus (Subfamily Lamiinae, Tribe Acanthoderini, Genus Aegomorphus) Check this website Flat Faced Longhorn - Aegomorphus modestus - BugGuide.Net It appears there are some variations in the wing patterns. The larvae of most long horned beetles are wood borers. Some species are very destructive to trees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Identify this bug [ 6 Answers ]

/Users/whidbeychef/Desktop/IMG_0566.JPG Please identify this bug. Found in Neveda county California at 7pm. Thank you /Users/whidbeychef/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2008/Nov 24, 2008/IMG_0566.JPG

I need to identify this dog, I want one! [ 11 Answers ]

Okay so there's this dog in the following video. I would like to know what kind of dog it is: <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3l7LbSMA-AA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed...

Can you identify [ 1 Answers ]

There was a picture in my home growing up and I'm trying to find a print. I do not know the title or Artist name. It is an old piece my Mother had, so I would date it prior to 1940's. IT is a painting of an old Brass bed with a girl Asleep who has dark hair. There is a large dog at the side, or...

View more questions Search