Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHAHRAZAD Posts: 32, Reputation: 2
    -

Aug 14, 2006, 03:15 AM
    Hello, I am canadian and I would like to say do not be hard on people with accents I call my internet company here in canada and I have the same problem with people who their first language is english, some they do not fix your problem or leave you on hold or say they going to call back to check on something to fix the problem and never call and all these tech support are canadian, I think this is kind of racism to go off more on the person who has an accent because some people just when they hear somebody with an accent they just feel irritated and that is why they go off easily on them, and these people do not take north americans jobs they are in the third world and the big companies exploit them to make more money and pay them practically nothing. My phone line company the people who answer most of them are indians when I have a problem a guy with an accent answer the phone just I get more frustrated and I am ashamed of that (though he was nice and fixed my problem and he was very calm in spite me sounding so mad) and I think this the problem and I am trying to change that and I will.and I guess every body should acknowledge that and try to be an understanding human beings, bad services could be found every where but do not blame it on the accent
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Needkarma,

There may be a website that is dedicated to australians being rude to indian tech support but what are you insinuating here?

We are more racist than other countries.

Don't put us in that boat.

I'm sure we could find plenty of example out there of canadians racisit attitudes as well.

Sorry, little off topic but I don't think it was necessary to bring somehting like that up with the initial post!

Australia is a very multi cultural country and the MAJORITY of us are very accepting people and love our multi culturalism.

We just hate being pestered by sales people on the phone!
    Amythest Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Aug 19, 2006, 07:33 PM
    I think it is funny ( funny strange or sad not funny haha), how so many people will be racist about a race, and then claim it's because they are all racist. The thing is, when people call and are already frustrated, and then it is either hard to understand or your problme is getting fixed, it just begets more anger. True some Americans are racist, just like some europeans, austrailians, middle easterns etc are racist. Anytime you assume that all of any type of culture are one way, and you lump people into groups you risk being prejudice or rascist.
    Rascist is thinking you are above a certain group/race.
    Prejudice is thiniking certain untrue things are true based on stereotypes or other common misleading facts or assumptions.
    And other times
    For this indian guy... really it has nothing to do with your accent or that your indian, someitmes people are just rude regardless where you are from.
    I have had Indian people be incredibly rude to me, especially males do I assume all indians are racist or all indian males are sexiest pigs no.
    But if however this guy has only dealt with stupid ignorant americans then maybe that is why he would come to that conclusion. Anyway I hope this guy can realize that by him being racist too won't fix any of the problems.

That should have been problem is not getting fixed...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 19, 2006, 07:53 PM
    I feel sorry for any one who has a job where they have to put up with all kinds of attitudes and rudeness and anger. Not a good work environment. Sounds like the job I had for 30 years, no wonder I don't like anybody.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 20, 2006, 09:11 PM
    貴社ますますご盛栄のこととお喜び申し上げます。平素は格別のお引き立てをいただき、厚く御礼申し上げます 。

In japanese the statement means hello for the month of aug and how are you and how much you are appreciated... If all business could run this polite. Then threads like this one would not be necessary...
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 22, 2006, 01:07 AM
    There are racists in every country-true. But there are more racists in some countries than in others.
    Amythest Posts: 98, Reputation: 6

Aug 23, 2006, 03:48 PM
    That's because some countries are bigger than other countries... so yea big countries like europe and america and asia will proabbly have more racist then smaller countries because of the numbers invovled... though really if you mean percentile. I unno maybe the middle east is just trainded to hate us?? So they put them in crummy jobs where people are gone say stupid crap to prove to them that americans are stupid and we all deserve o die?? **goes conspiracy theory**
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Aug 30, 2006, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amythest
    thats because some countries are bigger than other countries...so yea big countries like europe and america adn asia will proabbly have more racist then smaller countires because of the numbers invovled...though really if you mean percentile. i unno maybe the middle east is just trainded to hate us??? so they put them in crummy jobs where ppl are gone say stupid crap to prove to them that americans are stupid and we all deserve o die???? **goes conspiracy theory**

You are 100% correct. People are trained to hate. Sadly the training begins in the home where the parents pass on their negative opinions to their children who eventually pass it on to theirs. A country's historically -influenced culture determines its type and amount of racism.

BTW
    Europe and Asia are continents.
    [email protected] Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Sep 7, 2006, 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Amythest
    I think it is funny ( funny strange or sad not funny haha), how so many people will be racist about a race, and then claim it's because they are all racist. The thing is, when people call and are already frustrated, and then it is either hard to understand or your problme is getting fixed, it just begets more anger. True some Americans are racist, just like some europeans, austrailians, middle easterns etc are racist. anytime you asume that all of any type of culture are one way, and you lump people into groups you risk being prejudice or rascist.
    rascist is thinking you are above a certain group/race.
    prejudice is thiniking certain untrue things are true based on stereotypes or other common misleading facts or assumptions.
    and other times
    for this indian guy....really it has nothing to do with your accent or that yoru indian, someitmes people are just rude regardless where you are from.
    i have had Indian people be incredibly rude to me, especially males do I assume all indians are racist or all indian males are sexiest pigs no.
    but if however this guy has only dealt with stupid ignorant americans then maybe that is why he would come to that conclusion. anyways I hope this guy can realize that by him being racist too won't fix any of the problems.

that should have been problem is not getting fixed...
    QUOTE]

All right,
    I think Im through with this one ,probably because Im tired of receiving e-mail alerts because of this thread every time I open my mailbox,and strange enough no Indian has commented on this post!

First and foremost I want apologize if I have hurt someone by posting this thread.Im not the kind of person who likes to harbour feelings of hatred regarding a particular caste.
    My intention of posting was to throw light on the fact - that there are such people , and this is exactly the kind of language they use -and it is not a once in a blue moon kind of situation.So much so that the tech support executive literally feels threatened -emotionally black-mailed!
    Every single thing mentioned in this post is nothing but the truth.I haven't lied about anything so how can someone even point a finger at me ?

And what's this whole thing about me sounding racist ?Even if I did sound like a racist t then I just have one simple question - Who sowed that seed of racism in my mind ? - It is people who represented your country right ? People from your country right !- because I was not always like this ,What caused to me to get so bitter -so anti american ?

Anyway I don't want to comment more on this issue. Because every time those painful memories flash in my mind ,it brings nothing but tears to my eyes.I have experienced female tech support executives in India literally crying on certain calls .Either ways in my opinion its not a good idea to have outsourced -tech support centres ,especially in India.

True there are racists in every country , but no one is taught to be a racist.
    I personally don't think so.
    If people in the Middle East harbour feelings of hatred for americans - then it is because of America's government policies in Iraq and particularly in the few arab countries, that have fuelled more hatred.Of those thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians who die almost every day in those suicide bombings -that has angered them -Its not only innocent Iraqis, but so many innocent americans who have become victims -you remember Daniel Pearl right ?

Anyway ,I don't want to stretch the topic more-
    No more hard feelings
    Take care
    LUNAGODESS, -thank you for your advice also fred J, and couple of others.
    Amethyst - I was just kidding -that last comment was a joke , nothing serious,
    (hopefully this is my last post )
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2006, 05:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    And whats this whole thing about me sounding racist ?Even if I did sound like a racist t then I just have one simple question - Who sowed that seed of racism in my mind ? - It is people who represented your country right ? People from your country right !- because I was not always like this ,What caused to me to get so bitter -so anti american ?
    Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities

Your original note condemned Americans, because of the actions of a few. That is racist. If you had simply wrote about the boors who treated you poorly, that would have been different. But you didn't. You condemn a whole country because of the actions of a few.

True there are racists in every country , but no one is taught to be a racist.
    I personally dont think so.
    If people in the Middle East harbour feelings of hatred for americans - then it is because of America's government policies in Iraq and particularly in the few arab countries, that have fuelled more hatred.Of those thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians who die almost every day in those suicide bombings -that has angered them -Its not only innocent Iraqis, but so many innocent americans who have become victims -you remember Daniel Pearl right ?
    I totally disagree. There is a great song from the play South Pacific; "You have to be carefully taught". If you've ever looked at young children playing in a racially mixed environment you can see that they aren't racist. Its taught to them later on.

I am not a supporter of my country's policies in Iraq, but I suggest you look at WHO is doing most of the killing of Iraqi civilians! Who is setting off the suicide bombs! Its not Americans!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2006, 06:10 AM
    True there are racists in every country , but no one is taught to be a racist. I personally dont think so.
    Ok, let's explore that. If hate and racism isn't a learned behaviour then are you suggesting that people are born that way? Have you ever seen 4 and 5 year olds playing in a park with other kids? They don't care what colour skin their playmate has. They don't even care if they speak the same language.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2006, 06:44 AM
    I love your last sentence Scott... 100% spot on! Although I wouldn't say I'm not a supporter of your countries policies as I think they didn't have a wide range of choices really! So I SUPPORT them :)

And NK I'm with you also, of course people are taught, no one is born racist.
    [email protected] Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Sep 7, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities

Your original note condemned Americans, because of the actions of a few. That is racist. If you had simply wrote about the boors who treated you poorly, that would have been different. But you didn't. You condemn a whole country because of the actions of a few.

I totally disagree. There is a great song from the play South Pacific; "You have to be carefully taught". If you've ever looked at young children playing in a racially mixed environment you can see that they aren't racist. Its taught to them later on.

I am not a supporter of my country's policies in Iraq, but I suggest you look at WHO is doing most of the killing of Iraqi civilians! Who is setting off the suicide bombs! Its not Americans!
    I still condemn it, because I have every reason to do so.And you really did not understand my point -
    "no one is born a racist , no one is taught to be racist - if people become racist it is because of the reality they see,the experiences they go through,
    So many Indians have become victims of racial profiling -like those 12 innocent passengers who were detained on board a Dutch flight because they were suspected to be terrorists - and what was their fault ?-
    they were brownish in skin colour - do you understand Mr. ScottGem (Sir)

Right from the start I had a valid point and I still do so.
    And Mr. ScottGem -why are Iraqi civilians being targetted ?-because of Americas presence in Iraq, - do you understand that?
    what if you faced a similar situation in America ,where you had civilians being killed everyday in suicide bombings ? -Yes ,you have any answer for that-

Dont you point a finger at me,.To me you seem like those persons with typical mindsets - As someone has rightly said "Never cry in front of a person wo doesn't value your tears , or who doent understand your wounds" -

Is there anyway I can stop getting e-mail alerts - because Im sick & tired of this thing -

Sep 7, 2006, 09:06 AM
    I still condemn it, because I have every reason to do so.And you really did not understand my point -
    "no one is born a racist , no one is taught to be racist - if people become racist it is because of the reality they see,the experiences they go through,
    So many Indians have become victims of racial profiling -like those 12 innocent passengers who were detained on board a Dutch flight because they were suspected to be terrorists - and what was their fault ?-
    they were brownish in skin colour - do you understand Mr. ScottGem (Sir)

Right from the start I had a valid point and I still do so.
    And Mr. ScottGem -why are Iraqi civilians being targetted ?-because of Americas presence in Iraq, - do you understand that?
    what if you faced a similar situation in America ,where you had civilians being killed everyday in suicide bombings ? -Yes ,you have any answer for that-

Dont you point a finger at me,.To me you seem like those persons with typical mindsets - As someone has rightly said "Never cry in front of a person wo doesnt value your tears , or who doent understand your wounds" -

Is there anyway I can stop getting e-mail alerts - because Im sick & tired of this thing -
    No, you mistated your point. Yes we agree that no one is born a racist but we disagree that they aren't taught racism. Whether its taught to them by other racists, or they learn because of experiences to fear certain groups, its still taught.

What about the passengers on that Dutch airline? If they were racially profiled, who's to blame? True, they aren't to blame, but the blame should be placed on the people who have committed the acts of terrorism. If people are being profilled its because they fit the profile of those who have committed these crimes. The blame goes to them, not the people who are trying to protect the innocent.

Ok, so your logic is that its OK for the Iraqi insurgents to kill their fellow citizens because the US freed their country from the oppressive regime that was in power? That actually makes sense to you? Sure doesn't make sense to me. My answer to that is for the duly constituted government to go after the murderers using whatever help they need.

I will point my finger wherever it needs pointing. When I see people who post things I can refute with facts and logic, I will do so. The facts here are that you expressed some racist sentiments by condemning all Americans for the acts of a few. And your defense of those statements shows a bias that ignores the salient facts and defies logical thinking.

P.S. just unsubscribe to the thread.
    -

Sep 7, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Please all americans you should know what is going on on the world and why are you so hated( for documented reasons) u have to educated and acknowlege what is going on and stop being ignorant to the fact that this is going on and you are the one who is going to change your government from causing pain and killing all aver the world and for adityak post, that was his experience may be it was generaized and it is not fair to the none racist but let me give and example if a kid from iraq his mom and dad were killed by an american bomb you think his hatred to americans has not merits? U all should be ashamed that some americans are racist and should condemn that istead of going off on him, be educated and know why americans are hated to change that, if americans are educated they would refuse to give there votes to presedents cause killing and poverty around the world (for oil and whatnot) because this pain will come back here eventually and it did(9/11) , I do not think you can call someone a racist with out bad experience and he had one but we all can change that by just at least acknowlege that and the change will come eventually.

Sep 8, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHRAZAD
    please all americans u should know what is going on on the world and why r u so hated( for documented reasons) .
    You are making assumptions here. I, for one, do realize that were are often hated in other parts of the world. I, for one, do realize that, while we try to help others, we often do it with an arrogant, overbearing attitude. And, of course, the child who's parent is killed by an american bomb is going to hate americans. But what about the child whose parent is killed by a suicide bomb from his own people? Who should that child hate?

The Arab world needs to wake up to the fact that terrorism is not the answer. That indiscriminate killing just gives rise to more. Committing such acts will usually strengthen the resolve of the victims to stand against the terrorists. The answer is NOT to hate. The answer is to look at motives and try to work towards peace!

BTW I did not vote for this president nor do I agree with or approve of his actions, but you are putting cause and effect in reverse. Afghanistan and Iraq (at least partially) are the result of 9/11, not the cause of it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 8, 2006, 08:04 AM
    Instead of hating Americans you should be trying to stop extremist from blowing people up and allowing them to hide among you ,then maybe those bombs won't be aimed in your direction. If they had no where to hide and be protected then innocent people would have nothing to fear.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Sep 8, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Before the Americans were involved in Iraq, they were killing each other, look at what Sadamm did to his people. Men in power will always cause war, because they want more power. It happens in every country. To blame the Americans for death and fighting throughout the world is so ludicrous. No one country is to blame if they are at war.
    I have some wonderful friends that are from India. They are a peaceful people, if you were to ask them about me, they would say the same. It is too bad big companies have opened offices in India, but believe me, if the Indians did not want them to do it, they wouldn't. You will only be exploited if you allow it.

It saddens me that a whole race is judged by a select few and everyone is looking for someone else to blame. So, sir, you took a job that you are not tough enough skinned to work at. Accept that, and realize when someone has a problem, it is frustrating to begin with and when you are having a hard time communicating with each other it makes it worse. I am not blaming you, there are many people who love to argue and love to get those grumpy people calling so they have an excuse to be grumpy back.:) Let them have those jobs. Surely there are many jobs in India that you would be paid more money at and be happier at, because the big businesses are only exploiting the Indians with their companies there anyway. If the American companies are hated so much there you need to boycot them and they would leave if they had no workers. Right? I do know for a fact there have been lay offs of American workers because they have taken their offices to India. I have 2 friends that worked for a health care provider in the office and they closed it here and all billing is done from India. The Americans would be glad to have their jobs back. Do that for us, will you? Thank you and I truly wish you the best of luck with your new venture. I would never be able to work as you did.
    -

Sep 8, 2006, 12:12 PM
    o( blame the Americans for death and fighting throughout the world is so ludicrous) how could you say that? can you imagine some one come to your house and cause you pain by the premise they want to help u? Do you see americans help countries with dictators and cause havoc if they do not have oil or some kind of their benefit? Come on the issue is much bigger that bad attitude on the phone, like I said if you just admit the problem and accept why is happening is happening instead of just arguing for the sake of arguing and just being righteous death on any sides is going to stop, I think americans think the world is just americ, they do not know how their government operate and after 9/11 they start to have some ideas but denial will not solve any thing and for you to say america is not to blame this the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, america is the bigget and most powerful country in the world and you want to know how they act in other countries you should just stop denying that the american policy around the world is biggest terrororist and the biggest bully, I can not talk too much here but there is a documentary you should all watch you might get the right pic I am not sure about the name but I think it is called (marshal war of usa) I am not sure I do not think it is the right name but I will get the name for you in the next 5 hours but just watch documntary movies from other countries instead of just thinking the world is only america and stop being self righteous, and I want to add something for the example I gave about the kid who will hate americans who caused his mom and dad death you have to go to the root of the problem istead of taking to problem from the middle and go from their it is like if someone punshes you and if punsh back you are to blame this exactlly how I see americans handle terorr they should know that they started the terror all those poor countries have no means in the beginning to come here to cause problems but the oil and what not made american government economic colonizatin for their own advantage, and for the bad attitude on the phone and some of them being racist it is just the tip of the ice burg and the others who clame they are not racist sure they answers as narrow as a racist
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Sep 8, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Are you trying to tell me that Sadamm did not kill any of his people? Are you trying to tell me that people in the "oil" countries are not constantly throwing rocks and grenades at each other? Constantly blowing up cars and busses and buildings with their own people in them? I am not saying America should or should not be there. I think ALL heads of government are too powerful NOT just the Americans. Look at the oil countries, the people are so poor and yet the heads of the gov't live beyond kings. What I said was, there is fighting everywhere all of the time whether the Americans are involved or not. Read all of my post and read the words, do not put words where they are not. I am not calling you a racist nor am I one. I am saying a fact, there has been war before America was even discovered and there will be war after. If America is so bad, why do so many foreigners want to live here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Culture traits of americans [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone know what a culture trait is? What are some culture traits of americans?

Skin Lightening for African Americans! [ 25 Answers ]

Hello, I've been checking out the forums on skin whitening for african americans and I'm confused and really need help. I'm a very dark person due to being in the sun all day I'd like lighten up at least 3-4 shades. If anyone can assist me on some good information, or products to try it would be...

1930 Census and Native Americans [ 1 Answers ]

How was the amount of Native American blood deceided on in the 1930 census?

View more questions Search