Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jezickca87 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Sexual harassment on job!
    My name is jessica, I am a cashier for {store name removed}. I recently told my store manager about an incident that occurred last weekend with another store manager. He bumped in to me twice and touched the lower region of my body (butt) he claims it to be accidental. But he has asked me and acted inappropriately before this incident . I met with a representative from HR and during the conversation she said that the manager did not receive all "mandatory" managerial training regarding the sexual harassment portion of training. I asked the HR rep. "why not" and was told that "time" was the reason he did not receive all the proper training.

Other inappropriate things asked and done by this manager

I was asked by the manager if I had a boyfriend or children?

Asked me if I drank twice. And continued to say that his father was an alcoholic ( when I was being interviewed I told the manager who interviewed me I did not drink for my own personal reasons)

Showed me a picture of his wife and "jokingly" said she was "bi"

My mother showed up in the store and asked me how old she was? And stated that he found her attractive

{store name removed} has a strict policy for ID checks for the sale of alcohol. During this holiday season I was to wear a "30 or older pin" the manager physically put the pin on me and the manager said "i don't want you to think im trying to make a move" I felt uncomfortable and watched as he proceeded to hand the pin to the other cashiers at there register.

Is the company responsible for his inappropriate behavior because he did not receive all the "mandatory" training regarding sexual harassment?

Thank you for reading.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jezickca87 View Post
    my name is jessica, i am a cashier for {store name removed}. i recently told my store manager about an incident that occurred last weekend with another store manager. He bumped in to me twice and touched the lower region of my body (butt) he claims it to be accidental. but he has asked me and acted inappropriately before this incident . i met with a representative from HR and during the conversation she said that the manager did not receive all "mandatory" managerial training regarding the sexual harassment portion of training. i asked the HR rep. "why not" and was told that "time" was the reason he did not receive all the proper training.

other inappropriate things asked and done by this manager

i was asked by the manager if i had a boyfriend or children?

asked me if i drank twice. and continued to say that his father was an alcoholic ( when i was being interviewed i told the manager who interviewed me i did not drink for my own personal reasons)

showed me a picture of his wife and "jokingly" said she was "bi"

my mother showed up in the store and asked me how old she was? and stated that he found her attractive

{store name removed} has a strict policy for ID checks for the sale of alcohol. during this holiday season i was to wear a "30 or older pin" the manager physically put the pin on me and the manager said "i don't want you to think im trying to make a move" i felt uncomfortable and watched as he proceeded to hand the pin to the other cashiers at there register.

is the company responsible for his inappropriate behavior because he did not receive all the "mandatory" training regarding sexual harassment?

thank you for reading.

I don't think all of this is sexual harassment - inappropriate perhaps, including the comments about your mother and the idle converation about your father - but, yes, the company is responsible for sexual harassment by its employees whether they did or did not receive training.

I also think it is foolish on your part to post the company's name - hope that no other employees or members of management are reading this.

You posted this same question 3 times on 3 different boards - I think it's basically a legal question but that is up to the moderators.

Jan 1, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't think all of this is sexual harrassment - inappropriate perhaps, including the comments about your mother and the idle converation about your father - but, yes, the company is responsible for sexual harrassment by its employees whether they did or did not receive training.
    But is "time" a valid excuse for him not receiving "mandatory" training? I'm a little confused with the "father" part of your statement.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 02:28 PM
    <threads merged>
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 02:29 PM
    but is "time" a valid excuse for him not receiving "mandatory" training? im a lil confused with the "father" part of your statement.

Sorry, the idle converation about HIS father, the alcoholic, was perhaps inappropriate but not sexual harassment.

It doesn't matter whether he did or did not receive training; it doesn't matter why he did or didn't. The company is responsible for harassment whether the employee is trained.

The company can make all the excuses it cares to make - if you charge the company with sexual harassment the training or lack thereof does not matter. If he had been trained up to his eyeballs and said or did something inappropriate, they are still responsible for his behavior, particularly if you reported it and management did nothing.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 02:32 PM

By now I would think they would have had plenty of time to give him the manual or whatever. So I would go and question them why haven't they given it to him yet and when will they. It sounds like they may just be covering for him. As Judy said so far he is out of line but nothing really to consider sexual harassment (at least that can be proven). Maybe watch and see if he is treating any of the other employees like this. If there are others it might be better to go to HR or higher up if he keeps it up.

Jan 1, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    By now I would think they would have had plenty of time to give him the manual or whatever. So I would go and question them why haven't they given it to him yet and when will they. It sounds like they may just be covering for him. As Judy said so far he is out of line but nothing really to consider sexual harassment (at least that can be proven). Maybe watch and see if he is treating any of the other employees like this. If there are others it might be better to go to HR or higher up if he keeps it up.
    There is a manual that goes into the whole 0 tolerance policy but, why would HR tell me that the manger has to receive"mandatory" training and then tell me he did not? I think of it like this I have be fully trained for my job. Why is the manager not fully trained? I mean what does time have to do with not being trained on all company policy upon being hired?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 02:50 PM

That is what I meant by covering up for him.
    Making an excuse for him so that you would back off thinking that it isn't his fault he didn't have the training. It is just in hopes you back off. Also they may be saying he didn't get the training to make it look like they are not responsible for his actions.
    That is why I said I would pursue them about his training.
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 03:31 PM
    there is a manual that goes into the whole 0 tolerance policy but, why would HR tell me that the manger has to receive"mandatory" training and then tell me he did not? i think of it like this i have be fully trained for my job. why is the manager not fully trained? i mean what does time have to do with not being trained on all company policy upon being hired?

To quote myself: "The company can make all the excuses it cares to make." No one here knows why anybody does what they do.

I don't think you're reading what has been posted - it doesn't matter if he was trained or not trained; it doesn't matter why. If you were harassed, none of this matters EXCEPT for the harassment. If you were not legally harassed, none of this matters.

As far as why management doesn't have to be fully trained, that is not part of your complaint of sexual harassment and can only be answered by members of management of the company. No one here knows why he wasn't adequately trained.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jan 1, 2009, 06:06 PM
    my name is jessica, i am a cashier for {store name removed}. i recently told my store manager about an incident that occurred last weekend with another store manager. He bumped in to me twice and touched the lower region of my body (butt) he claims it to be accidental. but he has asked me and acted inappropriately before this incident . i met with a representative from HR and during the conversation she said that the manager did not receive all "mandatory" managerial training regarding the sexual harassment portion of training. i asked the HR rep. "why not" and was told that "time" was the reason he did not receive all the proper training.

other inappropriate things asked and done by this manager

i was asked by the manager if i had a boyfriend or children?

asked me if i drank twice. and continued to say that his father was an alcoholic ( when i was being interviewed i told the manager who interviewed me i did not drink for my own personal reasons)

showed me a picture of his wife and "jokingly" said she was "bi"

my mother showed up in the store and asked me how old she was? and stated that he found her attractive

{store name removed} has a strict policy for ID checks for the sale of alcohol. during this holiday season i was to wear a "30 or older pin" the manager physically put the pin on me and the manager said "i don't want you to think im trying to make a move" i felt uncomfortable and watched as he proceeded to hand the pin to the other cashiers at there register.

is the company responsible for his inappropriate behavior because he did not receive all the "mandatory" training regarding sexual harassment?

thank you for reading.
    Sounds like your manager is confused and needs to be set straight, no not through in jail or beaten up. Just tell his higher up and get them to know you feel uncomfortable and that this guy needs to be told what is appropriate, and inappropriate.

He may be attracted to you, and thus making him nervous, and therefor foolish. But that is no reason to be have like that.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2009, 06:06 PM

Did you just talk to HR or file a complaint? Until you file a formal complaint the company is not obligated to take any action. The HR person might promise to talk to the manager or make sure he's immediately scheduled for training. But once you file the complaint they have to act.

Did you, at anytime, tell the manager he was making you feel uncomfortable? You do have to let him know he's being inapprpriate, Silence on your part could be construed as acceptance.

You also should keep a detailed log of his actions.

Jan 1, 2009, 06:08 PM

Thank you guys for reading my post. I'll just wait and see what HR intends to do with the matter. Thanks again.

Jan 1, 2009, 06:09 PM
    I filed a complaint and HR is handling it. So I'm just wait it out and see what happens
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

Jan 1, 2009, 06:18 PM
    i filed a complaint and HR is handling it. so im just wait it out and see what happens
    If they don't do anything keep pressing the matter. You have to work and they should make it a safe and comfortable place to do what you are expected to do. Take care .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why should laws against sexual harassment be strengthened? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a thesis on sexual harassment and I'm struggling, why should laws against sexual harassment be strengthened and reinforced?

Sexual harassment [ 11 Answers ]

I was recently involved in a sexual harassment case. Both partys involved are close to me. The girl and guy names I will be choosing to use will be changed to protect them. Heather= Girl Cary= Guy I was just relieved on my break and left Heather talking to Cary. I was gone for a good half...

Sexual harassment [ 5 Answers ]

Well, I don't know how to open this so I'm just going to give you the facts... I'm in Tennessee. I'm employed by a restaurant as a server. I'm 19, a college student, and a male. I've been at this restaurant for about seven months and several time, in the past few months, I feel that I've...

Can a stripper claim sexual harassment? [ 12 Answers ]

I'm curious if you have a profession that is based on a certain assumption, do you forfeit your right to some legal liability? In this case, can a stripper sue someone for sexually harassing them? I mean, isn't their job description to be sexually harassed?

View more questions Search