Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BAMF Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2009, 10:59 AM
    QUOTE meaning.
    “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” —Marie Curie

How does this relate to an issue of concern to you. I'm thinking its about ignorance but not sure what to say. :\
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jan 1, 2009, 01:10 PM

BAMF - yes, I agree that the author of this quote is encouraging the reader to not be ignorant.

I'm not certain from what context the writer is making this statement from (whether she was thinking of a particular moment in her own life where recognizing her fear of what she did not understand was something to overcome) or whether it is a general observation of life.

I'd have to agree with the author but again, I'm not certain I could say I understood for certain to what extent the author would apply her statement. For example, some people would be afraid at the very thought of doing drugs (heroin, LSD, etc.). A very different person would say, try it, why are you so afraid? I know that's a juvenile example, but I hope you understand my point.

My argument is that some things are to be rightly feared, no matter how well I may or may not understand them. However, I think that our tendency as human beings is to be afraid of things that we ought to really understand, and in that case, fear is not our ally but our enemy. For example, I may be afraid to love others because I was hurt once in my life before. If my fear of being hurt causes me to be unloving to others and condemning of people, then I think I have to do business with that. My fear may be a very real issue for me but to allow it to dictate the course of my life would be foolish, I think.

There are many other important issues that would be relevant to this discussion but these are just a quick stab at it.

What are your thoughts regarding the quote from Curie?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of Quote! [ 4 Answers ]

One way to open your eyes to unnoticed beauty is to ask yourself, ‘What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew I would never see it again?’” —Rachel Carson Just say how you feel about this quote. How does this relate to an issue of concern to you? Pleasee and Thank you. :]

Meaning of Macbeth Quote [ 1 Answers ]

In Scene 2, Macbeth describes his surroundings by saying. "Light thickens, and the crow/ Makes wing to th' rooky wood." How can these remarks also be seen as a metaphorical commentary on the events of the play?

Quote Meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

What does this quote mean by Abraham Lincoln? " Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"

Quote this job. [ 9 Answers ]

I had a local electrician come in a do some work for me that entailed the following. Install two overhead lights to existing lightswitch. Crawl space above ceiling readibly accessible. This was probably the most difficult thing I asked them to do. Wired to existing wiring. Install two...

A quote from my mom [ 22 Answers ]

My mom always says... "For some women any guy is better then no guy at all." After reading some of the posts in the relationship section I thought that this might be a good discussion starter. What does everyone think? Is my mom right?:cool:

View more questions Search