Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gg88yjj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2009, 09:49 AM
    Caps or Dentures?
    I am a 60 year old female who has had dental problems, crowns, root canal therapy, etc. all of my life. My dentist told me at my last visit that I need 4 crowns replaced. I'm really tired of spending this much money, which by the way I don't have, and I am considering dentures.
    What would you recommend? Dentistry is so expensive and I do go for a check up every 6 months.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2009, 10:00 AM

Depends on how many teeth you still have. My understanding is that the upper plate is much easier to make and keep in versus the lower plate never really fits properly.

How many upper teeth are still there? For the cost of the 4 caps you could have an upper plate made. There are drawbacks though to this as you just can't change your mind and have the teeth put back in. We are about the same age and I have considered what you are considering and if I lose any more upper teeth I probably will have a plate made. I had periodontal disease and had the gums "scraped" and this has left me with receding gums. Wonderful fun. Every so many years I have to have the roots that are exposed covered up again and that is not cheap to do. My teeth have shifted around and now I have a gap between my 2 front upper teeth. Swell. Never had that before. When things do get worse, I will get a plate.

This is going to be a personal decision on your part. Dentures are something that you have to get used to eating food with and I understand from other people I've talked with who have them, it was not a fun experience.

What was the reason your dentist said your crowns needed replaced? How old are they?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2009, 03:41 PM

You want to be sure you have good bone to support a denture. Remember that once you loose teeth you immediately loose the bone that supports a denture which, as time goes on, will make it more difficult to wear a denture.

If the dentist wants to replace your crowns due to cavities then by all means replace the crowns as long as the bone levels are still good around the teeth.

It's difficult to give you any kind of input I'd need to see photos and x-rays so I hope this helps.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upper dentures [ 1 Answers ]

Will be needing upper dentures any advice for me? I am so scared but I really need to do it.I am scared they will look too big like horse teeth I seen that before.

Lower dentures [ 1 Answers ]

I am on the way to getting upper and lower dentures. Can I have a lower denture made that will allow me to keep my 4 front teeth and replace all the others? My Eye teeth are crooked but the fronts are nice. Need advice Snowy

New upper dentures [ 1 Answers ]

New upper denture wearer. The roof of my mouth is very, very painful. Have had two adjustments. What can I do?

Dentures [ 4 Answers ]

I have dentures and have had them for about 4 years. I keep hearing that if they don't fit right it could be bad for my health. I do glue mine in but I don't really think that they don't fit. Is gluing them in all the time a bad thing to be doing?

Need dentures? [ 0 Answers ]

I am just starting with a new dentist after about 7 years of not seeing one. I have always had bad teeth and dental problems. The situation now is - On the top, I have 3 missing teeth, one tooth half-missing (fillings fell out and it is barely there), three loose teeth due to possible gum...

View more questions Search