Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steveg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2006, 10:24 PM
    Bankruptcy and life insurance
    I know it is a weird combo. But if you claim corporate bankruptcy and you die can they go after your personal estate? If you have signed a personal guaranty? I heard they have to leave you(if not deceased) or your estate your house and a vehicle(in fla) is this true? Last question. Can they take your life insurance from your family when you die?
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jul 18, 2006, 11:22 PM
    I am not a lawyer but I am under the impression that one of the main point or perks to having a corporation is so if the corporation goes down it doesn't take anyone with it. That's how it is here in Canada. A corporation is on it's own and the owners are untouchable. The same would go for anyone left living after you die. The corporation has things repoted, seized, goes bankrupt, etc. Not personal. I hope this helps.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2006, 06:18 AM
    What aqua said about a corporation is true. However you mentioned signing a personal guaranty. That means that you, personally, have guaranteed the debt you signed for. So they could go after at least some of your assets. However, generally, life insurance proceeds and personal homes are outside the assets liable for such debts.

Haven't you consulted your attorney on this?

Jul 19, 2006, 08:23 AM
    Scottgem and aqua,thanks for the input .I have not as yet contacted a lawyer ,I am just putting it out there in case that avenue has to come about. Never go into the restaurant business under capitalized. It could literally,destroy your well being.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 06:28 PM
    Yes, once you sign a personal guarntee you loose almost all of the benefits you got as protection of personal assets. So if you have a corp it is always best not to do this. Next of course the personal guaranty is only for the specific loans you used it for.

Coporation bankruptcy is a very complicated situation, so I would always use an attorney for any discussion on this

Jul 19, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Thanks,Fr_ chuck,I appreciate the input. Steve G:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Bankruptcy & insurance settlement, inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

I began the process of filing for bankruptcy - saw a lawyer, did the paperwork, paid him. I'm now in the process of doing the education certificate and other requirements. My car was totaled two weeks ago, and the insurance company will be settling for the total loss -- it's not a huge amount,...

Bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I was recently contacted by a collection agency regarding a debt owed to a school. To clarify, this was not a student loan. My bankrupcty was discharged on August 30th 2005. She stated that it was in their file as being discharged on this date. However, she still insisted on...

Life Insurance Trustee [ 0 Answers ]

My brother recently died and left my father as the trustee for his life insurance with his only child as the beneficiary. My father is 72 years old and the child is 15. My father wants me to handle the trust monies for him because of his age, he doesn't want the hassle. There is no will. Is there...

Variable universal life insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking into variable universal life insurance with Pacific Life. What are the problems with this kind of insurance and what are the benefits?

View more questions Search