Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    francis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2003, 08:14 PM
    Effexor xl
    I am pregnant and was taking effexor xl until the beginning of the six week of pregnancy. I really want someone to give me a clear answer, how much damage have I done to my baby? I have searched on the internet and found no evidence of research on humans in this instance, surely there are women somewhere who have been on the drug when they ecame pregnant and have a story to tell.
    caeva Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2004, 08:57 AM
    effexor xl
    I am pregnant and was taking effexor xl until the beginning of the six week of pregnancy.  I really want someone to give me a clear answer, how much damage have I done to my baby? I have searched on the internet and found no evidence of research on humans in this instance, surely there are women somewhere who have been on the drug when they ecame pregnant and have a story to tell.
    caeva Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2004, 08:58 AM
    effexor xl
    I am also taking effexor and hoping to have another baby. Did you receive any replies to your query?
    SarahJ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2005, 09:21 AM
    Effexor XL
    Hi there

I have had two babies in the past two year. With the first one I managed to come off Effexor at 3 months. With the second I couldn't do it and had very long and extensive discussions with all sorts of people in clinical psychiatry about what to do. The bottom line is that because of the lack of definitive evidence about the effects in pregnancy it becomes a matter of playing the risks.

I decided eventually and in total agreement with doctors that there was more risk to the baby if I was not stable than there was risk to the baby of me taking the effexor. So I carried on taking it.

The only thing I did find out was that there had been some studies done showing blood results of newborns of mothers taking Effexor and that the drug was found in their system. However all systems were normal after 5 days when the tests were repeated.

From experience the only difference I noticed between my first and second is that the second one took longer to smile. Whether that is an affect of the effexor or the fact that he is just like his father is hard to know.

So hope this helps. Just try not to worry too much. As I say above - that is in all probability a greater risk to the health and happiness of your baby that taking effexor is.

Good luck

regards

Sarah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adverse effects of Effexor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about some unusual symptoms I have been experiencing since doubling my dose of Effexor from 75mg to 150mg. I have been having severe muscle spasms, everything from my legs to my neck. Sleeping is difficult because I wake up frequently due to the spasms. I have been...

View more questions Search