Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpa_grad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 09:30 PM
    HelpDesk Guy w/ a Master's Degree
    HELP!!
    I'm an IT help desk person who obtained a Masters Degree in Public Administration -within the last 2 years and can't seem to move beyond my dead-end job. I want to get out of the technical field altogether, but feel as is I don't have any viable skills that would lead to a position as a management/program analyst. I've applied for several positions highlighting my project leadership accomplishments and analytical skills, yet no nibbles - not even a thanks but no thanks letter. Each day I feel like I'm trapped in a bad movie waiting for the director to yell "CUT!!!"

I'm willing to accept a jr. position, but fear most employers favor younger candidates.

Any suggestions??
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 03:20 AM

Hi, mpa_grad!

It's not unusual for a person to have to apply to many firms before landing a job. I remember one summer, a long time ago, when I applied to about 36 teaching positions and didn't get a single one. I eventually landed one, but it wasn't during that school year.

I know that looking for a job is almost a full-time job in itself. It takes a lot of work and organization as well as persistence and perseverance.

For those places that you do apply, it's a good idea to call them when you haven't heard anything after say, about a week or a little less, to see if they received your information and to let them know that you're still interested.

When you do have an interview, be sure to send a short, hand-written thank you note. It can make a difference.

The thing is, that you want to stand out from the rest and make yourself indispensable - even at the job that you're doing now.

Network with others to see what's out there. If something comes up, always be gently trying to sell to others what you can do.

You can do this.

You'll get a job eventually. You just have to keep trying and not give up.

I wish for you only the best!

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2009, 05:43 AM

Things are tough right now, people with BS degrees working at fast food because there is nothing else.

People with masters being desk clerks at motels to have a job.

There are often 100 plus applications for any one job opening. Recently here in Atlanta, a new business was opening with about 50 jobs, there was over 1000 appications the first two days.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2009, 06:16 AM
    Hello grad:

I agree with the Padre. Things are tough in the private sector. MBA'S are flipping burgers...

There's only one entity hiring now, and that's the government... I heard Obama has to fill something like 7,000 jobs... And, with the jillions they're about to spend, they're going to need a LOT of people. They're probably looking for people with degrees in public administration and stuff...

Hey, wait a minute... THAT'S the degree YOU got... Did you send 'em a resume??

excon
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jan 6, 2009, 07:49 PM

Applying for a management job with no management on your resume is hard. Focus on small companies as they are more likely to take a chance on a cheaper untested manger. You should start some management certs as well. Itil and pmp are both good ones to put on your resume if you have the time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1-year Master's degree [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, does anyone know of any good 1 year Master programs available in an Ivy League school. I am desperate for some research and analytical experience in any field, preferably in health.

Wanting to take get my master's in history [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking to get my master's in history... currently I'm a teacher with an education degree but my love is history... however I just don't want to teach so I was wondering if anyone knows what all options I would have and is it worth it financially because I could get my master's in...

Master's in Ancient History or Education [ 1 Answers ]

Would like to teach Junior High School to High School History. I have a Bachelor's in Legal Studies, a Bachelor's in Ancient Greek and Latin, and am about to apply for a Master's in Ancient History. My question is should I forego the Master's in Ancient History for one in Education in order to be...

View more questions Search