Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jul 18, 2006, 01:37 PM
    What are we eating?
    Just thought to start this as to not take over magpro's thread on burgurs.

PS... I love how food is in the category of "Arts & Leisure"

I think the hormones in today's foods are horrible. Hormones in the milk, in the meat, in the eggs. What are we doing? Look at a lot of kids now days. Everyone is taller, more physically developed, bigger in general. That's my theory on why we are growing to be the sizes we are. Just a thought.
    wizzkid89 Posts: 243, Reputation: 63

Jul 18, 2006, 01:48 PM
    There might be a correlation between the hormones in food and the growth of kids, but do you think maybe it could be that parents are now more knowlegible on what to feed their growing babies, and that food is more accessible than it had been in years past, and not only that but kids now know what they need to grow. Also the fact that on average there is more food in a person's house now than years back because of places like walmart making it cheaper to buy a variety of foods, and places like costco allowing you to buy in bulk?

Jul 18, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Yes, I agree. Also, the quality of food has changed. Fifty years ago there wasn't fast-food on every block, or instant food everywhere. Heck the junk food is cheaper than the healthy food.

Jul 18, 2006, 02:14 PM
    WOW!! Curlyben... you are quick.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 18, 2006, 02:15 PM
    You snooze you loose ;)
    Darn almost spilled my beer

Jul 18, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Okay... so I was just wondering others opinions about what is going on with what we food we are eating? Is the government actually monitoring this?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 18, 2006, 02:21 PM
    DON'T SPILL THE BEER!! Here I caught it!

There is a mild correlation between steroids and food, but only mild. How about this... Preservatives!!

Learned a lot about this in microbiology. Girls are starting their menses earlier, etc.

So, one has to think more about preservatives in foods rather than steroids, since this steroids are more controlled than the average person knows about. Think about how we live longer now, more kinds of cancers... Preservatives!

Jul 18, 2006, 02:22 PM
    I thought maybe that was more because of the hormones that animals are getting. I never even thought about the preservatives. Scarey.
    Expert

Jul 18, 2006, 02:31 PM
    From what I learned in Microbiology and Anatomy & Physiology, we have to consider preservatives just as much if not more. Hormones and steroids are highly controlled by the FDA, but perservatives are not as much.
    BossMan

Jul 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
    I have noticed over the last few decades that woman have been losing their wonderful curves and becoming more manly in their build. Now this is either due to fashion or the processed, reconstituted, manufactured rubbish that we are so enamored with.
    McD's, KFC, Burger King & TV Dinners have a lot to answer for.
    Are we too blind, stupid or just plain lazy to take any notice of the junk we fill our bodies with ?

At this rate we will become a world of nonsex hermaphrodites, neither one thing nor the other !
    It's time we stop filling our faces with what ever junk is too hand and started paying attention to what is put into our food.

OK I'm as guilty as the next person, but I do free up time to cook from scratch and since the birth of our daughter I have been reading labels very carefully.
    After all I want my little one to have the best possible start in life and that doesn't include artificial chemicals.[/RANT]
    Expert

Jul 18, 2006, 03:02 PM
    Non-sex hermaphrodites. I am going for a run!! I got to keep my curves!!

I still have curves, hubby just told me I do.

Well time to go upstairs. LOL

Jul 18, 2006, 03:37 PM
    I have curves, but I see what you are talking about.

We do need to watch what we are eating. Even healthy choices aren't always natural. The things they sell that is suppose to be better for you are loaded with unhealthy substitutes. Aspartame? Yuck.
    BossMan

Jul 18, 2006, 03:47 PM
    Aspartamwhatthehell well if may taste sweet but sugar isn't spelt like that so I don't want it.

A nice oxymoron is a Healthy Choice TV Dinner.
    Mmmmm microwavable plastic with a five hundred year shelf life that glows in the dark!!
    Expert

Jul 18, 2006, 03:57 PM
    Aspartame is a form of rat poison actually. It is all how it is broken down metabolically.

See this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

It is known to cause brain tumors, lesions and lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes)

That is what most of the people who drink DIET sodas drink.

Hmmmmm. Food for thought.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2006, 08:30 PM
    I guess that is what happens when Corporate giants realize that to control the food supply is to control everything. Run the small farmers out of business and than build giant corporate farms. Next, mass produce everything with a shelf life of six months to twentyfive years. A hostess twinkie has a longer life expectancy than a human! Willie Nelson and others are trying to get your attention, (farm aid) but most people don't care. My pop tarts just popped, got to go! By the way, every two or three weeks my wife tells me another one of her friends has breast cancer... HUMMM!?

Jul 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
    Wow... we really have to watch EVERYTHING that we eat.

I personally find going to the grocery store exausting. For example, have you every tried buying salad dressing (I know it's not good for you)? There is calorie wise, fat free, low fat, regular, etc. I get a headache thinking about it. Yogurt... what a nightmare that is. There I am, me and two of the kids trying to read the labels to see if it contains any artificial sweeteners. That junk is in everything. I am amazed at the amount of this stuff people are consuming, all while trying to save their bodies from a little extra weight. Cancer wouldn't surprise me.

I am just as guilty of eating the junk too. I was eating chips while typing earlier in this thread. I really got to cut the junk out.
    Expert

Jul 19, 2006, 11:06 AM
    As far as local farmers go, I live in a very rural area where just about everyone and their brother are farmers. Our city just opened a local farmers market and it is absolutely the best place I have ever been.

Everything is homegrown or homemade right here in our community.

Jul 19, 2006, 11:22 AM
    I am going to have to check out the local farmer's markets around here. That is a really good idea.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 19, 2006, 12:23 PM
    I vote for real food! When I first met my husband and we were telling a little about each other, I was letting it out delicately that I am a bit fussy about food and I ended up saying, in other words, "I don't eat square fish"... LOL which has now become one of the all-time quotes in our meaningful-only-to-us quote collection used whenever the real mccoy is the only way to go!
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 20, 2006, 06:46 AM
    I agree preservatives are so bad for you, I also think hormones, even if they are controlled shold not be allowed at all. It has to have some effect. I try not to eat anything with preservatives in it. I believe if you eat what is in season you are healthier. My garden, farmers market and my friends gardens are my summer and fall foods.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for several weeks now. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago because she was not eating and would gag every time she did. On the way to vet she threw up a dead animal. It was raw meat, fur and claws. It really made me sick. I think it was a rabbit she had killed. ...

Eating [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have 2 problems, First my mom used to put people food in our two four year old Bichons when they wouldn't eat. She also hand fed them and gave them people food at and away from the dinner table a lot. Recently I have been training them to stop begging and there is no more table food. ...

Eating [ 16 Answers ]

Hi today I went to school and had like some crisps from one of my mates because I was hungry - that was at break - then at lunch I wasn't hungry at all. I haven't eaten since Tuesday night because yesterday I was just not hungry and then at dinner/tea etc time I had pizza but it made me feel sick...

Dog Not Eating [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he is a picky eater, we feed him chicken with veggies and white rice. He is spoiled and given table scraps sometimes. Lately he has refused even the table food and only eats some when he is hand fed, then walks away. However, he has energy and...

Not Eating [ 3 Answers ]

I got my dog recentlyfrom a firend who can't keep him anymore and its said its half shitzou and half something else but not sure. When I first got it it ate everything we fed it human food dog food. But yesturday the ENTIRE day he ate absolutely NOTHING at all! Now I hear her stomach growling and...

View more questions Search