Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Cassie, I don't think they are trying to kill us off per se, I just think they are much more concerned about what goes in the food for their children and themselves than they are about the masses food. The bottom line is the dollar so adding extendters and presevatives just makes sense to them. Every restaurant you eat in it is the same trash from the same corporate farm. The only way to get really true food is to grow your own or buy from a farmers market.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 20, 2006, 09:09 AM
    One of the things I am sooo looking forward to in retirement is a big organic garden!! We are making plans and slowly setting up some of our land for it -- just got our well last week too YIPPEEE!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Ahha this is where you guys hang out and talking about food no less. Let you in on a little secret-Stay away from anything that's mass produced and you have to stand in line for. (LIKE I DON"T) Fruit and veggies is what I'm limited to for now as I have to slowly loose 80 lbs. As much as I love brisquets and ribs its tough, but I do love veggies raw, cooked, or arrested
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
    You arrest your veggies? :confused:

If they are arrested they are probably dirty, so you may want to wash them first.:cool:
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Naw you wash 'em down with kool-aid after you eat 'em
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 20, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Any particular flavor of Kool-aid? I like Cherry myself.
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jul 20, 2006, 07:35 PM
    This thread has given me an idea for a bit of investigating...

Because of the way our (UK) government interprets EEC rules over here, we have lost one mighty load of small slaughter-houses and abattoirs which logically means there must be just a few big ones (the bit I intend to investigate).

Over the last few Christmasses, I have noticed that if I try to roast potatoes and parsnips in the tray with my Leg of Pork joint - they turn out BOILED!

Last "crimbo" I asked one of the butchers on the local market if he knew where I could get fresh meat that was NOT pumped full of water (mixed with protein powder made from rendered down skins etc )

His sharp reply was that we got what he got. I didn't take it further but it did set me thinking. If the slaughtering is done centrally - is all meat pumped up the same. I have even heard the excuse that they pump it full of water for our convenience because meat is so lean these days in needs moiturising. Well thanks a bunch Mr Supermarket man - but if my meat needs moisurising - I'll do it myself thank you - the water out of my tap is cheaper than yours!!

p.s. I think that the white gunge we now find in the bottom of our roasting trays with the water is that protein - and I recently bought some frozen Cod which I baked in the oven - Hey presto - there's that white gunge again - in fish?? - never seen it in my life before and I'm an ex-fisherman and live in a fishing port!

Pps : How many people in the UK realise that their fresh, baked on the premises, supermaket bread is made from a bread mix made by 5 or 6 flour producers spread about the country. The only difference between Asda's, Sainsbury's Tesco etc - is the amount of water the bread dept. operators (I refuse to call them "bakers") add to the mix.

So what is it like in other countries?? - this thread certainly seems to cover it. :)
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2006, 08:48 PM
    http://www.newrules.org/agri/banning.html

Check out this site. Seems like everyone is getting tired of eating trash! If these corporations take over the food processing, we will never have good fresh food. Just more of the same bland crap!
    The thing is, nearly everyone can grow a garden. Even if it is a few tomatoes, peppers and such. The way the irradiate veggies, we are getting dead food. Yes, much of the "fresh" fruits and veggies we get have been nuked to slow down the natural break down and enhance the shelf life. So, you are eating food in which all of the good stuff has been killed! Besides that, I would rather eat the box a store tomato comes in than the tomato itself. The box just has so much more flavor!
    Support your local farmers market, start a farmers market or, start a community garden and learn how to can.
    I have some fresh cabbage in my garden right now bigger than basket balls! Fresh cukes and maters too!
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jul 22, 2006, 03:00 AM
    Regarding the earlier posts mentioning hormaones and their effects...

I have noticed a definite lack of 'hips' on our own girls which becomes even more noticeable when on holiday in Brazil, where they really DO have hips. I would certainly put this down to diet as even in the supermarkets there are far fewer junk foods on the shelves.

We know the women's lament... " Does my bum look big in this ??"... well in Brazil they DO... and it's lovely. (A purely male point of view :D )

Another thing has come to mind regarding this which trespasses onto another thread (Role of Women)... there are more women in the home, caring for the kids and cooking proper food!

On my daughter's first trip "down Rio way" she noticed a shop with "AVIARIA" over the door and was so pleased at noticing the similarity to our own word "aviary", announced that they must sell parrots and budgies there... She was somewhat disappointed when we got closer and saw the cages full of live chickens that would be killed and prepared on the premises - and
    Hey Folks ! They actually taste of CHICKEN :eek: ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for several weeks now. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago because she was not eating and would gag every time she did. On the way to vet she threw up a dead animal. It was raw meat, fur and claws. It really made me sick. I think it was a rabbit she had killed. ...

Eating [ 8 Answers ]

OK I have 2 problems, First my mom used to put people food in our two four year old Bichons when they wouldn't eat. She also hand fed them and gave them people food at and away from the dinner table a lot. Recently I have been training them to stop begging and there is no more table food. ...

Eating [ 16 Answers ]

Hi today I went to school and had like some crisps from one of my mates because I was hungry - that was at break - then at lunch I wasn't hungry at all. I haven't eaten since Tuesday night because yesterday I was just not hungry and then at dinner/tea etc time I had pizza but it made me feel sick...

Dog Not Eating [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, he is a picky eater, we feed him chicken with veggies and white rice. He is spoiled and given table scraps sometimes. Lately he has refused even the table food and only eats some when he is hand fed, then walks away. However, he has energy and...

Not Eating [ 3 Answers ]

I got my dog recentlyfrom a firend who can't keep him anymore and its said its half shitzou and half something else but not sure. When I first got it it ate everything we fed it human food dog food. But yesturday the ENTIRE day he ate absolutely NOTHING at all! Now I hear her stomach growling and...

View more questions Search