Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    contactlink Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Taxes on OPT/ H1B
    I have been in US from July 2003 to present. I was on F1 from Jul 2003 to Oct 2007 and on OPT from Oct 2007 - Sep 2008. On Oct 08, my H1B status kicked in and my employer is not detecting FICA taxes. I filed my taxes as F1 until 2007 with standard deductions. I would like to know the following:

1. Do I need to pay SSN & medicare for the entire 2008 or just for my H1B status period? If so what should I do to make the necessary changes?

2. What should I do for my 2008 tax returns? How do I get the tax benefits for being on OPT?

Please kindly let me know the required forms for filing 2008 tax returns.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Sat
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 31, 2008, 10:32 PM

You file taxes as F1 with standard deduction.
    What form did you file? What is your citizenship?

Irrespective to how you filed in 2007, you are resident for 2008. You will file resident tax return. You must pay FICA taxes on OPT.

Jan 1, 2009, 06:38 AM
    Thanks MukatA for your reply. Since 2003 to 2007 I was in LA and from Oct 07 to present I am in MN. Even then would I file taxes as a resident of MN?

- so FICA benefits could be claimed only for the first five years. As I mentioned earlier, my employer did not detected SSN and medicare earlier. What would you suggest in this situation? Do I pay the difference while filing tax return?

Thanks,
    Sat
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 1, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Sat:

You do NOT pay the FICA taxes with your tax return. You notify your employer of the mistake and let THEM determine what must be done. Notify them IN WRITING (email is good for this purpose). Once you do that, you have met your legal obligations. Your employer MAY or MAY NOT seek to correct their error and collect back FICA taxes.

For Minnesota, you file as a resident in 2008. Your visa status is irrelevant as far as stae taxes are concerned

Jan 1, 2009, 02:34 PM
    Thanks for your reply, Atlanta TaxExpert!

With reference to your reply, I would like to know

1. Does F1 student in USA required to pay SSN and Medicare taxes after five years of stay? Is this not required for less than five years except for any other VISA status such as H1B, J etc ?

2. Upon informing my employer about the FICA deductions which they failed to do, what should I do if they did not correct this and collect back FICA taxes?

3. Can I file tax returns, without this corrections being incorporated? If I file returns with this situation, would this back fire me in future? Would I be paying more while filing returns which I may owe due for FICA taxes?

Thanks,
    Sat
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:01 AM
    1) Normally, F-1 students become liable for Social Security and Medicare taxes after five years have passed UNLESS they are claiming a closer connection to their home country.

2) Nothing; it is out of your hands. If you persist in correcting the issue, you may find yourself terminated from employment.

3) You normally do NOT pay FICA taxes with your tax return, though you CAN if you file as an independent contractor and wish the IRS to investigate to see if you should be consideded an employee. That situation does NOT apply in your case. The IRS will NOT hold you responsible if FICA taxes are not paid; they will hold your EMPLOYER responsible if the back FICA taxes are not paid.

Jan 2, 2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks Atlanta TaxExpert!

- I would not risk my employment by trying to fix FICA payments
    - Would this affect my H1B stamping in future? I am yet to get my H1B stamping.

Regards,
    Sat
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Sat:

No, it should not. Again, the IRS does NOT look to the employee on such issues. They deal exclusively with the employer.

Jan 2, 2009, 03:29 PM

Thank you Atlanta Expert for answering my questions! I appreciate you time and consideration!

Regards,
    Sat
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 03:42 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file a 1099 self employed taxes and taxes in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone . I had a few tax related questions . My husband is pretty much self employed , he is a permanent resident of the united states etc. we live in Georgia . We wanted to know how do we file a self employed tax paper and how do we figure the precentages we are a family of 4 . With 2...

How to Claim Social Security taxes & medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on my CPT and OPT from July 2006 to June 2008 and paid Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, how can I claim them back? Thank you.

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

Estate taxes and gift taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I am the sole heir and executor of my late step Dad's estate. I sold the house as is for 155,000.00 and there waere two accounts totaling 20,000.00 plus two CDs totaling $8,000.00. Do I pay taxes on this? The estate tax is in IL and I live in CO. Also, if I give my brother and sister each...

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

View more questions Search