Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    birdleggsbell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Wireless router compatible with verizon usb broabband card
    Is there a wireless router that accepts a verizon usb broadband card?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 2, 2009, 09:47 AM

They are completely different things.

The Verizon card is for cellular wireless. The wireless router is for computer wireless.

Remote control toys are also wireless (unlike Pinocchio, well... before the magic) but you are unlikely going to use them to place a phone call.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 09:54 AM

Like chuckhole says there different but kind of the sam thing. A router/modem is your connection to the outside for internet through an ISP. Your broadband card/cellphone is your connection outside using the internet on your phone.

Your card is not a Wirless USB Network Adapter. Therefore it's a no go. Won't work with a router.

I believe this is correct, Chcukhole correct me if I'mwrong!
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Jan 2, 2009, 12:33 PM

Actually there ARE routers that will do this, but you will have to check with your providior of your wireless broadband card. You can find the routers elsewhere on the internet, but it's best to go through the providor so you can be sure that the router you get is actually going to support the device you have.
    Basically the router will have a USB port on it that the broadband card plugs into, and you will have to go into the router with a PC connected to it, to enter all your settings.
    Not all providors support plugging your broadband card into a router either, so you may be out of luck there, depending on what providor you have.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 01:49 PM

I did not know that, thank you retsoksirhc
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 5, 2009, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    i did not know that, thank you retsoksirhc
    All true but a real pain and much slower than a regular network connection. And you are locked in with that provider. A standard network connection is not so limiting as to be a workable solution only at one place. This is contrary to what a laptop is all about.
    Malevolent215 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 04:38 PM
    There is actually a decent market for these routers developing. When I was still living at home with my parents we were located in an area that did not offer any broadband alternatives besides satellite or a 3g card. As many people know Satellite broadband tends to be unreliable and quite pricey for the services and speeds they offer. So I chose a 3g service through verizon. Yes, 3g lack speed compared to landline broadband services but it still worked just fine. After a few months of being irritated by lack of signal in certain areas of the house and having to switch the card from PC to PC I invested in one of the routers offered by d-link. (it was one of the first ones released so was a pricey $200) My experience with it was great. I could position it in the area of the house that had the best signal and speed and I could either use it wireless or LAN like your typical wireless router.

Since then I have noticed many other companies have released these 3g wireless routers. So if you are looking for one it shouldn't be hard to find with a little research and contacting your provider.
    MellowRebel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Expensive but built just for this. http://www.cradlepoint.com/
    MellowRebel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2011, 09:33 AM
    Expensive but built for this. http://www.cradlepoint.com/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verizon DSL, Linksys router connection issues [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I am having internet connection problems. I have a Verizon DSL connection with a Westell Wirespeed modem connected to a Linksys BEFSR41 router. Two computers are connected to the router, one running XP the other Mac OSX. I have had this network running for sometime, but just lost the...

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

Wireless router that accepts verizon usb aircard [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a wireless router that accepts a Verizon USB aircard so I can use that aircard for a home wireless network?

DSL Connection by Verizon Router and DHCP [ 2 Answers ]

We have a dsl connection to the verizon westell router/firewall. I want to have the best access possible using desktop remote(DR). What would be the best course of connection when setting up these PCs and Server. I want to setup the server to control dhcp and Active directory. We are getting...

PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works. My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? ...

View more questions Search