Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    98JeepTJ Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Neighbor Cat Problems Pooping in My Flower Bed
    I don't have any complaints about my neighbor or any problems with animals as we own 2 dogs ourselves, but I'm at my witts end about my neighbors cat pooping in my flower bed in front of our bedroom windows.

The flower bed consists of bark (which I'm sure probably has some part in attracting the cat) but I'm constantly out there cleaning it up. I have talked with my neighbor and he understands but insists it's an outside cat and is free to roam. OK, I can live with that but is there something I can spray or do (which will not harm the cat) to keep him out of my flower bed?

Thanks in advance.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 98JeepTJ View Post
    I don't have any complaints about my neighbor or any problems with animals as we own 2 dogs ourselves, but I'm at my witts end about my neighbors cat pooping in my flower bed in front of our bedroom windows.

The flower bed consists of bark (which I'm sure probably has some part in attracting the cat) but I'm constantly out there cleaning it up. I have talked with my neighbor and he understands but insists it's an outside cat and is free to roam. OK, I can live with that but is there something I can spray or do (which will not harm the cat) to keep him out of my flower bed?

Thanks in advance.

Moth balls in the flower bed worked for me but I don't know if that works for all cats. There is also a commercial spray you can buy.
    kwhiston Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 09:56 AM

I love cats but alas they can be a problem in the garden. I have used upside down mouse traps. They will scare the poor kittys and then they will go elsewhere to do there business. :)
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhiston View Post
    I love cats but alas they can be a problem in the garden. I have used upside down mouse traps. They will scare the poor kittys and then they will go elsewhere to do there business. :)

A friend of mine was just telling me - she has 3 big dogs - that she collects dog urine and puts it in her flower beds to keep the cats away. I have no idea how she collects the urine or if that's terribly sanitary if she intends to do any gardening but thought it was an interesting concept - :D
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 2, 2009, 11:10 AM

I don't know if this is true or just a mythe, but a friend of mine swears it worked for her. Plant marigolds in your garden, they are a natural deterrent, cats don't like the smell.

Citrus is another natural deterrent, as are moth balls (which Judy mentioned).

Ammonia works too, but do not spread it on your garden or your plants will die. Fill glass containers with ammonia, bury the containers in the garden to the neck of the container. This will deter the cats, but it can be dangerous to children and or other pets so I don't really recommend this method.

That's all I've got, I hope one of them works for you. :)
    susananne Posts: 94, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2009, 01:30 PM

There is something called Liquid Fence.. it is coyote urine... it reeks to high heaven for awhile.. but it works...
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by susananne View Post
    there is some thing called Liquid Fence..it is coyote urine...it reeks to high heaven for awhile..but it works...

Well, I guess I could have a worse job than I already have. I COULD be the person following the coyotes around with a specimen container.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 07:18 PM

Hi, 98JeepTJ!

If you put netting just under the top portion of the bark, or even on top of the bark, if it's not unattractive, that will then make it much more difficult for the cat to dig like they like to do when they do their business.

Thanks!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 09:19 PM
    Netting works a bit... but after a while the cats don't bother to dig... just squat. My neighbor put out plates of food for all the stray cats... and they did their business in my yard. They soiled everywhere, they took songbirds right off the feeders and made gardening not worth doing anymore. My yard smelled from the neighbors cats. It was embarrassing. The best thing to do is confront the neighbor. If they won't do anything, trap the cats humanely and take them to a shelter. It'll get worse before it gets better.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2009, 09:26 PM

Get one of these:

Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler

If you want to get fancy, you can probably add a wireless water valve, so when you lets the dogs out, you can turn it off remotely.
    KERAVANTI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2009, 09:25 PM
    ;)

Best of luck to you with this answer... It worked for me and continues to work... I sprinkle cayenne powder. I guess any kind of chili powder could work. Not very nice, but really works. Like I said, best of luck
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2009, 09:29 PM
    I won't use cayenne powder for one reason... it's cruel. The cat's get it in their eyes, and eventually scratch their eyes out from the irritation. And I'm not an animal rights freak, but know a vet who swears this is accurate. As much as I dislike the pests, I won't go that far.
    prolinecody Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2009, 03:04 PM

Put a litter box beside your flower bed.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 12:43 PM

You can get cat pellets a kind of blue colour that you sprinkle around your flowers, that's quite effective, also cat pepper is very good, I know you say you wouldn't use anything like that, but I've used it for years and the cats never get close enough for it to get into their eyes they can kind of sense it's there.

Another way, told to me buy my neighbour... it does work... fill with water 2ltr empty lemonade bottles, lay them in your flower beds ,making sure they are not obstructed in any way, apparently the cats come along to investigate see their reflection in the bottle and run away... absolutely true, lastly why not invest in a cat alarm, it goes in your garden and sounds should the cat come near, humans cannot hear a thing, again this is brilliant.

Bye for now
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan View Post
    You can get cat pellets a kind of blue colour that you sprinkle around your flowers, that's quite effective, also cat pepper is very good, i know you say you wouldn't use anything like that, but i've used it for years and the cats never get close enough for it to get into their eyes they can kind of sense it's there.

Another way, told to me buy my neigbour...it does work..... fill with water 2ltr empty lemonade bottles, lay them in your flower beds ,making sure they are not obstructed in any way, apparently the cats come along to investigate see their reflection in the bottle and run away.... absolutely true, lastly why not invest in a cat alarm, it goes in your garden and sounds should the cat come near, humans cannot hear a thing, again this is brilliant.

Bye for now

And I saw in a garden catalog that there is some sort of automatic device, sort of a sprinkler hose, and when the animal crosses the beam the sprinkler turns on. (Of course, every time I went outside I would probably forget about it and "sprinkle" myself but it might be worth looking into.)
    polly123 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2009, 03:19 PM

Hi, dust ground cayenne pepper all in the flower bed... when sniffed, they take off and the pepper will not hurt the plants.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by polly123 View Post
    Hi, dust ground cayenne pepper all in the flower bed...when sniffed, they take off and the pepper will not hurt the plants.

This has been suggested. There is some concern that while it won't hurt the plants, it is cruel to the cats.
    polly123 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Cats have a very sensitive smell... they do not actually get it on them or even in their nose.. it just deters them.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Mar 10, 2009, 04:09 PM

I think I would keep a hose handy. When you actually see the cat coming to use your garden as a toilet, a good spray with the hose enough times will probably teach it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 11, 2009, 01:11 PM

Actually cayenne works because the cats smell it and back off. They don't get close enough to scratch at it, they detest the smell and run off.

I just live with the problem, and don't consider it a big deal. I don't use my hands to root around in my flower beds anymore cause can't work on my knees,

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neighbor Problems [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, let me start with my user name is a direct reflection of this problem. This is long, so here goes... We have neighbors that are "friends". They moved next to us almost 10 years ago. Our children are the same age. I'd say it started one day, while I was pregnant with my 2nd child...

Neighbor problems [ 1 Answers ]

Okay so let me start from the beginning... So a family friend moved in downstairs about two weeks ago. He didn't have any money but he drives.. So I paid for his gas and he takes me to work and always says he'll pay me back. He borrows money for other things that he doesn't even tell me the...

Neighbor problems and out of money! [ 9 Answers ]

Please bare with me if I have posted in the wrong forum. I'm in desperate need of some help or advice!! Five years ago we bought our rural house on 5 acres. Our property runs lengthwise and there is no one around except for 1 neighbor about 400 feet behind us. From the day we moved in problems...

Me and My Family are having Major Neighbor Problems [ 8 Answers ]

At the end of June, my old neighbors moved out. They were always having loud parties and arguments and we had to call the police on them about 15 times in less than two years. In the beginning of July, we got some new neighbors. There is a 19-year-old and an 18-year-old living there now. On the...

Doxie Pooping problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old puppy I bought a week ago from a breeder. I have been trying the crate method of potty training. His crate is very smally only enough room to sit, lay down and turn around in. WHen we first put him in there he barked and wined non stop for hours, but now it seems he is getting...

View more questions Search