Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CollegeMom85 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2008, 08:36 AM
    Need to lighten my black hair!

Alright, so about 4 or 5 months ago, I got a wild hair and dyed my hair from dark brown to black, to try something different. I knew at first that I wouldnt be able to dye over it, and it wasnt a problem then, because I liked it. But I thought it would atleast fade over time. It hasnt. My roots have grown out about an inch, but the rest is still black. Im wanting something different, just a medium brown again, NO BLONDE. I dont want to bleach my hair or anything like that. I did the blonde thing before, and not my style anymore. I dont want an insane impossible blonde, like most ive read, I just want a medium brown. Any tips on how to do this without the strippers and bleach? Ive been reading advice, and I am still unclear on what would actually work. Also, if you leave advice, please be specific on exactly what and how much or how long, because Im not up for experimenting on my hair! I just want something that works! Thanks a lot =)
    hellothere1 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Dec 31, 2008, 11:21 AM

I dyed my hair once expecting a nice dark brown but I came out black, it was a horrible black as well and sort of blotchy. I washed my hair about 7 times in a row with washing up liquid and it shed the black colour a lot surprisingly. I would recommend this but also remember to condition it like crazy! Also, I don't know whether this would work so get someone else's advice on it also, but you could try dying it with a blonde colour.. which would probably make it gingery but then buy a medium brown hair dye to dye on top of it?

Hope this helped! X
    ScarletSea Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2009, 10:19 AM

I think you will have to bleach...
    My hair was really dark and nothing budged it!
    If your hairs in really good condition get 12% peroxide and leave it on your hair until orange (no longer than an hour) then leave over night and put Nice 'n' Easy light ash brown. This really worked for me!

Good Luck =]

Jan 4, 2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks to both of you for replying. I really dont want to go the bleaching route if I dont have to, but if I do, I guess I will. Now when I do the bleaching (and yes I have really good cond. hair) how do I know how to do the 12% peroxide and all that? Never in my life done this, so I need dummy instructions! Also, when I do this and then recolor over it, is this something I can do over the weekend or something? Im not going into public or my classes with orange hair!! LOL! Please reply if you can!
    aliciaa- Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Jan 9, 2009, 05:51 PM

I've had the same problem, I'm afraid you're just going to have to wait it out, because you don't want to damage your hair before you next dye it otherwise you're risking making your hair weak enough to fall out. Just use anti-dandruff shampoo & conditioner. Also during the summer, mix 1part lemon juice to 2part conditioner and put it in your hair, this will lighten in, I tried it in cyprus and it works surprisingly well! :) xo

Jan 9, 2009, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aliciaa- View Post
    ive had the same problem, im afraid youre just going to have to wait it out, becuase you dont want to damage your hair before you next dye it otherwise youre risking making your hair weak enough to fall out. just use anti-dandruff shampoo & conditioner. also during the summer, mix 1part lemon juice to 2part conditioner and put it in your hair, this will lighten in, i tried it in cyprus and it works suprisingly well! :) xo

Would this work now, during January months? I am in florida and trust me, its summer weather even in January!!!! haha. Thanks for replying!
    laurenJhartley Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2011, 01:21 PM
    Bleach damages your hair loads I suggest go to your local store boots or superdrug and get platnaum blonde LIVE it colours just as well as bleach but doesn't ruin your hair

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I lighten black hair dye [ 9 Answers ]

I dyed my hair a black shade. Called natural black. I thought because it was not blue black it would not be so harsh, WRONG. Just horrid. It makes my pale 45 yr old face look tired and haggard. I need to lighted this up without stripping. Please help.

Best way to lighten accidental almost black hair? [ 4 Answers ]

I have dyed my hair a few times this year and all have been pretty successful - same color and everything each time. This time, however, I tried dyingit the same dark brown and it turned out to be pretty dark, almost black and I can't stand it this dark. I read you can use Prell or Dawn with a...

How can I lighten dyed black hair? Can I ever dye it light brown again? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I've read a couple of posts on this subject but I was wondering... I dyed my hair dark brown but it turned out blue-black. I rushed to the store and bought Color Oops! (it's supposed to reverse the dye and bring you back to your original hair color) and it lightened and I thought my...

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

Peroxide mixture to lighten dyed black hair [ 1 Answers ]

I am new to this so bare with me. Iwould like to find out what combination of hydrogen peroxide and shampoo or something else I could use to lighten my daughters hair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

View more questions Search