Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamara4 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
    a/c compressor won't kick in
    I have a window a/c unit with a compressor that won't kick in. I took the unit apart and noticed the control wire on the compressor looked burnt and corroded. I took the wire off and put a new connector on, but still no go. I noticed however when I left the control wire disconnected I could hear the thermostat kick in and then there was power in the control wire and when I would touch it to the compressor the compressor came on and once it reached temperature it would shut off on its own. But if I leave the wire connected to the compressor and then turn the unit on, the thermostat never kicks on and of course neither does the compressor. Does this mean my compressor needs to be replaced? Any infor sure would be helpful. Thanks.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 18, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Sounds like an overload disc is bad.

Jul 18, 2006, 09:01 PM
    Thanks for replying. I replaced the overload protector that the control wire connects to before you actually connect to the compressor, but still the compressor doesn't kick in. I don't know if that is what you mean by an overload disc or not.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 19, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Yes The little disc which sits in the connector area of the compressor. If you've replaced that, and the compressor does not come on, then are you getting any amp reading from the line? If not, you may have a bad start capacitor, or the thermostat is not sending a signal to the compressor. Is your thermostat "clicking"?
    If you are getting an amp reading and it's higher than your LRA, your compressor is locked up.

Jul 20, 2006, 08:46 AM
    After replacing that part I still didn't hear the thermostat kick in. But when I disconnected the black control wire from the disc and let it hang loose and then turn the unit on I could hear the thermostat click and when I touched the wire to the disc the compressor kicked on. For some reason, though, the thermostat won't click on if I leave everything connected and then turn the unit on. I don't have anything to measure amps and volts and what not, I am kind of thinking there is something wrong with the compressor itself. So I might just break down and take it in to the shop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you score a Free Kick on FIFA 2004 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! Please help me I don't know how to score a free kick on FIFA 2004 (PS2) I just kick it to high and really annoys me:mad: please help me :o thank you;) I don't know

Air Compressor [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new air compressor for my hot rod fabrication. The specifications are as follows, 5.5hp 80gal 24amp 240v. My question is, it calls for a 30 amp breaker and time delay fuse, Type "T". I am running 6/2 wire to supply the unit, it is about 90 ft from the main panel so we ran 6/2 for minimal...

Have to trip thermostat switch to kick heat on [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes (its happened three times, twice in last month) the heater is not kicking on. After we trip the fan-auto switch back and forth the heat will come on. It is an janitron thermostat-not digital--more than 6 years old. Gas furnace, also probably more than 6 years old. Could this be a...

When does starvation/ mode kick in [ 1 Answers ]

So Im trying to maximize my excersize time and put off eating until after exercising. I don't want my body going into the starvation mode how do I balance this? I often get interupted after 15/ 20 of low impact and sometimes don't get to finish of big with some explosive weight lifting or...

Wiring prob? - compressor won't kick on [ 1 Answers ]

I had some work done by a repairman last fall because my pilot would not light. He said it was a wire that came loose and fixed it. Now, my compressor won't come on. Blower comes on fine. Based on some other concerns with this repairman and the previous problem, I suspect wiring. Plus, there...

View more questions Search