Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmanderf Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Cover brick on fireplace
    I want to cover the brick on my fireplace with a simple procedure either with tile or maybe some kind of material that I could simply paint or put a faux finish on either faux tile or marble or other choices of faux finishes. I haven't a lot of money so this would be a least expensive project for me.

Thank you for your help...
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2008, 08:49 PM
    There's a couple of different ways to attack this.

For tile finish use a 1/2 cement hard board and glue and tapcon that to the face of the fireplace and ready to tile or marble

Tap con screw galv. Stucco wire mesh on to face and use mortar to parge over wire and do a textured finish and seal and paint.

Use Tap con screw and caulk adhesive to hang 5/8 fire rated drywall and compound finish seal and paint

Just paint the brick?

signed 21 boat

If my answer helped please rate my answer

Mar 23, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Theres a couple of different ways to attack this.

For tile finish use a 1/2 cement hard board and glue and tapcon that to the face of the fireplace and ready to tile or marble

Tap con screw galv. stucco wire mesh on to face and use mortar to parge over wire and do a textured finish and seal and paint.

Use Tap con screw and caulk adhesive to hang 5/8 fire rated drywall and compound finish seal and paint

Just paint the brick?

signed 21 boat

If my answer helped please rate my answer
    1st paragraph: I'm a bit confused. Do you mean 1/2 "inch" cement hard board?
    Then what is "tapcon"? What kind of "glue" do I use?
    And, how do I "ready" for tile or marble?

2nd paragraph: Use "Tap con screw" and what is "galv."? And what is "parge"? And what do I use to seal this?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "hang" 5/8 fire rated drywall and compound finish"

I am sorry but I'm a layman and not at all real handy with these types of things. I don't want to paint the brick as brick is no longer in style.
    I appreciate all of the information you give me.

Mar 23, 2009, 07:50 PM

2nd paragraph: Use "Tap con screw" and what is "galv."? And what is "parge"? And what do I use to seal this?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "hang" 5/8 fire rated drywall and compound finish"

I am sorry but I'm a layman and not at all real handy with these types of things. I don't want to paint the brick as brick is no longer in style.

Mar 23, 2009, 07:50 PM

Mar 23, 2009, 07:51 PM

21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2009, 08:11 PM

So what's are you leaning to here.

Tile will need a backer board for a good job.

If you are going to paint it then a fire rated drywall can work here ( check local codes for that)

Or use stucco wire and use mortar to go over wire. Mortar has several possibilities in color and texture finish.

The cheapest is the drywall then the stucco then tiling.

Tap cons is masonry/concrete screw to apply sheeting to masonry in conjunction with caulk adhesive
    Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painting Brick Fireplace [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to paint the brick around our fireplace to update the look. I would like to know what products and methods of applying are available.

Facelift for Fireplace Brick [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, Our fireplace is out dated and we want to give it a fresh look but still keep it in line with our country theme. The brick is currently a blackish reddish color with black/charcoal grout. We would like to give it an antique brick (white washed)look similar to the picture below . Has...

Brick fireplace [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for info on how to make a brick fireplace smooth? How or what products do I need to make that possible without it cracking?

Drywall over a brick fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to drywall over the top half of my natural brick fireplace to update the look of the house. Can I use standard drywall, or do I need a cement board? Also, do I need to use 2x2 strips to secure to brick, then drywall to 2x2's or can I attach directly to the brick wall? Are their...

Refinishing brick fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I've been refinishing a fireplace/mantel, which has included stripping layers of paint off the brick fireplace. After months of chemical applications, most of the paint is off, but there are still some stubborn remnants that just aren't coming out - they seem to have soaked into the brick, and...

View more questions Search