Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    detroitdiesel Posts: 31, Reputation: 2

Jul 18, 2006, 06:50 AM
    200 amp service cable
    Good moring everyone! Quick question, I'm still in the process of upgrading to 200 amp service. I've purchaced a panel box and the guy I bought it off said he'll give me the service cable with it.

The question I'm trying to find out is, the size wire he is giving me going to work 2/0, 4/0, 6/0 gauge.

Sorry for any confusion.

I just don't want to get the wrong wire and be stuck with it.

Thanks for all info
    Ryan:confused:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Assuming aluminum service cable, the minimum size is #4/0 for 200 amp residential service.

Be sure to also ask for some anti-oxidant compound to apply to the bare aluminum at each mechanical connection.

Hope this helps, any other questions, don't heistate to get back with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable [ 23 Answers ]

I am re-wiring an old house. It is a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. We put in a 200 amp service and need to run a service entrance cable about 20 -25 ft to the inside breaker panel. My question is how big of a gauge wire should we run for the service entance cable. #? 3 conductor with ground in...

Service entrance cable [ 2 Answers ]

Having new 100amp meter installed professionally,but I am burying wire to the building which is 125' from where meter is mounted. Will I have to upsize the size of wire because of the distance? I also intend to enclose in conduit, so I'm not worried about using "U" coded wire

RG6 cable [ 3 Answers ]

I am running wire for my satellite dish for my basement. There are two types of RG6 at Lowe's. RG6 and Digital RG6. What does the satellite and cable companies use. I can buy 250' of digital and 500' of the regular both for $70 I don't know what's best.

SER Cable [ 1 Answers ]

Is SER cable (0,0,0,2) direct bury, or must it be in conduit?

BX Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for cutting BX armored cable without buying a special tool? I just have to cut two wires to tap into the line but am a little afraid of damaging the wires inside. Thanks. Dave.

View more questions Search