Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elbee Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2006, 04:54 AM
    Central Air not working... Anything else I can try before calling someone in?
    We've only run the AC twice this year, went to turn it on Saturday with the latest heat wave and it didn't cool. I've cleaned the coils/fins on the outside unit, but have done nothing inside as of yet. However, the compressor is not coming on. We have dogs, and have to pay close attention to our filter, but don't always, so it is possible there is dirt inside. If I clean the evaporator coils might that fix whatever is stopping the compressor from running? Is there anything else I can check before calling a tech? What else could be wrong besides needing a new compressor (ouch)?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jul 18, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Sounds like an electrical problem, not a coil problem.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2006, 09:54 PM
    When a unit is not running the first thing you always is make sure the thermostat is calling for cooling and is in the right setting. Next is to check the power to the unit, high voltage and also low voltage. If your air handler is running that should mean that your transformer is OK, if you have someone to help you have them turn the thermostat up and down as you listen out by the condenser. If you have a loud click that means that your contactor is pulling in but does not mean that power is going through the points. Check the high voltage on the incoming power lines, if you do not have power then check your fuses or your breakers or both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calling all Psychics... Please Help! [ 3 Answers ]

I asked Maria this question but decided I should put it in the main forum... I'm a single working mother of 2 and concerned about my career and ultimately my ability to financially support my WONDERFUL children. I've been at my current job for nearly 5 yrs and have done pretty well. It's been a...

Central AC not working properly [ 5 Answers ]

My central ac works for a 1 or 2 hours then fan on the exterior unit stops turning (motor still running) and shortly after hot air comes out of the vents. I will then shut it off, by turning off the thermostat for about 2 hours and it will work again for about 1 to 2 hours. Unfortunately for me,...

Calling Girlfriend A Lot [ 12 Answers ]

Ok me and my girlfriend have been going out for 7 months and I was obssessive like, always calling her while she is busy and when she doesn't awnser when she is busy I start saying "you dont love me do you" or "youre gona forget about me" I was a real pain I can imagine and then just one day she...

View more questions Search